Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,306
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    What is the US coming to? All the news channels are nothing but the school shooting, at an elementary up in Connetticut. 27 dead inc the shooter.
    YES its big news, YES my thoughts go out to the families of the victims, but why do they show NOTHING BUT this? Does the rest of the world take a halt cause we get a shooting?

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    What is the US coming to? All the news channels are nothing but the school shooting, at an elementary up in Connetticut. 27 dead inc the shooter.
    YES its big news, YES my thoughts go out to the families of the victims, but why do they show NOTHING BUT this? Does the rest of the world take a halt cause we get a shooting?
    They show it because it gets ratings. Everyone will voice their outrage to show they care, pundants will have their say about gun rights/control, and in two days we will move on to something else.

    Honestly, it's tragic for the families and everyone involved. However, in my little part of the world, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Is it sad? Sure. 18 kids dies. How many kids starved to death yesterday in the U.S? Was that reported anywhere?

    And, of course, this story is much more important that us moving Patriot Missiles in to Syria to "deter" Syria.

    The story will last a couple days, maybe. Reporters will "shock" us with their "BREAKING NEWS" reports when the number changes from 18 to 19, or whatever it is. Parents in Oregon will rush to get their kids out of school because someone was shot 3000 miles away. Then, in a day or to, it will die down and we can get back to important stuff, like the fiscal cliff.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,306
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    True it is all a shock tactic to get ratings, but when imo more important info (such as a 6.3 quake of the CA coast) is relegated to just a little ticker line and nothing more about it is said, it shows WHY so many (imo) shooting happen.. it gets the shooters notoriety.

  4. #4
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    True it is all a shock tactic to get ratings, but when imo more important info (such as a 6.3 quake of the CA coast) is relegated to just a little ticker line and nothing more about it is said, it shows WHY so many (imo) shooting happen.. it gets the shooters notoriety.
    Exactly. It's still tragic, don't get me wrong, but stop giving these people notoriety and it won't keep happening as often.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    True it is all a shock tactic to get ratings, but when imo more important info (such as a 6.3 quake of the CA coast) is relegated to just a little ticker line and nothing more about it is said, it shows WHY so many (imo) shooting happen.. it gets the shooters notoriety.
    In that case, try to be that one network not talking non-stop about the shooting, and see how long you keep your job.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Exactly. It's still tragic, don't get me wrong, but stop giving these people notoriety and it won't keep happening as often.
    I don't think there's particularly strong evidence to suggest any of those imbeciles were motivated by fame.

    A better deterrent might be to quit letting these morons arm to the teeth with perfectly legal weapons.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,306
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    While i would much prefer ENFORCEMENT of existing gun laws, with the spate of recent shootings i can finally see the anti gun crowd getting their way with laws to stop guns being sold.
    Though i wonder, if the AFT was able to check MEDICAL records to check for mental issues, like they do legal side for criminal issues, would that prevent this stuff.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    From what I understand, this dude was heavily medicated.

    The VA offers to dispose of weapons turned in by vets fearing they are suicidal or violent thoughts. To me, if someone is taking mind altering medications, he really shouldn't be purchasing weapons and ammunition at all.

  8. #8
    Senior Member technomage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Rim
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    From what I understand, this dude was heavily medicated.

    The VA offers to dispose of weapons turned in by vets fearing they are suicidal or violent thoughts. To me, if someone is taking mind altering medications, he really shouldn't be purchasing weapons and ammunition at all.
    He didn't purchase them, he killed his mother and stole them.

    Having said that, when are we as a nation finally going to grow up and have an intelligent discussion about weapons? How many more have to die before we say "enough"?

    I'm not anti weapon but it's obvious something has to be done.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    He didn't purchase them, he killed his mother and stole them.

    Having said that, when are we as a nation finally going to grow up and have an intelligent discussion about weapons? How many more have to die before we say "enough"?

    I'm not anti weapon but it's obvious something has to be done.
    Thanks for the clarification.

    As for discussion... don't know. People keep insisting that guns are what's stopping us from being killed by criminals... too bad killers don't announce ahead of time when they're planning on shooting you in the back, or in your sleep.

  10. #10
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Yet another school shooting, this time at an Elementary.

    My question is, in a situation like this, was the gun not locked up in a safe? With a combination not known by her son? If it had been, he wouldn't have had access. Not saying he wouldn't have found some other way to get a weapon, but there are ways to deter what happened that don't require taking any weapons away from anyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •