Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a "leader" to you?

JD2780

Re: What is a "leader" to you?

Quote Originally Posted by chipotleboy View Post
    You obey managers because they are manipulating you with a carrot and a stick.

You follow leaders because you would feel ashamed to let them down.
    Damn right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What doesn't anyone like long meetings? Crazy talk!

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    What doesn't anyone like long meetings? Crazy talk!
    They dont like having long meetings because there wasnt a meeting to discuss the up coming long meeting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leader to me is that higher up that when you see him walk in you don't go thinking : "what the F he wants now"? and instead you go "Boss is here now, shit will get done!!".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The question isn't about a leader. The question is about a "leader." That makes it difficult to answer because the context for the quote isn't clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    To me, it's a Type A personality that wants to be in charge, give orders, bully the weak, influence, and manipulate people as means to an end. Yeah, that's shocking, huh? Most people who have or had real successful careers didn't care about anybody but themselves or else they cared about others as long as it progressed their career.

So many Air Force leaders are stressing leadership, leadership, leadership.......does it not occur to them we need more Indians than Chief's?

Even as a TSgt, I still had my hands tied and couldn't take care of my people the way I wanted to

As a final note, anybody that's been successful in their career will usually have type O blood, who have strong personalities, high testosterone levels, and don't care what others think, whereas Type A's are almost the complete opposite, usually with more docile and submissive natures. Type B's, what I am, are much more complex
    I have a simple litmus test for leaders. Do your people respect you? If so, you're a leader. If not, you are at best a manager.
    If after failing to convert your enemies to your mindset through logical, reasonable discourse...kill them all. - CombatRob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To me it a leader is:
    A short length of gut, wire, or similar material by which a hook is attached to a fishing line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I think of the word "leader," these 2 come to mind immediately.

“Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.”
    “You learn far more from negative leadership than positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it.”
    - Norman Schwarzkopf

LtGen Hal Moore's 17 Leadership Lessons:
    1. Three strikes and you’re not out! There is always one more thing you can do to influence any situation in your favor.
    2. A leader must ask, “What am I doing that I should not be doing, and what am I not doing that I should be doing?”?
    3. A leader must be visible and exhibit confidence under any set of circumstances. The determination to prevail must be felt by all.
    4. A leader must always be ready! When there is nothing going wrong, there’s nothing going wrong except there is nothing going wrong.
    5. Trust your instincts. Instincts and intuition give you an immediate estimation of a situation.
    6. Everything in leadership boils down to judgment. Intelligence and good character does not imply you have good judgment.
    7. Study history and leadership qualities. Pay special attention to why leaders fail.
    8. A person in a position of authority does not automatically become immediately respected or trusted. This is earned.
    9. Every person in an organization is as important and necessary to a mission as the next person. That goes from the top to the bottom.
    10. Instill the will to win. There can be no second-place trophies on display—awarded or accepted.
    11. Never deprive a person of their self-respect. NEVER!
    12. To do well in any field of endeavor, it is an advantage to work with good people.
    13. Strive to have one or two people around you who are totally trustworthy.
    14. Spend quality time with the team, learning who they are and what motivates them. Create a family.
    15. Great leaders learn to lead self first. Before you can lead others, leading self successfully must be accomplished day in and day out.
    16. Successful leaders create the future.
    17. Leaders must lead. Be the first boots on the ground and the last boots off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Always wondered about those first boots on the ground and the last boots off. When does this stop being leadership and start being showmanship? I had lunch with two Ia Drang veterans yesterday and they have the highest regard for him but not necessarily for his writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RFD-- for a man who prides himself as a student of history, I am certain you know that the General's distinguished leadership accomplishments speak for themselves. (Who gives a crap about his writing.) 'Nuff said.
    BOSS HOG

The absence of pain is not pleasure, but it's a real good start.