Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

  1. #21
    Senior Member 71Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Frunchard.
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Personally I miss the reef on Hurby. One price all you can eat. It was awesome for a 20 year TACP student. Just had to make sure the tray ninjas didnt swoop down and take your tray when you looked away.
    Hurby was my first base. At the chow hall there was this small Korean lady who operated the gravy ladle like nobodies business. When your plate got to her she said "graby sir?" and before I ever had a chance to answer she was pouring that nasty brown gravy on my rice. Then there was the old lady who stood by the door to make sure I didn't take apples. Then there was going to mid night chow, underage, drunk and in uniform to get an omelet or fried chicken. Sorry, little trip down memory lane.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Okay, it's obvious most folks responding to this post don't like military chow. But who can blame them? The food received is so processed and sulphured and is no better than what you get at a school cafeteria. Military chow has always been preserved and with little food value other than simple carbs, salt, and sugar.

    From a former Services man's point of view, we were "pimped" and made to work twice as hard with many civilian contractors that worked as line servers or salads losing their jobs and we had to assume the responsibility.

    Food service is such a thankless job and if the food isn't that great, it's usually not the cooks fault, just the crap that is cooked needs to be dressed up well to make it somewhat appealing

    And I don't blame the Airmen for avoiding the DFAC's, but they need to know they can have better than fast food, but this young generation that is in now doesn't know any better, for the most part. Fast food is now a way of life and even so-called "home cooked meals" are usually the same processed garbage they get at the dining halls

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    During my time on active duty (70s-90s) found AF dining hall food anywhere from good to outstanding. Much better in general than Army dining hall food. I have a hard time thinking things haven't continued to improve. If there were an AF dining hall nearby that would let this retiree in, I'd be glad to have a meal there.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    Hurby was my first base. At the chow hall there was this small Korean lady who operated the gravy ladle like nobodies business. When your plate got to her she said "graby sir?" and before I ever had a chance to answer she was pouring that nasty brown gravy on my rice. Then there was the old lady who stood by the door to make sure I didn't take apples. Then there was going to mid night chow, underage, drunk and in uniform to get an omelet or fried chicken. Sorry, little trip down memory lane.
    Brings back memories of midnight meals on Friday nights at Goodfellow, back in the 70s. Didn't have to be in uniform to eat. Good times, good times...

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    During my time on active duty (70s-90s) found AF dining hall food anywhere from good to outstanding. Much better in general than Army dining hall food. I have a hard time thinking things haven't continued to improve. If there were an AF dining hall nearby that would let this retiree in, I'd be glad to have a meal there.
    Sadly, the food quality is still stuck in those decades. Most young people would rather have something in the vein of Chipotle, Panera Bread, or whatever the local spot is outside the gate. Instead you get powdered mashed potatoes, green tomatoes, brown lettuce, and the highly processed salisbury steak or perfect circle chicken patty and canned vegetables that are further boiled down into oblivion. Im sure everyone has the one favorite meal they like from the chow hall but its few and far between. Just another part of the military that is being surpassed by the civillian sector

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Sadly, the food quality is still stuck in those decades. Most young people would rather have something in the vein of Chipotle, Panera Bread, or whatever the local spot is outside the gate. Instead you get powdered mashed potatoes, green tomatoes, brown lettuce, and the highly processed salisbury steak or perfect circle chicken patty and canned vegetables that are further boiled down into oblivion. Im sure everyone has the one favorite meal they like from the chow hall but its few and far between. Just another part of the military that is being surpassed by the civillian sector
    Understand. Believe every base has some sort of food advisory council to address the dining halls. Believe unit first sergeants, commanders, and certain junior enlisted unit members would be on these councils, along with base command, Services reps, and, as appropriate, the contracting officer's representative. Aren't these people doing their jobs? Personally, if I were a commander, a shirt, or a member of the food advisory council, and people were bitching to me about the food in the dining hall, I'd certainly bring the issues up in the food council meeting. If there are problems, or the dining hall isn't providing what people like to eat, the diners need to complain.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Understand. Believe every base has some sort of food advisory council to address the dining halls. Believe unit first sergeants, commanders, and certain junior enlisted unit members would be on these councils, along with base command, Services reps, and, as appropriate, the contracting officer's representative. Aren't these people doing their jobs? Personally, if I were a commander, a shirt, or a member of the food advisory council, and people were bitching to me about the food in the dining hall, I'd certainly bring the issues up in the food council meeting. If there are problems, or the dining hall isn't providing what people like to eat, the diners need to complain.
    Is there really a food advisory council? I have never heard of that. I do think it would be an awesome idea though. The problem with just about any service organization in the AF is that they have a monopoly. If you are on a meal card you only have one option to recieve free food. The same goes for finance, MPF, medical, etc. If you want the service you have one place to get it. Most of the time these organizations think they are doing great and that around 1% of their customers are recieveing bad service. They justify the status quo by convincing theirselves that it truely is only about 1% recieving bad service. I know this first hand from working at finance. It was pretty easy to write off any complaint by saying "everyone makes a mistake" instead of actually addressing the problem. I think a council like you mentioned would be a great forum to get all complaints together and see if there truely is a trend.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Is there really a food advisory council? I have never heard of that. I do think it would be an awesome idea though. The problem with just about any service organization in the AF is that they have a monopoly. If you are on a meal card you only have one option to recieve free food. The same goes for finance, MPF, medical, etc. If you want the service you have one place to get it. Most of the time these organizations think they are doing great and that around 1% of their customers are recieveing bad service. They justify the status quo by convincing theirselves that it truely is only about 1% recieving bad service. I know this first hand from working at finance. It was pretty easy to write off any complaint by saying "everyone makes a mistake" instead of actually addressing the problem. I think a council like you mentioned would be a great forum to get all complaints together and see if there truely is a trend.
    If you are active duty ask your shirt. He/she will know. Chances are your shirt may either be on the food advisory council or can tell you who is on it and how to contact them. Believe it or not, the upper echelons are concerned about the quality of food served in the dining hall. Doesn't look good in various ways if the dining halls are underused in comparison to the eligible base population. And believe it or not, even if a contractor runs the dining hall they want you to eat there. They want the revenues and the option years of the contract. If people aren't happy with the food the contractor wants to know so they can fix things. The base food advisory council is a great way to get the message across.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    There is a food advisory council, but it is mostly lip service. It has more to do with service hours and the like. No matter what people ask for, there will still be Tyson chicken patties and powdered mashed potatoes from Sysco/Sodexo being served up.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

    There is a food advisory council, but it is mostly lip service. It has more to do with service hours and the like. No matter what people ask for, there will still be Tyson chicken patties and powdered mashed potatoes from Sysco/Sodexo being served up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •