Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talking Books

They took away our off duty section. So, I'm starting an off duty thread. Feel free to do the same. No one is paying attention to what we want, anyway.

Just finished Steve Alexander's latest. Great read.
    Noticed books on kindle cost about the same as paperback. So, I think I'll stick with paper, as it's easier to read in bed. My iPad is more for games, and reference.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Books

I like having a book as well. The kindle/tablet is convenient but changes the experience. I'm in the process of the 2nd "Dark Tower" book (Stephen King). It's a series I've been reading on and off for quite awhile and am enjoying it at a slow pace.

Is this thread about good books or is it about kindle vs book? I would hate to derail your thread on the first post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I like having a book as well. The kindle/tablet is convenient but changes the experience. I'm in the process of the 2nd "Dark Tower" book (Stephen King). It's a series I've been reading on and off for quite awhile and am enjoying it at a slow pace.

Is this thread about good books or is it about kindle vs book? I would hate to derail your thread on the first post.
    Those are my favorite SK books. Not sure how I felt about him going back after he finished the series and writing book 4.5 but I still bought it, read it, and liked it....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been devouring the black library collection of warhammer 40,000. Never did understand, or have the will to learn the games, but the books are excellent. Also about to re-read Starship Troopers by Heinlin. That should be mandatory reading for everyone.

-3D
    These Marines have grown up in a world of war. Its all they know, so they dont understand that violence isnt an answer to injustice. For them, violence is more of a question, and the answer is always yes.

Quote Originally Posted by F4CrewChick View Post
    I'll try to explain later, have to go to work now but I do agree with much of what you say.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIn3D View Post
    I have been devouring the black library collection of warhammer 40,000. Never did understand, or have the will to learn the games, but the books are excellent. Also about to re-read Starship Troopers by Heinlin. That should be mandatory reading for everyone.

-3D
    If you're into the fantasy battle type stories you should read some of the Warcraft books. Just as with Warhammer, you don't have to be into the game to like the books.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Those are my favorite SK books. Not sure how I felt about him going back after he finished the series and writing book 4.5 but I still bought it, read it, and liked it....
    I'm looking forward to reading the new one, but will wait to try and keep everything chronological.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIn3D View Post

-3D
    Heinlein's work really sang to me when I was a teenager in the early 1950s. I've never understood why the title of this work was changed. It was published in a magazine in a series under the title "Starship Soldiers." But when it appeared as a book it was the more awkward "Starship Troopers." Later in life, I met and wrote about an Army musician who had a role in creating The Ballad of Rodger Young. "Starship Troopers" is nowhere near Heinlein's best work, hasn't held up well, and became one of the truly worst movies ever made. But those guys in the Citadel fighting the Pan-Asians, now THAT was a story. That book also appeared under two titles, one of which was "The Day After Tomorrow."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be interested to learn how popular e-books are among military members and their families.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    I'd be interested to learn how popular e-books are among military members and their families.
    I like them for the most part, mainly because of storage reasons. I know improvements are being made everyday, but my biggest problem is the rendering of some formats. For example, the quotation marks sometimes appear in the text as squares or things like that. My wife is not on board, but I am.

I also appreciate that with most readers, the user can choose the font size and background color based on preference, ambiant lighting, etc.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Currently reading " insurgent" 2nd book in a series. Seems to be about a futurist society. Good read.