Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: The new food service and dining hall plans at some Air Force bases

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Do they have to teach everyone that moves out of the dorm how to cook? Do they have to teach everyone that moves into housing how to cook? That is an absurd assertation....
    You learn to cook or you starve. Or gain 50 lbs on junk food.

When I moved out of the dorms I'd never really had to cook. So I bought a Betty Crocker cookbook and tried a new reciepe every week. Ate like a king and learned a lot too. This isn't something mommy AF needs to address. Now, if a troop comes up to me and asks for help, thats another thing. I've taught some how to do laundry.

But most are going to figure it out on their own.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post

When I moved out of the dorms I'd never really had to cook. So I bought a Betty Crocker cookbook and tried a new reciepe every week. Ate like a king and learned a lot too. This isn't something mommy AF needs to address. Now, if a troop comes up to me and asks for help, thats another thing. I've taught some how to do laundry.

In the KMC, I lived in the dorm, got BAS (no DFAC) and they didn't give me a cooking class...yet I managed to survive as did everyone else that lived in my dorm....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think retirees should be eligible to eat at the Dining Hall.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

After an Airman nearly started a fire by dumping a whole bag of frozen french fries into a pot FULL of hot oil, the base I was at made all dorm Airmen attend a cooking class (focused on safety & nutrition). It is sad that we need to teach some folks everything (like how to dress, clean, bathe, cook, eat, etc.) but when they didn't learn it at home...

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    A great metaphor for the notion that the Air Force is one great big campus. We can blame social trends for some of that, but we can blame former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates for stripping away the last vestige of air power and reducing this military service branch to a sorority that dabbles in useless aircraft and equipment designed for the wrong purpose.

How about the CSAF that decided the AF needs to be more corporate than military like. What a/c do view as useless? I'm sure I can find very good usage for every airframe we have.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post

Exactly, most have never lived away from mom, so if they ask for help, why wouldnt I help them?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Sometimes less is more. Nomsayin??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    After an Airman nearly started a fire by dumping a whole bag of frozen french fries into a pot FULL of hot oil, the base I was at made all dorm Airmen attend a cooking class (focused on safety & nutrition). It is sad that we need to teach some folks everything (like how to dress, clean, bathe, cook, eat, etc.) but when they didn't learn it at home...
    My spouse has started half a dozen fires yet no base I have ever been at, mandated all spouses attend a cooking class...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Exactly, most have never lived away from mom, so if they ask for help, why wouldnt I help them?
    The only thing worse than ignorance is not taking steps to correct it.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I lived off base for many years and survived on my own cooking. Thankfully my parents taught me how to cook and do laundry. Some airman are able to figure it out and others not so much. Maybe the Airman and Family Readiness Center should have a "Living on Your Own Class" for airman who need it before moving out of the dorms.