Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"ZERO DARK THIRTY"

There may be a spoiler or two in this post.

Before I went in to see it today, I was disappointed that Kathryn Bigelow hadn't received a nomination for best director for the movie "ZERO DARK THIRTY." After seeing it: not so much.

In overseas capitals, the job of Central Intelligence Agency station chief is one that is conducted under cover -- sometimes very light cover, but cover nonetheless. In this movie, the Central Intelligence Agency station chief in Pakistan wears a Central Intelligence Agency lapel pin on his suit coat in early scenes. Assuming the film was shot chronologically, it would appear that someone detected this boner because in later scenes he wears a United States flag on his lapel instead.

Jessica Chastain is too weak to give the persuasive performance as intelligence analyst Maya that was needed to make this movie work.

It's too long. The same story could have been told well in 30 to 45 minutes less.

Apart from the inexplicable lapel pin, there is a lot of effort aimed at realism. Perhaps there is too much, because the drama seems not to be there. After two hours when the SEALs finally attack the bin Laden compound, the event is played out so literally that, again, the drama is missing. I may have missed it but thought there were a couple of helicopters missing. After the stealth MH-60K crashed and was subsequently destroyed, I got the impression the film had the entire raiding party extracting on the sole surviving MH-60K. In real life, there were CH-47G Chinooks involved.

The bottom line is the weak central performance by the main character. Yeah, you're going to go see it anyway. So when you do, give your impressions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

They were airing it on TV today. I saw bits and pieces of it and from what I can tell, the acting is pretty horrid. Nearly all the way around.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw it and had a hard time caring. When we caught Saddam in 03 it was exciting. We went in to get him and did ir, the fact that I was deployed at the time probably added to my care factor. With Osama though, we'd been there for 10 years. Mis disinterest in the real mission probably tainited my view of the movie.

I will say it was much better than Acto of Valor though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    You didn't like it - shocker
    Not what I wrote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    What you wrote means f@ck all,
    It's what I read that matters.
    Chaque person a son gout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    There may be a spoiler or two in this post.

Before I went in to see it today, I was disappointed that Kathryn Bigelow hadn't received a nomination for best director for the movie "ZERO DARK THIRTY." After seeing it: not so much.

In overseas capitals, the job of Central Intelligence Agency station chief is one that is conducted under cover -- sometimes very light cover, but cover nonetheless. In this movie, the Central Intelligence Agency station chief in Pakistan wears a Central Intelligence Agency lapel pin on his suit coat in early scenes. Assuming the film was shot chronologically, it would appear that someone detected this boner because in later scenes he wears a United States flag on his lapel instead.

Jessica Chastain is too weak to give the persuasive performance as intelligence analyst Maya that was needed to make this movie work.

It's too long. The same story could have been told well in 30 to 45 minutes less.

Apart from the inexplicable lapel pin, there is a lot of effort aimed at realism. Perhaps there is too much, because the drama seems not to be there. After two hours when the SEALs finally attack the bin Laden compound, the event is played out so literally that, again, the drama is missing. I may have missed it but thought there were a couple of helicopters missing. After the stealth MH-60K crashed and was subsequently destroyed, I got the impression the film had the entire raiding party extracting on the sole surviving MH-60K. In real life, there were CH-47G Chinooks involved.

The bottom line is the weak central performance by the main character. Yeah, you're going to go see it anyway. So when you do, give your impressions.
    These were the same producers who Obama personally briefed on the classified specifics of the mission. So these producers made the film based on the classified details Obama briefed them and you are surprised the movie was not very well made? I won't go see any film where the producer uses classified detail of our Special Forces tactics to make money off of our special operators. I believe I would be unpatriotic if I went to go see this movie so I will not see this movie or buy it in any format.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Chaque person a son gout
    What the fuck's a frush?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    These were the same producers who Obama personally briefed on the classified specifics of the mission. So these producers made the film based on the classified details Obama briefed them and you are surprised the movie was not very well made? I won't go see any film where the producer uses classified detail of our Special Forces tactics to make money off of our special operators. I believe I would be unpatriotic if I went to go see this movie so I will not see this movie or buy it in any format.
    That's funny; obama personally briefed the filmmakers, and the movie sucks. Interesting correlation....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Perhaps I missed it, but why is Tak making a bunch of posts and then deleting them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    The filmmakers did indeed receive briefings from intelligence officials and did meet with Obama. Those are legitimate functions for public servants. There doesn't seem to be anything in this motion picture that could be considered classified. However, the president and agency heads determine what is classified and what isn't.

The term Special Forces refers to members of U.S. Army special operations forces, also called Green Berets, and is not applicable here. The people in this film belong to the Central Intelligence Agency and to U.S. Navy special operations forces, also called SEALs.

I haven't encountered any reviewer who thinks this movie is pro-Obama. If anything, it is supportive of the Bush-43 policies that have brought such shame and disgrace down on our nation. In real life, Obama was very much a "hands on" commander-in-chief here, unlike Bush-43 who relied on subordinates, but you would never know about Obama's role from watching the film.