Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good resources for military-to-civilian resume writing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Good resources for military-to-civilian resume writing?

Along the lines of avoiding military jargon, don't be afraid to modify job history duty titles to match civilian equivelent positions. For example, I changed "Maintenance Operations Officer" to "Maintenance Director of Operations," and "Maintenance Flight Commander" to "Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor." There are other alternative civ titles, but choose any that appropriately represent your position.

As for USAJOBs, as mentioned you want to use the same verbiage that's included in the KSAs. For example, if you are experienced in reviewing training plans, but the KSA states "Scrutinizes training curriculum," then that's the EXACT verbiage you want to use in your résumé.

As for multiple versions of your résumé, that's not always necessary. You can also create a super resume that includes KSA verbiage from a number of different duty positions. It worked for me. Remember that the initial résumé review will be done by personnel people who are not associated or even co-located with your prospective new workplace. Once you make it past personnel, then they'll classify you as a qualified candidate and forward your résumé to the hiring authority, which is who you'll actually work for. You MAY or may not have an interview...just depends. But if they interview one candidate then they have to interview everyone they are considering.

Finally, in addition to the résumé, make sure you prepare a list of potential questions they'll ask you in an interview. There are typically several general questions they might ask (tell about your professional background, strengths, weaknesses, why are you best qualified, etc). Lot's of other good tips on the Internet too!

One last thing, the USAJOBS resume is a whole different animal than a regular résumé. The fed résumé needs to have A LOT of info and can be several pages long. A regular résumé should be no longer than two pages.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I found it counter-productive. I was overwhelmed with spam job announcements that were no even close to matching my skill set. That was just my experience, mileage may vary.
    I'm getting the same from Monster.. Even after updating my profile to show i am no longer in Gulfport ms.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Indeed is a pretty good site to use. Based on your job desires, location, etc it does a great job sending you current postings. I haven't gotten any spam from them either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    Any other suggestions?
    Yes...check out http://www.careerproplus.com// They specialize in mil-to-civ resume writing. They took all my info and then hooked me up with someone from a similar career field who understood how to translate all the AF jargon into what corporate America is looking for. They base their price on your pay-grade. The basic pkg will include a 2-pg resume & cover letter. Landed a real solid job. Good luck...
    Load Clear