Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chief Cody spoke to a group of enlisted folks at MacDill today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chief Cody spoke to a group of enlisted folks at MacDill today

Did anyone here happen to attend? I caught some tidbits second hand, but I was hoping someone else might be able to confirm some of the info that was passed along to me. Among other things, I was told:

- Like so many others, he feels our rating system could be flawed. Like many before him, he preached accurate ratings (i.e. don't hand out 5s like candy). The idea of marking one down for not completing PME commensurate with their rank was mentioned (i.e. MSgt without course 14 accomplished). Now what didn't get relayed to me is his thoughts about EPRs and the points they earn you, which brings me to the next point of interest.

- I heard he feels the scoring for promotions might need to be refined as well. Apparently he wonders why a SrA that makes SSgt at 6 years should get more points to help him/her make SSgt than a SrA making SSgt at 4 years. Now what wasn't relayed to me is the fact that there had been a trend of fewer people testing for years now, yet a higher rate of people being promoted, so I'm not sure that the "too many Chiefs and not enough Indians" epidemic is a concern, despite fiscal uncertainties. My point, is that it's easier to lead if there's actually someone to lead & if money is such a concern, perhaps we should reconsider how quickly some of these stripes are being handed out?

- I heard about another PT change on the horizon. The Cliff's Notes version sounded like there's a concern that the PT test hasn't done enough to get rid of or "reform" some folks that may not represent the image the Air Force would like to portray. There was talk about bringing back measurements of the neck as well. Unfortunately, this is all I was told on the subject.

- Naturally, money came up as well. Apparently there's talk of retirements becoming 401Ks in the future. I was told that he clarified it shouldn't happen to anyone wearing a uniform right now, or those that are already retired, but those thinking of joining down the road may not receive the same benefits. Speaking of benefits, I heard he mentioned that we'll all have to chip in more to TriCare, because there's no way we can continue to receive what we do now without paying more. Interestingly enough, it also sounded like he spoke about sequestration as if it was going to happen, and we can count on readiness being effected by mid May (I've heard the same at a HQ).

Now despite the fact that it will probably seem like b.s., I'm honestly not trying to start any rumors here. What I am hoping for is that someone here has heard him speak recently, and perhaps they can verify some of this and maybe even elaborate. If not, nevermind.

JD2780

Re: Chief Cody spoke to a group of enlisted folks at MacDill today

The world is actually flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since I joined the Air Force, we have been talking about how ratings are flawed. How we need to fix it ourselves. Do they not have enough pride to realize that it won't get fixed by ourselves and we need to dump our current system?

Gen Welsh came to my base and said that they can keep making new forms, but the change has to come from us. That is a given. It has been proven, though, that the mindset of 5's unless they are shitty is the way of the Air Force. That will just keep getting passed down to the next generation.

So when will the top dogs of the Air Force STOP putting EPRs on the back burner? The only comments they ever have are "we need to fix them" "it's up to you to fix them." Dump this 5 rating. Get rid of the points/promotion impact. Why don't we just go with the feedback form so the troop knows EXACTLY how they are doing without any fluff or career impact. We should use paperwork if someone wants to have their "career impacted."
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
    -Michael Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"he clarified it shouldn't happen to anyone wearing a uniform right now..."

Hard to know your version of his intent here since "shouldn't" has at least two very different meanings.

Simple truth is he doesn't know and doesn't have any role in deciding.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    "he clarified it shouldn't happen to anyone wearing a uniform right now..."

Hard to know your version of his intent here since "shouldn't" has at least two very different meanings.

Simple truth is he doesn't know and doesn't have any role in deciding.
    I actually like the idea of military retirement moving to a 401K style plan. Think about all of the possible benefits:

1. Gives people an option to leave the military at any point. Just look at the disgruntled people on here who have 12 years in but have to stay for 8 more years if they want anything in the way of retirement compensation for their time.

2. People already view the military as a job. With a 401K that is now portable we can acquire some talented people that are only interested in serving 1 or 2 enlistments for altruistic reasons.

3. The 401K money would be dumped into the stock market thus making capital avaliable to corporations and also creating jobs for stock traders and financial analysts.

