Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's going on with simple MOS training?!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's going on with simple MOS training?!!

I didn't think 68W Combat Medic School was beneficial at all. We had to get an EMT certification, which was nice to have I guess, but was a requirement to graduate. Civilian EMT procedures and Combat Medic procedures are infinitely different and contradictory. Toward the end, we still had guys who were terrified of blood and had never touched a real patient. The 8 day FTX at the end was the only halfway decent training we received in the 6 months I was at Fort Sam. I definitely learned EVERYTHING once I got to my first duty station and met my team leader.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jh762 View Post
    I didn't think 68W Combat Medic School was beneficial at all. We had to get an EMT certification, which was nice to have I guess, but was a requirement to graduate. Civilian EMT procedures and Combat Medic procedures are infinitely different and contradictory. Toward the end, we still had guys who were terrified of blood and had never touched a real patient. The 8 day FTX at the end was the only halfway decent training we received in the 6 months I was at Fort Sam. I definitely learned EVERYTHING once I got to my first duty station and met my team leader.
    Same here. I didn't know jack and shit when I hit the fleet.

Yet when I enlisted in the Guard, reclassified, and went to a different MOS school, I came out not just proficient... but actually more proficient than many of the troops who were initial entry and had already been doing the job for one, two, or even three years.

I think it, in part, has something to do with maturity. I learned a lot more at my second school (which was far harder than my first), but was also six years older.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Army IET schools only teach a vey minimum actual proficiency. Anyone who wants to get more than that needs to work on it on their own. I came out of 25C Signal school knowing more about first aid than some of the initial-entry 68W at my first unit, simply because I actually studied it in basic instead of skating. What actual signal knowledge I did have has gradually degraded, I know today perhaps 25% of my actual MOS training (the part that I use with any frequency, pun intended).

The problem is that IET cannot hope to teach you all you need to know, so they settle for a very poor compromise. They teach you the minimum you need to know in order to not kill people while you actually learn what needs doing. Anythign more than that is a waste of time and mopney, because different units have different procedures and different equipment for different missions.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I am not certain about the former" -Albert Einstein.