Thread: Defense secretary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MilitaryTimes.com Community Editor CommunityEditor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Defense secretary

Hagel vows to ‘take care’ of DoD work force

WASHINGTON — U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel pledged to take care of the Defense Department’s military and civilian work force even as billions of dollars in defense spending cuts loom.

In his first address to the Pentagon work force as defense secretary on Wednesday, Hagel said the DoD needs “to deal with this reality” that about $46 billion in cuts, known as sequestration, are set to kick in Friday.

“We need to figure this out,” Hagel said. “You are doing that. You have been doing that. We need to deal with this reality.”

Read the whole story here.
    Now that Chuck Hagel has been confirmed, what should be his first order of business?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Defense secretary

Quote Originally Posted by CommunityEditor View Post
    Now that Chuck Hagel has been confirmed, what should be his first order of business?
    He seemed to think his first order of business was to make a visit to the Israeli ambassador. Perhaps, in part, his purpose may have been to apologize for once suggesting that there is a "Jewish lobby." Maybe after that Chuck Hagel can get around to troop morale, spare-parts and fuel issues and the Asia pivot. Even Hagel's strongest supporters find it difficult to believe he could have performed so poorly in his Senate hearings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    He seemed to think his first order of business was to make a visit to the Israeli ambassador. Perhaps, in part, his purpose may have been to apologize for once suggesting that there is a "Jewish lobby." Maybe after that Chuck Hagel can get around to troop morale, spare-parts and fuel issues and the Asia pivot. Even Hagel's strongest supporters find it difficult to believe he could have performed so poorly in his Senate hearings.
    There is an Israel lobby. It's a shame that people can't say what is in fact true for fear of repercussions from the religious right/GOP.
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." Kenny Powers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt2111 View Post
    There is an Israel lobby. It's a shame that people can't say what is in fact true for fear of repercussions from the religious right/GOP.
    :spyAnd what else is new? Everyone else has one EXCEPT US!! MTF Lobby.....now that's the ticket to get us listened to....now if we can 'just' appoint a 'spokesperson'.........WAIT!! :tape2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

His first order of business should be to cut the bloated civilian workforce.
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." Kenny Powers