Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a medical / PT related situation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Opinions on a medical / PT related situation

I've been on these forums for a few years now and would like to hear your thoughts on a medical situation I'm in right now. I've been in for over 14 years now. On a deployment this summer to the sand box I was lifting some equipment and "thought" I pulled a muscle in my back, or possibly knocked myself out of alignment. I went to the clinic there and got some kick butt strong pain meds to get me through the deployment. As time went on my right leg was tingling, then it felt like someone was squeezing my calf, the pain got worse but not unbearable. When I got back stateside I met with my PCM and had a MRI done. Well the results were surprising to me. Turns out I have little to no cartridge left in my L4/L5 vertebra (those are the ones right next to your tail bone that carry all the weight of your torso). The disk is bulging out and pinching the nerve which is what is causing the pain/numbness and what not. I saw a civilian back doctor and he said I need surgery. He seemed to know much about it and explained it very well to me. I am going to get a second opinion just to be safe.

My PCM ( a active duty Captain) said there is a 50/50 chance I'll be back in 5 years for the same thing. Here's my concern, and it may seem odd to most folks. I passed my last PT test with a 93. I've always passed it and it wasn't easy. I credit my dislike of chow hall food on my last deployment to my smaller waist line and subsequently faster run time. I am concerned that, given this particular injury, it's location and all, that I won't be able to do much to prepare for this next test towards the second half of next year. I'm on a profile now (the Doc was surprised I wasn't already on one when the MRI results came in) that says no sit ups, pushups or running more than 100 yards. It expires soon but I expect it'll be renewed with no problem.

So, with this groups vast experience and knowledge, what can I expect?
    Strive for perfection and excellence will be tolerated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Opinions on a medical / PT related situation

Unless your PCM is an orthopedic surgeon take what he says with a grain of salt. Don't worry about the PT. Just get your profile, do the PT when you can, and take care of yourself so you can live the rest of your life after Big Blue shits you out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BadBender View Post
    I've been on these forums for a few years now and would like to hear your thoughts on a medical situation I'm in right now. I've been in for over 14 years now. On a deployment this summer to the sand box I was lifting some equipment and "thought" I pulled a muscle in my back, or possibly knocked myself out of alignment. I went to the clinic there and got some kick butt strong pain meds to get me through the deployment. As time went on my right leg was tingling, then it felt like someone was squeezing my calf, the pain got worse but not unbearable. When I got back stateside I met with my PCM and had a MRI done. Well the results were surprising to me. Turns out I have little to no cartridge left in my L4/L5 vertebra (those are the ones right next to your tail bone that carry all the weight of your torso). The disk is bulging out and pinching the nerve which is what is causing the pain/numbness and what not. I saw a civilian back doctor and he said I need surgery. He seemed to know much about it and explained it very well to me. I am going to get a second opinion just to be safe.

My PCM ( a active duty Captain) said there is a 50/50 chance I'll be back in 5 years for the same thing. Here's my concern, and it may seem odd to most folks. I passed my last PT test with a 93. I've always passed it and it wasn't easy. I credit my dislike of chow hall food on my last deployment to my smaller waist line and subsequently faster run time. I am concerned that, given this particular injury, it's location and all, that I won't be able to do much to prepare for this next test towards the second half of next year. I'm on a profile now (the Doc was surprised I wasn't already on one when the MRI results came in) that says no sit ups, pushups or running more than 100 yards. It expires soon but I expect it'll be renewed with no problem.

So, with this groups vast experience and knowledge, what can I expect?

Always get a second opinion with something this major. And do your own research as well.

NEVER trust a PCM, especially one employed by the US Air Force. There are too many stories of borderline malpractice on here - including mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Unless your PCM is an orthopedic surgeon take what he says with a grain of salt. Don't worry about the PT. Just get your profile, do the PT when you can, and take care of yourself so you can live the rest of your life after Big Blue shits you out.
    +1!!

Service before self & excellence in all you do isn't going to make the chronic pain go away after you retire; PT should be the last of your concerns. Get the profile and get with the docs/HAWC to see what you CAN do... seems like you should still be able to do something low impact for cardio. But don't tough it out just to do well on your PT. Make sure your condition and treatment is thouroughly documented and your CoC is in the loop, so if something came up, you don't have to backbrief them and do damage control.

Sounds like you're on the right track; just don't settle for being told no, we can't, or tough shit, suck it up.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

VFFTSGT, I've been following your stories since you were VFFSSGT, when you discussed your problems. I have been researching my problem and it seems to be a common thing for major league football players and military members. From what I've found it seems to be caused, in part, from (and I'm not kidding here) sit ups on hard surfaces, running on hard surfaces, the types of push-ups we are required to do, lifting heavy things over time and carrying heavy loads on the torso (like body armor/ammo). I've been doing squadron led PT since 2002, two years before it was mandatory for the rest of the AF, ten years now. I'm a tall guy and always knew I was at risk for this but did not anticipate how much it actually hurt and what it could mean to my career. The drugs they have me on keep me good until just past lunch time (day shift) but soon after that it's hard to deal with. I'd like to know what happens now. Is a MEB THAT bad? What does that mean anyways? I've heard people try to avoid it like the plague. Is it that bad? I have not been able to find reliable answers to this thus far.
    Strive for perfection and excellence will be tolerated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was one that avoided a MEB like the plague...I think they are just too subjective and too much left up to the opinions of a select few.

One was a permanent running profile. I refused to accept it. The other was profiles in general; I tried to stay off of them as much as possible.

However, a guy at my last base had back issues such as yours. I think very similar problems. He had to get the surgery - fused together. He got a MEB and was cleared....his pain was bad enough to have to risk the MEB.

Bottom line, you got to do all the research and make the best decision for your personal case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BadBender View Post
    VFFTSGT, I've been following your stories since you were VFFSSGT, when you discussed your problems. I have been researching my problem and it seems to be a common thing for major league football players and military members. From what I've found it seems to be caused, in part, from (and I'm not kidding here) sit ups on hard surfaces, running on hard surfaces, the types of push-ups we are required to do, lifting heavy things over time and carrying heavy loads on the torso (like body armor/ammo). I've been doing squadron led PT since 2002, two years before it was mandatory for the rest of the AF, ten years now. I'm a tall guy and always knew I was at risk for this but did not anticipate how much it actually hurt and what it could mean to my career. The drugs they have me on keep me good until just past lunch time (day shift) but soon after that it's hard to deal with. I'd like to know what happens now. Is a MEB THAT bad? What does that mean anyways? I've heard people try to avoid it like the plague. Is it that bad? I have not been able to find reliable answers to this thus far.
    An MEB is a med board that determines your ability to continue to serve. Could be good or bad. If you want to get out, it'd be good; if not, not so much. I hope the incident "trigger" is documented as being duty related. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to tie it to being service related, which could result in medical retirement, versus medical separation.

Most important thing is to not just keep popping pain pills and ignoring the problem, making it worse. While you may love the Air Force, being in pain the rest of your life isn't worth it.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    However, a guy at my last base had back issues such as yours. I think very similar problems. He had to get the surgery - fused together. He got a MEB and was cleared....his pain was bad enough to have to risk the MEB.
    Not sure I understand what you mean here. He's in pain, but the MEB cleared him for duty. Not sure what the risk is...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Not sure I understand what you mean here. He's in pain, but the MEB cleared him for duty. Not sure what the risk is...?
    He had back surgery...2 disc fused together...once you do that, you can no longer do certain things...that is what caused the MED.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    ^^ What he said.