Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Angels, Thunderbirds: take note

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blue Angels, Thunderbirds: take note

Defense News, February 12:

GENEVA — Many Swiss were outraged Wednesday after hearing that the country’s beloved aerobatic red planes with their characteristic white crosses, the Patrouille Suisse, will be cut from the Swiss air force by 2016.

“We will no longer have planes simply for folklore,” President Ueli Maurer told a parliamentary security policy commission meeting on Tuesday, according to the Basler Zeitung daily. The commission had been discussing Switzerland’s pending purchase of 22 JAS39 Gripen fighter jets from Sweden when a member reportedly asked about the future of the Patrouille Suisse, which have been a fixture in Swiss skies since1964.

The Swiss president, who is also the country’s defense minister and a member of the populist right Swiss People’s Party, told the gathering that as of 2016, the cherished aerobatic team would cease to exist. The revelation sparked outrage in Switzerland, with politicians leading the way.

“Maurer is underestimating the symbolic importance of the Patrouille Suisse,” Martin Landolt, head of the Conservative Democratic Party of Switzerland, told the 20Minuten.ch website. The head of the Christian Democratic Party, Christoph Darbellay, agreed and described the decision as “a provocation.”

A former pilot with the aerobatic team, also quoted by 20Minuten.ch, denounced the move, stressing that the Patrouille Suisse had never had an accident since its creation in 1964.

“The Patrouille is the best business card Switzerland has,” pilot John Huessy said, insisting, “It is unacceptable to say that what they do is about folklore.”

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Blue Angels, Thunderbirds: take note

Great article. Not for following European countries on a lot of stuff, but when it shows common sense I feel we should take a second look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where do you think the idea for Obama-care derived? Western Europe's socialized medical system! WRT The Blue's and Thunder-Chickens... axe them, I say. These costs of these programs surely outweighs the benefits:

1) Recruiting (People that want to fly in the Navy or Marine Corps usually want to do so long before the ever see the Blues--if they ever see tham at all. Recruiting is influenced little by these dog and pony shows).

2) A visual return to the taxpayers (I'd rather see less taxes taken out of my pay or just watch Top Gun as an annual ritual--the show never changes except for the faces).

3) Sure! It generates revenue for the cities they visit but what about the taxpayers that don't live in the cities of their regulalry scheduled visits? Top that off with the local airport wanting to charge miscellaneous fees to see your tax dollars in action.

I will now step down from my soap box...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WARCRIMINAL View Post
    Where do you think the idea for Obama-care derived? Western Europe's socialized medical system! WRT The Blue's and Thunder-Chickens... axe them, I say. These costs of these programs surely outweighs the benefits:

1) Recruiting (People that want to fly in the Navy or Marine Corps usually want to do so long before the ever see the Blues--if they ever see tham at all. Recruiting is influenced little by these dog and pony shows).

2) A visual return to the taxpayers (I'd rather see less taxes taken out of my pay or just watch Top Gun as an annual ritual--the show never changes except for the faces).

3) Sure! It generates revenue for the cities they visit but what about the taxpayers that don't live in the cities of their regulalry scheduled visits? Top that off with the local airport wanting to charge miscellaneous fees to see your tax dollars in action.

I will now step down from my soap box...
    You'd better. You made some good points but your lead-in needs work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My apologies if my lead-in offended anyone... I don't normally make it a habbit to write formally here (Sincerely!). I never take posts or replies here as an offense so, i hope nobody did mine! But, the lead in on your reply doesn't abide by your own suggestion, Bob!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say that the Blue Angles, Thunderbirds, Golden Knights, etc...also serve as a public relations tool. It’s kind of giving something back to the taxpayers. Although if you ask the average taxpayer “higher taxes or cut military stunt teams?” most would probably say cut the stunt teams. So I say shelve them at least for the time being. But, here’s another idea. Maybe just one team could be funded. Why not have just one joint-service aerobatic display team? Combine the Blue Angles, Thunderbirds, and if there any Army jet pilots include them.

Dan
    CTOC(AW), USN, Retired

Recruit Training Command (Company 50), Orlando, FL Dec 1981-Jan 1982; CTO "A" and "C" schools NTTC Corry Station, Pensacola, FL Feb-Oct 1982; USS Saratoga (CV-60) 1982-1985; USS Forrestal (CV-59) 1985-1988; ONI Det Naval War College, Newport, RI 1988-1991; NAVSECGRUACT Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal 1991-1992; NAVSECGRUACT Rota, Spain 1992-1995; National Security Agency, Fort Meade, MD 1995-1998; USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) 1998-2001.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forcedj View Post
    I would say that the Blue Angles, Thunderbirds, Golden Knights, etc...also serve as a public relations tool. It’s kind of giving something back to the taxpayers. Although if you ask the average taxpayer “higher taxes or cut military stunt teams?” most would probably say cut the stunt teams. So I say shelve them at least for the time being. But, here’s another idea. Maybe just one team could be funded. Why not have just one joint-service aerobatic display team? Combine the Blue Angles, Thunderbirds, and if there any Army jet pilots include them.

Dan
    Now there's an original and potential solution! Not only would it combine funding but demonstrate joint-service unity. These display teams serve primarily as a non-deploying billet anyway so, the only arguments that might come from such a proposal are the members that want it for just that.

Well done, Dan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    Now there's an original and potential solution! Not only would it combine funding but demonstrate joint-service unity. These display teams serve primarily as a non-deploying billet anyway so, the only arguments that might come from such a proposal are the members that want it for just that.

Well done, Dan!
    I'm not such a big fan of jointness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    You'd better. You made some good points but your lead-in needs work.
    And then you reply with: "I'm not such a big fan of jointness." ???

Didn't you just try and slam me for "lead-ins," Robert? And I quote from YOUR thread: "You'd better. You made some good points but your lead-in needs work."

Don't impose your etiquette in an informal intellectual forum if you don't intend to do so yourself. While I admire your military background, I don't believe you should use it as a source of leverage in an opinionated forum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Relax Francis, it's just a posting. Opinions are like..........