Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New pro-gay policy

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: New pro-gay policy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    So would you say "Leave it to Beaver" promotes the nuclear family?
    No, but if it was title "The nuclear family" or "The traditional family" or "A family with values" then it would be promoting that lifestyle. It would be insinuating that a certain way of living is the right, normal, traditional, etc, way of life. Again, I love the shows. I watch them, and I laugh (though if I was gay I think I'd find the stereotyping a little bit patronizing).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candycane3482 View Post
    What's wrong with those shows?
    Please read my posts and you'll see that I said there was nothing wrong with those shows. Don't just assume that I'm gay bashing, for fucks sake.

There are families like that and "modern" families are diverse.
    There are also "modern" families who are "traditional". To insinuate that a "modern" family is a certain type of family is promotion of that way of life. That's my only point.

And Jodi Foster had already come out - she even said so. No one really cared that she came out - they were confused by her rambling speech. I was. Why isn't it a celebration? It's something that people generally have had to HIDE. It's a big step for someone to come out and say they are homosexual. But it's really not as big of a deal as it once was - honestly she said she was lesbian I shrugged and said "huh figured."
    Why should it be a celebration? Why must EVERYTHING be celebrated?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    No, but if it was title "The nuclear family" or "The traditional family" or "A family with values" then it would be promoting that lifestyle. It would be insinuating that a certain way of living is the right, normal, traditional, etc, way of life. Again, I love the shows. I watch them, and I laugh (though if I was gay I think I'd find the stereotyping a little bit patronizing).
    So whether or not a show promotes something is entirely based on what the title is?

Please read my posts and you'll see that I said there was nothing wrong with those shows. Don't just assume that I'm gay bashing, for fucks sake.

There are also "modern" families who are "traditional". To insinuate that a "modern" family is a certain type of family is promotion of that way of life. That's my only point.
    Most likely they were driving at that a "modern" family can mean a lot of different things, not just the bible-toting little wife in an apron obeying her husband who leaves in a suit and tie for some obscure business-related job every day.

Because its better than being miserable and thinking the rapture is going to happen tomorrow.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So whether or not a show promotes something is entirely based on what the title is?

Most likely they were driving at that a "modern" family can mean a lot of different things, not just the bible-toting little wife in an apron obeying her husband who leaves in a suit and tie for some obscure business-related job every day.

Because its better than being miserable and thinking the rapture is going to happen tomorrow.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Most of the time. Just as food products ("diet" coke or "ultralight" cigarettes) give the impression that they are healthier than the other choices, a show titled "The New Normal" gives the impression that a family makeup like the one portrayed is now "Normal". I wonder how you would respond if "The New Normal" was about a bible thumping nuclear Christian family.

It's possible. Though, as mentioned above, I'm sure you'd have some comments if that's what the show was about.

Way to bring in the religious zealots to the conversation when that's not what it's about. Why can't somebody just be gay? Go about their daily lives. Especially celebrities. The cameras will always find them. If Jody Foster wants everyone to know, then let her just live her life as she does. It doesn't need to be an announcement. It doesn't have to be a rah rah moment. The same way that all the people who accept their awards and thank Jesus in front of the crowd to let everyone know they are "religious" don't need to do that. Just live their lives. I don't care what your lifestyle is. Just live it. It doesn't have to be an event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is how I took the show. It isn't like it is just about a gay couple. It is about a father (Al Bundy) that married a younger hottie/their son, his ex-wife, his daughter/her husband/son/and two daughters, and his gay son/his man-candy/their daughter... By my math, that would mean that the gay couple is only 1/3 of the title of the show...
    Not a fan but it covers pretty much the "modern" families; single divorcee, divorced and remairried, husband/wife(homemaker) their kids, and a gay couple and their kid...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am vastly underqualified to have an opinion on any major TV shows in this day and age, if it doesn't occur on The HUB or Nick I probably have never even seen it. But the comments are fun to read.

My impression at least towards the Modern Family are similar to those of Pullinteeth at least, the standard Nuclear Model does not always apply in all circumestances, hence the title "Modern Family". It's actually why I recommend changing all "marriage" legislation into domestic partnerships, and extending monetary benefits to adults only for rearing children they have guardianship/conservatorship over responsibly. No reason we need to offer tax breaks to Tom and Jane who happen to be "married" legally but living five states separate from eachother in an "open relationship" with no children from the relationship. The new reality might happen to be a divorced mother that brings her mother to live with her to help rear her young child. The divorced mother going to work to support the family with the grandmother absorbing the lion's share of the child-rearing responsibilities. The only disfunctional familial relationship in my mind is when the combination of guardians fails to provide the young children with an environment that allows them to develop into normal, functioning adults in our society. Who cares if the grandmother and mother are not "married"? Would there be any legal protections and benefits not necessary in this relationship that would be necessary in a "marriage"? I'm at a loss for anything in particular. The only time marriages would have legal involvement where these other forms of domestic partnerships do not is when the parties are about to divorce. No real need to write laws specifically to that, a judge can sort that stuff out just fine, as it's what generally happens anyways.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, what's wrong with non-straight people serving in the military?

JD2780

So two gay folks being married and adopting or having a child of their own by some way shape or form is promoting homosexuality? Not so much promoting, but saying its ok. Yes, its ok. Its better than somebody being miserable for the rest of their lives like some straight couples. The sactity of marraige has been compromised by folks getting divorced on a whim. If a gay couple arent abusing their child in anyway shape or form what are they doing wrong? Once again, there are plenty of documented cases of horrific abuse by straight couples. So far every reason folks have brought up for gays not to be married and not to have children has been shredded.

I've heard this a few times. If you dont like gay marriage, dont marry a gay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wharrblgharbl View Post
    So, what's wrong with non-straight people serving in the military?
    If you are all bent over, you look funny when you are marching...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings