Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“7 things that must be at the top of Hagel's 'to do' list”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...#ixzz2M357rlHS

Great proposals. :thumb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: “7 things that must be at the top of Hagel's 'to do' list”

I would like the members of this Forum to list things they'd like the new Secretary of Defense to do. If you could sit down with Chuck Hagel for five minutes, what would you say to him?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

We need a defense strategy. We don't have one. We cannot be the 911 police force for the world. It isn't the military's job to nation build. Also, I'd like to know why we have all of these bases in Europe. The Cold War ended in 1991 but the military has conducted itself like nothing happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    I would like the members of this Forum to list things they'd like the new Secretary of Defense to do. If you could sit down with Chuck Hagel for five minutes, what would you say to him?
    Ask him what our position on Iran is? LOL. Ask him why he wouldn't disclose potential foreign financial conflicts of interest?

“I support the president’s strong position on containment” of Iran, Hagel said early in the session, appearing to endorse a policy President Barack Obama has rejected in favor of declaring that the U.S. will not tolerate Iran getting nuclear weapons.

A short time later, Hagel said he’d been handed a note and wanted to correct his answer. “If I said that, I meant to say that obviously — his position on containment — we don’t have a position on containment.”

Sensing that even Hagel’s clarification fell short of fully clarifying the point, Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) jumped in.

“Just to make sure your correction is clear, we do have a position on containment — which is we do not favor containment,” Levin noted.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ing-87044.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    We need a defense strategy. We don't have one. We cannot be the 911 police force for the world. It isn't the military's job to nation build. Also, I'd like to know why we have all of these bases in Europe. The Cold War ended in 1991 but the military has conducted itself like nothing happened.
    I've got an idea. Why don't we read the Constitution? It refers to the common defense. It doesn't say anything about using the military to liberate Afghan women or to prevent people from growing opium poppies or to defend Israel. The common defense. Pull all forces back to U.S. soil, shift to a reliance on long-range, land based air power, and quit trying to be a world power.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've got an idea. Why don't we read the Constitution? It refers to the common defense. It doesn't say anything about using the military to liberate Afghan women or to prevent people from growing opium poppies or to defend Israel. The common defense. Pull all forces back to U.S. soil, shift to a reliance on long-range, land based air power, and quit trying to be a world power.
    "Common defense" can be subjective. I bet if you polled 100 people on what "common defense" is, you would get 70 different answers (certainly a few would agree). More importantly, I would imagine there would be very different opinions from Congress and the White House. I agree with redeploying all U.S. forces back to U.S. soil.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If we were actually following the Constitution instead of just reading it, there's a lot of things we wouldn't be doing that we are. We might as well just cut the 10th Amendment since it's widely ignored anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best comparison I heard to our current situation is comparing the United States to Michael Moore (filmmaker). He has been so infatuated with helping other people that he has let himself go physically (and probably mentally). He needs to take a step back and reevaluate his personal life before getting involved with other people's issues. I think the United States needs to focus more on our homeland, and protecting OURSELVES before venturing out to help others. We have become fat and lazy and will soon not have enough money to really have as strong of a military as we want. Our country was at it's best when we lived in isolation and refused to get involved in other country's issues.

After all, doesn't the Taliban (not Al Qaeda) hate us because we are occupying their land? All of their attacks stem from us not leaving the middle east. That can't keep being our excuse.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
    -Michael Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. Cancel the F35, it is a failed program.
    2. Bar all field grade officers from serving in any capacity for defense firms
    3. Stop thinking in terms of empire, cold war, and being a global power for "good." Then reevaluate our acquisition programs.
    4. Stop the "spend it or lose it" budgeting process.

That should be plenty to get done in 4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Start cutting from the top, where mots of the waste exists and occurs. 25% of all General Officers and GS15+ positions automatic. 25% reduction of all staff positions. Automatic, nonnegotiable, no escape clauses.

Secondly, hold these General Officers to a higher standard. When they slip and fall...don't rescue them, put an arm around them, and relocate them. You punish them, harshly. Top leaders screwing up should NEVER be given the cushy treatment that they get.

Finally, I would tell him that the Pentagon and State Depts need to reevaluate how they SOFA and contract employment with host country nationals on overseas bases. Here in Germany, the Commissary employs X number of Germans. If a German is "stressed out" and they go to a doctor, they get paid time off for being stressed out or anxiety....as long as they *need* to be off - WITH PAY! During this pre-sequestration panic, the Commissary here cut all part timers hours down to the original "guarantee" in their contracts - 20 hrs. My wife was working mid30s, as well as the other part timers. Now they are not renewing contracts for full timers...American full timers. The Germans are safe.

That is literally taking American dollars out of the American economy. We're throwing money away. If we are doing this at DeCa overseas - what are we doing elsewhere?

Seriously, if we're going to try to "save money", we start with the local nationals first, then pinch American families...not the other way around!