Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

For those of you stationed stateside, I'm sure some of you in the past 2 years have seen how some have now entered into contracts with Aramark and Sodexo and now there is a bigger variety of food and "college campus style" dining.

What do you think of it and did you like the old ways where it was cheaper and more simple? I didn't think it was necessary and the military is already having problems with weight

Not only that, Aramark and Sodexo are notoriously shady food service giants that have monopolies at most public universities with dysfunctional management and mistreatment of employees. Our food service was always nonprofit, but now we're making money with this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

guess it cuts into the airfarce stealth sales on saturdays...

JD2780

Personally I miss the reef on Hurby. One price all you can eat. It was awesome for a 20 year TACP student. Just had to make sure the tray ninjas didnt swoop down and take your tray when you looked away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Personally I miss the reef on Hurby. One price all you can eat. It was awesome for a 20 year TACP student. Just had to make sure the tray ninjas didnt swoop down and take your tray when you looked away.
    The first time I went in there I thought "this is different". After that, it became the standard that I judged all other chow halls. They also had a place by the flightline that had the best philly cheese steaks (and chicken) outside of philly. It was nice because it was right on the other side of our fence so we could actually get a meal instead of relying on box nasties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    That was the first thing I thought when I read the OP. Back at Scott they had tray ninjas and they were stealthy. I hope they continue with hiring them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Haven't tried it. But I assume the dorm residents will like it, and since they are the reason the DFAC exists and they have to eat there, their opinion on the matter is what should count.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A great metaphor for the notion that the Air Force is one great big campus. We can blame social trends for some of that, but we can blame former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates for stripping away the last vestige of air power and reducing this military service branch to a sorority that dabbles in useless aircraft and equipment designed for the wrong purpose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    For those of you stationed stateside, I'm sure some of you in the past 2 years have seen how some have now entered into contracts with Aramark and Sodexo and now there is a bigger variety of food and "college campus style" dining.

What do you think of it and did you like the old ways where it was cheaper and more simple? I didn't think it was necessary and the military is already having problems with weight

Not only that, Aramark and Sodexo are notoriously shady food service giants that have monopolies at most public universities with dysfunctional management and mistreatment of employees. Our food service was always nonprofit, but now we're making money with this
    In my opinion the decline of AF food servcie was two part. The first was the switch to Aramark/Sodexo and the second was most units providing blanket BAS authorizations for dorm Airmen. I lived in the dorms at WPAFB and the food was absolutely terrible. Most of the dorm Airmen just paid out of pocket and ate somewhere else. The on;y decent meals were breakfast and lunch (coincidentally the meals that commanders and shirts might happen to stop by for). When we complained they always said they loved the food at the DFAC. What they failed to realize was that the lunch meal was simply reheated for dinner. I actually convinced a few shirts to try dinner at the DFAC and they were disgusted. The problem was that so many Amn were on BAS that the chow hall was already losing money. It is hard to improve a service when that service is already losing money. That is also the reason most clubs, bowling alleys, and other base services are terrible. They cannot improve because they have no income and leadership refuses to throw mor emoney because "on one uses them"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Dont most new dorm rooms have kitchens?
    Yes, the dorm I lived in was 4 rooms (each with its own bathroom) connected in the middle by a kitchen and small dining room. We tried making the argument that since we had kitchens it would be better for us to recieve BAS and cook our own food. You know what the command Chief's answer was? "If we did that then we would have to teach Amn how to cook in FTAC"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Yes, the dorm I lived in was 4 rooms (each with its own bathroom) connected in the middle by a kitchen and small dining room. We tried making the argument that since we had kitchens it would be better for us to recieve BAS and cook our own food. You know what the command Chief's answer was? "If we did that then we would have to teach Amn how to cook in FTAC"
    Do they have to teach everyone that moves out of the dorm how to cook? Do they have to teach everyone that moves into housing how to cook? That is an absurd assertation....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings