Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Expansion of the Galaxy (General Officer Inflation)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Expansion of the Galaxy (General Officer Inflation)

On September 14, 2001, President George W. Bush declared that a national emergency existed (retroactive to September 11, 2001). This was in response to the terrorists attacks. This declaration was extended most recently by President Barack Obama on September 9, 2011 for one more year.

In conjunction with this declaration was Executive Order 13223 stating:

- Sec. 2. To allow for the orderly administration of personnel within the armed forces, the following authorities vested in the President are hereby invoked to the full extent provided by the terms thereof: section 527 of title 10, United States Code, to suspend the operation of sections 523, 525, and 526 of that title, regarding officer and warrant officer strength and distribution; and sections 123, 123a, and 12006 of title 10, United States Code, to suspend certain laws relating to promotion, involuntary retirement, and separation of commissioned officers; end strength limitations; and Reserve component officer strength limitations.

In layman’s terms, the laws which dictate the personnel strength of the armed forces no longer apply. The President can now direct the armed forces to maintain whatever size and composition he wants.

Let’s first take a look at the totals of the services (Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force). For the month of November 2001, the DoD reported that there were 1,376,066 uniformed service members. That number is broken down as follows:

Attachment 2946

The most glaring conclusion from this data shows that the Air Force requires 4,362 more officers than the Army to exercise command over 128,730 fewer troops. In addition, in this same month the services reported the following numbers for general officers:

Attachment 2945

During the War on Terrorism, each service experienced expansion. Here are comparable tables for November 2006:

Attachment 2948

In comparison to November 2001, we can see that only the Navy decreased overall strength. In fact, Navy decreased in all categories. The Air Force showed an overall decrease in strength, but oddly increased the officers by 637 while decreasing enlisted by 8,453. The Air Force became more top-heavy during this time. The Army and the Marines both increased officers and enlisted. The Army added 4,147 officers and 19,449 enlisted for a rate of 1 officer per 4.7 enlisted. The Marines added 984 officers while adding 5,463 enlisted for a rate of 1 officer per 5.5 enlisted. Let’s look at the general officers for November 2006:

Attachment 2947

In comparison to November 2001, we can see that all the services increased the number of general officers. The Navy reduced overall strength as well as officer strength, but added 8 flag officers in the process. Also, the Marines added only 2 general officers while increasing overall strength by 6,470 Marines. The Army increased overall strength by 25,248 and added 18 general officers. The Air Force decreased overall strength by 7,816 but managed to add 13 general officers.

(I must continue in the next post... this forum only allows a certain number of uploads per post. Hopefully no one will jump in the middle lol)
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: The Expansion of the Galaxy (General Officer Inflation)

(Continuing...)

As the War on Terrorism is winding down, we should now see trends of decreasing strength in each of the armed services. It would be rational to expect that all categories (officer and enlisted) would reflect decreases. Here are the numbers for November 2011:

Attachment 2950

The Army gained 38,699 overall, but increased officers by 13,677. Over one-third of the total increase in strength was officers. The Navy continued the trend of decreasing overall strength losing 29,328. However, at the same time the Navy increased officers by 1,062. The Air Force decreased overall strength by 12,556 by losing from both officers and enlisted.

Attachment 2951

In regards to general officers, the Army gained the fewest by adding only 3 generals. The Navy again added flag officers (6) while decreasing the overall strength. The Marines gained only 5 generals while adding 17,931 Marines. The Air Force decreased overall strength, officer strength and enlisted strength but added 15 generals. The Air Force has one general officer for every 1,096 airmen. The rates for all the services are:

ARMY: 1 General for every 1,688 soldiers.
    NAVY: 1 Admiral for every 1,350 sailors.
    MARINES: 1 General for every 2,238 marines.
    AIR FORCE: 1 General for every 1,096 airmen.

THE COST

We cannot examine this situation without also including a discussion about the associated cost. Each of these service members gets a salary, and the totals are staggering. I based the estimated salaries on the average time in service each rank has prior to promotion to the next rank. For example, the average E6 is promoted with 8 years time in service. I apply the strength of each rank to the corresponding entry on the pay charts to determine the annual salaries.

Here is the cost of the commissioned officers for November 2001, 2006 and 2011:

Attachment 2952

Attachment 2953

From this data, we can see that personnel costs from 2001 to 2011 increased $15,073,728,274.80.
    That’s $15 MILLION a year.
    Officer pay increased from $9 million to $14 million while enlisted pay increased from $22 million to $33 million. We are paying the officers of our military $1.1 million per month.

I have an idea about where the DoD budget might be trimmed...
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A few statistical trends noticed after closely examining the Air Force strength from OCT 2001 - NOV 2011:

CATEGORY CHANGE
    General Officers +28
    Field Grade Officers -377
    Company Grade Officers -3931
    Senior NCOs -3493
    NCOs -97
    Airmen -12502

The Air Force decreased strength in field grade officer and below by a total of 20,400. The Air Force did add 28 generals to command this reduced force.

The high-water mark was AUG 2009 when the Air Force had 323 general officers in a total force of 329,771. That's a ratio of 1 general for every 1021 in the USAF.

I know this information has nothing to do with PT, the 2nd Amendment or misbehaving police officers... but I thought some may find it interesting or perhaps even alarming.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Very nice research and very telling. Now, I need you to staff this up to congress for recomenndations and action.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Attachment 2946

The most glaring conclusion from this data shows that the Air Force requires 4,362 more officers than the Army to exercise command over 128,730 fewer troops. In addition, in this same month the services reported the following numbers for general officers:
    Maybe if you fail to factor in the Warrent officer ranks....however, if you actually do factor them in....not so glaring.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Maybe if you fail to factor in the Warrent officer ranks....however, if you actually do factor them in....not so glaring.
    Warrant Officers generally do not exercise command and control tasks. Some do. Most don't. Their primary role is to provide "quality advice, counsel, and solutions to support their unit or organization. They operate, maintain, administer, and manage the Army‘s equipment, support activities, and technical systems."

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/wocc/woprogram.asp#overview
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

JD2780

In the AF generally speaking our officers are the arent exercising command. There are only so many command spots. Heck go to a fighter sq and see 4 or 5 Lt Col only one of which is the CC. WAY TO MUCH BRASS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    In the AF generally speaking our officers are the arent exercising command. There are only so many command spots. Heck go to a fighter sq and see 4 or 5 Lt Col only one of which is the CC. WAY TO MUCH BRASS.
    I think all the services have that problem as of late. The Navy is closer now that it ever has been to having just as many Admirals as ships. Once Executive Order 13223 was signed, it has been a free for all for officers. I can't seem to find any reference as to how the situation would be resolved if ever that EO is not renewed. Layoff officers? Doubtful.

I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt whit the USAF, since it stands to reason that since all pilots are officers the USAF would be more top-heavy than the other services. Can anyone elaborate?
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Warrant Officers generally do not exercise command and control tasks. Some do. Most don't. Their primary role is to provide "quality advice, counsel, and solutions to support their unit or organization. They operate, maintain, administer, and manage the Army‘s equipment, support activities, and technical systems."

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/wocc/woprogram.asp#overview
    And in the Army, fliers are often warrent officers...in the AF they are all officers... Your point?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great post efmb! You nailed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You giggle every time you say 'cockpit'

-David Letterman "Top Ten ways to know you might not be ready to join the USAF"