Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Military Girlfriend

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Military Girlfriend

I know how you feel. I have been dating my boyfriend for almost 2 years and he is gone for the next 3 weeks and can have no contact with me at all. I know 3 weeks doesn't seem like long...but it feels long. He also has a young daughter by someone else whom I have grown attached to and I cannot even see her while he is gone because of how the mother is. Does it ever get easier? I hate waking up alone and falling asleep without even getting to hear his voice. I feel like I am just totally lost all the time without him here :-(

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

:welcome @marinegfmurphy. It's not easy dating someone who serves, and you should expect this routine absence to continue. Best thing for you to do is figure out how to have a life beyond waiting for his return. Stay busy, work on your education or take up a hobby or volunteer for extra shifts at work. There's really great advice through out these threads. Don't be surprised if it doesn't seem to apply to you now, it might in the future.

Good luck!

RS6405

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaudet View Post
    I'm a new military girlfriend as well. My boyfriend is currently at boot camp at the moment, & we have been communication through letters. I have been sending in something in the mail everyday so that he has something to look forward to and I know that I will get something once a week. He is currently graduating at the end of the month & I am going to be traveling with his mom and little brother to great lakes for his graduation. I don't know what to expect, I know that i am going to be really excited to see him. Then he's off to A-school the next day. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to expect through this whole process? I want to be as supportive as I can for him. Yes, like most other couples we are deeply in love both at the age of 24, we are in the process of deciding weather it would be easiest to get married, so that i can travel where he goes, so that I can help support him through this time.
    Since you said Great Lakes I know you have a Squid.. I could write volumes but I will try to keep it shortish...

Right now he is learning everything that is Navy and how to adapt to the military environment. He will be different when you see him again but that is a good thing as he will have the tools he needs to move forward in the Navy.

Then he will be thrown into training that may or not kick his butt depending on whatever rating he will be. That in itself will stress him out along with not knowing where he will end up. He may be on a ship or land based overseas.

Right now while everything is undecided what you can do for him is support him. Be there for him.
    Be a sounding board even if you don't know what he is talking about. And if you do get married be prepared to live all over the world or wait when he is away for 10 months at a time when he is at sea.It is a drastic change from the norm but it can be a lot of fun as well.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    :welcome @marinegfmurphy. It's not easy dating someone who serves, and you should expect this routine absence to continue. Best thing for you to do is figure out how to have a life beyond waiting for his return. Stay busy, work on your education or take up a hobby or volunteer for extra shifts at work. There's really great advice through out these threads. Don't be surprised if it doesn't seem to apply to you now, it might in the future.

Good luck!

RS6405
    I'm pretty sure he's at summer camp...
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm dating a Marine who is currently IRR... welcome!

I'm new as well but hope this site can shed some light... his family is a great support system outside of this but the info is priceless... new register & dealing w/some issues related to his PTSD so waiting to post about that.

Anyway, hello!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That sounds great! Im new to dating a military man so reading your post really was nice to see. Good luck with everything!