Now when I say that I support the 401K system I mean that it should be phased in. The plan I support is the most commonly talk about one where people over 18 years are unaffected, people at 16 years get a small portion of retirement plus a proportional 401K, people at 12 get a slight retiremnt and more 401K match, and continue this all the way down to new recruits only recieveing a 401K and no pension. The only caveat I would add is possibly making the military 401K tax exempt. Other than that I see plenty of beefits to moving to this system.

FLAPS

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I actually like the idea of military retirement moving to a 401K style plan. Think about all of the possible benefits:

1. Gives people an option to leave the military at any point. Just look at the disgruntled people on here who have 12 years in but have to stay for 8 more years if they want anything in the way of retirement compensation for their time.

2. People already view the military as a job. With a 401K that is now portable we can acquire some talented people that are only interested in serving 1 or 2 enlistments for altruistic reasons.

3. The 401K money would be dumped into the stock market thus making capital avaliable to corporations and also creating jobs for stock traders and financial analysts.

Now when I say that I support the 401K system I mean that it should be phased in. The plan I support is the most commonly talk about one where people over 18 years are unaffected, people at 16 years get a small portion of retirement plus a proportional 401K, people at 12 get a slight retiremnt and more 401K match, and continue this all the way down to new recruits only recieveing a 401K and no pension. The only caveat I would add is possibly making the military 401K tax exempt. Other than that I see plenty of beefits to moving to this system.
    My only issue with a new system like this is with people retiring after 20+ years from a non-marketable career, like artillery. These people I assume will have to start a brand new career at the entry level...at close to 40 years of age or older. At least the traditional pension will relieve some of the stress of earning a lower salary when most of their civilian counterparts are enjoying their peak earning years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chief Roy talked a good game at first too...

Talk is cheap...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeh, I think a 401k would be a marvelous idea. You are damned near left with nothing after years of service. The GI bill is good but its sort of like getting a gift certificate to the Olive Garden when actually wanted one for Netflix. You get out what you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethon View Post
    Since I joined the Air Force, we have been talking about how ratings are flawed. How we need to fix it ourselves. Do they not have enough pride to realize that it won't get fixed by ourselves and we need to dump our current system?

Gen Welsh came to my base and said that they can keep making new forms, but the change has to come from us. That is a given. It has been proven, though, that the mindset of 5's unless they are shitty is the way of the Air Force. That will just keep getting passed down to the next generation.

So when will the top dogs of the Air Force STOP putting EPRs on the back burner? The only comments they ever have are "we need to fix them" "it's up to you to fix them." Dump this 5 rating. Get rid of the points/promotion impact. Why don't we just go with the feedback form so the troop knows EXACTLY how they are doing without any fluff or career impact. We should use paperwork if someone wants to have their "career impacted."
    NEGATIVE Gen Welsh and Chief Cody, the change needs to come from the top! You guys need to change the culture of viewing anything less than a 5 as subpar and eliminate the stigma of it. The AF isn't gonna listen to us lowly NCOs and CGOs who want to pioneer these changes, but they will take your words as gospel. Start by eliminating the "must have 5s on last 3 EPRs" on job postings and special duty requirements. Start by addressing your wing, group, squadron commanders and SELs to tell them that supervisors shouldn't have to justify a 3 or 4 rating and that they should thoroughly scrutinize all 5s that come across their desk.

Chief Cody, I sure hope you don't follow in your predecessor's and give us nothing but lip service. We've had enough of that. Don't make statements, make moves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renazance View Post
    NEGATIVE Gen Welsh and Chief Cody, the change needs to come from the top! You guys need to change the culture of viewing anything less than a 5 as subpar and eliminate the stigma of it. The AF isn't gonna listen to us lowly NCOs and CGOs who want to pioneer these changes, but they will take your words as gospel. Start by eliminating the "must have 5s on last 3 EPRs" on job postings and special duty requirements. Start by addressing your wing, group, squadron commanders and SELs to tell them that supervisors shouldn't have to justify a 3 or 4 rating and that they should thoroughly scrutinize all 5s that come across their desk.

Chief Cody, I sure hope you don't follow in your predecessor's and give us nothing but lip service. We've had enough of that. Don't make statements, make moves!
    Exactly, not until we let's people with 4's come work with him on the Air Staff will this change. After all, a 4 is an above average Airman.