Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Perhaps I missed it, but why is Tak making a bunch of posts and then deleting them?
    On my list of things about Tak that rankle me, this is very close to being number one. Nobody knows what Tak is thinking. He is in a world all unto himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post

The term Special Forces refers to members of U.S. Army special operations forces, also called Green Berets, and is not applicable here. The people in this film belong to the Central Intelligence Agency and to U.S. Navy special operations forces, also called SEALs.
    I just got the smack down from RFD. My good day is now ruined. J/K. RFD I was referring to special operators as a whole. I do appreciate your candor about whether or not the movie is Pro-Obama and this is a viewpoint I will never know since I will not give the producers my money in anyway. I won't say too much about the classified issue other than I saw previews of zero dark thirty which had information which would be helpful to our enemy but as you state they would be unclassified by our government so it’s OK to tell the enemy about our tactics in a movie. I guess I will be the only one here who sees a problem with our President informing movie producers about our classified military tactics which will help the enemy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

On my list of things about Tak that rankle me, this is very close to being number one. Nobody knows what Tak is thinking. He is in a world all unto himself.
    Have you taken it up directly with Tak? I mean, you really seem to have a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    I just got the smack down from RFD. My good day is now ruined. J/K. RFD I was referring to special operators as a whole. I do appreciate your candor about whether or not the movie is Pro-Obama and this is a viewpoint I will never know since I will not give the producers my money in anyway. I won't say too much about the classified issue other than I saw previews of zero dark thirty which had information which would be helpful to our enemy but as you state they would be unclassified by our government so it’s OK to tell the enemy about our tactics in a movie. I guess I will be the only one here who sees a problem with our President informing movie producers about our classified military tactics which will help the enemy.
    Fortunately for us all, it is not incumbent upon an individual citizen to determine which information would be helpful to our enemy. However, I would like to better understand your thinking here. Which particular enemy to you have in mind? The remnants of al-Qaeda in Pakistan and Afghanistan, who are the last people left responsible for attacking the United States? The islamist forces that have gained increasing power in parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan as well as Yemen, Mali and elsewhere but who never had any interest in attacking the United States? The Russians? Who?

I went to the first showing of the movie that was available. I didn't see anyone who looked like the enemy taking notes and I didn't see anything in the film that looked like it would help an adversary of the United States.

So which enemy do you have in mind? The only people who scare me aren't in Afghanistan. They're in Washington.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo77 View Post
    Have you taken it up directly with Tak? I mean, you really seem to have a problem.
    It is impossible to take anything up directly with Tak. It is only possible to take stuff up obtusely with Tak.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    I guess I will be the only one here who sees a problem with our President informing movie producers about our classified military tactics which will help the enemy.
    That classified information was disclosed after the fact is the least of our worries.

When the president went on national TV to declare that we had finally killed Osama (spiking the ball, as it were), he ruined the ultimate opportunity to truly decapitate al Qaeda.

Think about it: computers, hard drives, thumb drives and loads of data regarding Osama's contacts/affiliates were recovered; had the entire operation been kept secret, the Osama adherents might not have been aware of Osama's demise until it was too late. BUT, when the president of the USA goes on international TV to announce that "We got him" (spiking the ball), do you not think that ANYBODY that had even peripheral contact with OBL would think about reconsidering how they communicated with the evil bastard? Such things COULD HAVE been exploited, if the operation had been kept SECRET. Osama's contacts MIGHT have been exposed or discovered, and helped on the journey to their 72 Virginians. The announcement that the al Qaeda leader had been discovered and murdered, though, only drove those nefarious actors further underground and that much more difficult to locate and/or interdict.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is impossible to take anything up directly with Tak. It is only possible to take stuff up obtusely with Tak.
    Hunter S. Thompson was a GREAT writer. You, sir, are just a writer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo77 View Post
    That classified information was disclosed after the fact is the least of our worries.

When the president went on national TV to declare that we had finally killed Osama (spiking the ball, as it were), he ruined the ultimate opportunity to truly decapitate al Qaeda.

Think about it: computers, hard drives, thumb drives and loads of data regarding Osama's contacts/affiliates were recovered; had the entire operation been kept secret, the Osama adherents might not have been aware of Osama's demise until it was too late. BUT, when the president of the USA goes on international TV to announce that "We got him" (spiking the ball), do you not think that ANYBODY that had even peripheral contact with OBL would think about reconsidering how they communicated with the evil bastard? Such things COULD HAVE been exploited, if the operation had been kept SECRET. Osama's contacts MIGHT have been exposed or discovered, and helped on the journey to their 72 Virginians. The announcement that the al Qaeda leader had been discovered and murdered, though, only drove those nefarious actors further underground and that much more difficult to locate and/or interdict.
    You cannot seriously believe that the United States would carry out an operation to get Osama bin Laden, succeed, and afterward keep it secret?

I could be wrong on the details but I think those are virgins, not Virginians. Hands off my commonwealth, sir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    You mean second rate, 3rd grade level, hack fiction author.
    Maybe second rate, maybe third grade level, but no fiction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    You mean second rate, 3rd grade level, hack fiction author.
    I'd read Hunter S. Thompson's grocery list before I'd read a RFD diatribe.