Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So, what all bases have closed since the early 1990's?

SW of Hou a ways or 18m near Clovis NM., CannonAFB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: So, what all bases have closed since the early 1990's?

Thanks 'chipotieboy' for the bullet of AF history. Good post. I understand how the Roswell Ramey could have easily come to the top if one was still wearing a foil cap, things happen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Col Ramey was promoted to brigadier general on 17 Sept 1942. On 26 March 1943, BG Ramey took off from Port Moresby in the B-17 Flying Fortress #41-24384, "Pluto", to carry out a scheduled seven-hour reconnaissance flight of Merauke and Horn Island. A message from the radio operator twenty minutes after take-off was the last that was ever heard from the aircraft. An extensive air search was conducted but no sign was found of the aircraft or the twelve men on board.[9] Ramey was declared dead on 19 Nov 1945.[1] He left behind a wife and two daughters.[10] Ramey Air Force Base in Puerto Rico was named in his Honor. ~~~~~ RIP Gen Ramey. Thanks.
    "Last one out of the Orderly Rm, switch off this light".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    Lighten up Bob. Damn near every base we have is named after someone. We only learn who that might be if we are actually stationed at the base. Other than that, if the name isn't in the PFE, it isn't worth knowing.
    Wouldn't expect you to know most of the people after whom Air Force bases are named. Would expect most airmen to recognize a few of the most important figures in Air Force history. Too much to hope for, I suppose. Like expecting an employee at Lockheed Martin to recognize the names of the Loughead brothers or of Glenn L. Martin. You say a lot about America today when you say that if it isn't in the PFE it isn't worth knowing. That speaks volumes.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Wouldn't expect you to know most of the people after whom Air Force bases are named. Would expect most airmen to recognize a few of the most important figures in Air Force history. Too much to hope for, I suppose. Like expecting an employee at Lockheed Martin to recognize the names of the Loughead brothers or of Glenn L. Martin. You say a lot about America today when you say that if it isn't in the PFE it isn't worth knowing. That speaks volumes.

Don't know much about a science book. Don't know much about the french I took....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Don't know much about a science book. Don't know much about the french I took....
    Rainmaker listens to Paul Simon?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Rainmaker listens to Paul Simon?
    Please.

Sam Cooke.

Not sure if Paul Simon ever even recorded a verion of it. Art Garfunkel might have, though.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lane Ramey AFB, used to play golf there when B-52's were landing over our heads. Was down there in '71 when they were deactivating the base,turning most of it over to the PR govt,the 'Coast Guard' taking a piece,in '73. I always felt it was THE Best AFB in the world,clean,uncluttered,just beautiful,well maintained and operated. :thumb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    You expect us to know an obscure BG when you confused him with another LG?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    I passed through Hahn on the rotator last year and it looked like the set of a Cold War-era Zombie Apocalypse film. Those caved-in dorms looked positively Soviet.
    Just travelled through last year as well and thought the same thing. What a great location for a movie set. Some downright scary buildings...throw in a bit of early morning fog...scary lookin' place.
    :fencing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loggie94 View Post
    Just travelled through last year as well and thought the same thing. What a great location for a movie set. Some downright scary buildings...throw in a bit of early morning fog...scary lookin' place.
    You think Hahn looks scary now, you should have seen it when it was open. I was stationed there from 84-86 and it was the most depressing looking base I've ever seen. Everything painted in USAFE brown, about 3 street lamps on the entire base giving the base an eerie feel at night, and a cloud literally over the base 363 days a year. Back then it was known as the "Suicide Capital of the AF".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loggie94 View Post
    I thought it looked GREAT when I got there....course it had been 6 months and some change since I had seen a beer...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings