Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: “7 things that must be at the top of Hagel's 'to do' list”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: “7 things that must be at the top of Hagel's 'to do' list”

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    There is no way to forgive Powell's performance in his United Nations speech, whether it was a lie (and there is lots of good reason to believe it was) or a mistake. That performance was the tipping point and tens of thousands of people have died as a result. This performance was typical of a career of a man who will say anything or do anything to get ahead and who doesn't possess an iota of honesty. There is not a single thing to admire about this man. He is the prototype for all of the self-serving, suck-up sycophants who followed and who got us into the mess we're in today.
    Colin Powell is a distinguished military veteran who saw multiple tours in Vietnam - to include being wounded and surviving a helicopter crash - who served as Ronald Reagan's National Security Advisor, who performed admirably as the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, who has received several US military decorations (Purple Heart, Bronze Star, Soldier's Medal, etc) and also received several high-order decorations from foreign nations.

You rode a desk, you write literary dribble about aircraft and history, and you lurk on the MilitaryTimes.com forum like some sort of ancient Troll.

Out of the two of you, one is deserving of admiration and respect for, at the very least, his 35 years of honorable military service to the United States. Let me let you in on a little secret: it's not you.

You know a lot about airplanes and you have made some very good points in discussions past, but you make yourself out to be a very tiny man in this thread.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

No hindsight involved. Everyone with any knowledge of the subject knew that we were being lied to. We knew it at the time. We were lied to, we started the wrong war by invading the wrong country and we are still paying for it. George W. Bush was on the bridge but Colin Powell was down in the engine room, turning the knobs, pulling the levers and lying to us to advance his own career, displaying the fundamental dishonesty that has characterized every minute of his life.

Yeah, nobody actually believed that Iraq had WMDs (which, of course, they did before we gave them enough time to smuggle them out of the country).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No hindsight involved. Everyone with any knowledge of the subject knew that we were being lied to. We knew it at the time. We were lied to, we started the wrong war by invading the wrong country and we are still paying for it. George W. Bush was on the bridge but Colin Powell was down in the engine room, turning the knobs, pulling the levers and lying to us to advance his own career, displaying the fundamental dishonesty that has characterized every minute of his life.
    So then you can point out how you used your moderate fame and connections in various media to challenge that "lie." To call out, in a public way, against the war generally and against Powell and Powell's speech specifically. You raised hell, you burned bridges in the name of truth and justice.

No?

FLAPS

George W. Bush was on the bridge but Colin Powell was down in the engine room, turning the knobs, pulling the levers and lying to us to advance his own career, displaying the fundamental dishonesty that has characterized every minute of his life.
    A Sec Of State trying to advance his own career? Advance it to where exactly? The man has already "been there, done that," and proved himself a patriot more times over his lifetime than you'd have space to brag about in any of your books.

Besides the UN speech, one that relied solely on bad intel he was given, what "fundamental dishonesty" did he characterize "every minute of his life?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no way to forgive Powell's performance in his United Nations speech, whether it was a lie (and there is lots of good reason to believe it was) or a mistake. That performance was the tipping point and tens of thousands of people have died as a result. This performance was typical of a career of a man who will say anything or do anything to get ahead and who doesn't possess an iota of honesty. There is not a single thing to admire about this man. He is the prototype for all of the self-serving, suck-up sycophants who followed and who got us into the mess we're in today.
    I am sure you have the same opinion of these Senators as well; Tim Johnson, Blanche Lincoln, Dianne Feinstein, Jeff Sessions, Christopher Dodd, Joseph Lieberman, Bill Nelson, Max Cleland, Zell Miller, Evan Bayh, Tom Harkin, Mary Landrieu, John Breaux, John Kerry, Joseph Biden, Thomas Carper, Jean Carnahan, Max Baucus, Ben Nelson, Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton, Charles Schumer, John Edwards, Byron Dorgan, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Maria Cantwell, Jay Rockefeller, and Herb Kohl?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Re: “7 things that must be at the top of Hagel's 'to do' list”

Opinions Are Like ... Everyone Has One

I’m confident our increasingly polarized country would actually be better with more politicians and senior leaders comparable to Colin Powell vs. any status quo contenders.

In over 33 years of combined US military, GS, and contractor government service; every fellow US citizen (approx. 30) and a few foreign nationals I know from across a very diverse spectrum of commissioned, enlisted, or civilian compatriots in varied branches of government who personally served with or experienced firsthand interaction with Colin Powell had nothing but positive, respectful, and complimentary praise for his professionalism and persona.

There was an apt time that if Colin Powell had chosen to run for President he would have undoubtedly secured most of the military vote, including mine.

In retrospect, I assertively still consider Powell’s moderate, centrist, and obliging overall composed approach to US military operations or global diplomacy topics of his day as being refreshing, inclusive, and worthy of slightly more appreciation. :usa2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sweet, so you agree that William Clinton, John Kerry, Tom Daschle, Carl Levin, Nancy Pelosi, Bob Graham, Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, Jay Rockerfeller, Henry Waxman, Robert Byrd, Hillary Clinton etc... were all liars building the foundation for G.W. Bush and Colin Powell to feed this tripe to the U.N.? After all, the democrats were ALSO talking about Iraq's WMDs since '98....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Just a comment about the derogatory opinions of GEN Powell. I don't think it is fair to call him a lier. I remember him giving that famous speech to the UN in 2003 and the CIA Director was sitting directly behind him. Any information that GEN Powell put out about Iraq having weapons of mass destruction was vetted through the CIA. Also, all of the alphabet soup agencies within the Intelligence Community were saying that Iraq had those weapons. It isn't fair to single out GEN Powell. Had he had his druthers I know he would have never allowed us to invade Iraq. I think he is a standup individual and would gladly serve under him anytime.