Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement Eligible But Staying In

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Retirement Eligible But Staying In

Like some of you on this board, I am retirement eligible. In fact, I submitted my paperwork and have been approved for 1 Sep 2013. Anyway, I'm curious to those who chose to stay in after 20. I once heard that you do 20 because you have to and anything after 20 because you want to. So, my question is, why do some of you still want to do this after your 20 years? I'm not trying to demean you in anyway. I'm just curious. Is it the economy and that guaranteed paycheck? Is it a more noble reason: You still have a lot to offer the Air Force and you feel you still still effect change? For me, I'm tired. Not tired of the shenanigans we deal with on a daily basis, but physically tired. But, I'll be honest, the paycheck is nice in times like these and if I happen to be on that next promotion list prior to retirement, I may consider withdrawing my retirement. Yes, sometimes the hours suck ass, but all in all, I can't believe I get paid to do what I do, even if I am tired. What say you? However, I may not have to worry about it if the Board puts my record in the "Pass" pile because of my retirement code. Either way, I'm happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Retirement Eligible But Staying In

I have only known two types of people to stay in past 20:

1. Divorced and wife got part of retirement so trying to bump it up a little to make up for the loss*

2. Aiming high for Chief

*Think this is BS too...whoever allowed this to happen should be taken to the wood shed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    I have only known two types of people to stay in past 20:

1. Divorced and wife got part of retirement so trying to bump it up a little to make up for the loss*

2. Aiming high for Chief

3. PaveG-Kids still in College. Only reason I'm still here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tak doesn't post outside his thread but my signature says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Retirement tip #45: under no circumstances should one do a day over 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still enjoyed what I did until new leadership made things stupid. I was final pay for retirement so anymore that I did after 20 it increased my retirement which is 53.5%. Plus my family got sick of it.
    I'm not the regular Crew Chief.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There could be selfish reasons: Retirement of an E-9 at 30 is at least double an E-7 at 20. Try to find a 401K to do that! Retire at 20 and it's maybe a house payment...go 30 and you just might be able to live off it.

Myself, I did 26...up to 24, I was still "all-in"...I got tired my last 2 years and just waited for the right job offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did 30 and stayed in past 20 because I wanted to wear the new ABU. Yeah, go ahead...ask how that worked out for me.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

22 years in. Pretty good chance making E-8 that should bring me to 26 HYT. I still like what I'm doing that't why I have not turn in my paperwork. Anything can change in the future.
    UAV Sensor Operator
    Creech AFB, NV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was stupid and took REDUX because I had found out I made Chief and could go 24 years before HYT. After 20 you get 3.5 percent so I needed to do 23 to even it up so to speak. At the time I looked at it like a 20k bonus that I had never had and could make it up by going over 20. Only to sweat out the new ERBs for a couple of years.It did put me in a position to pay off all my bills and buy my retirement home. I wouldn't recommend it though.

As for staying after 20 if you are still earning your check and taking care of your people hang out and have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm at 27 and hadn't thought of retiring before 30... until this deployment. I volunteered, so it's not like I HAD to come, but the time away from home & family are starting to weigh on me. Been with the wife for 11 years; of that, we've spent over 5 of that apart, either on opposite deployment schedules, join spouse assignments not working out, or whatever. That's a lot of time.

She retired last year and just started college with her GI Bill last month; she's decided she's not moving again, so any assignments I get from here on out, I'll be going it alone. With no decent options on this last assignment cycle, I opted to extend in place here, so I'll be doing a year at Kandahar. If the next round of assignments sucks, I'll hit the button for 12 months out, go back home and they'll have to find me a job (mine is already filled) for 4-5 months and i'll take my 3 months of terminal + PTDY and hang it up at 28 & change.

I love the Air Force and love what I do, but I'm not getting any younger. I figured if I stayed in until 30, I could afford to get out and do something I WANT to do, not something I HAVE to do. A year here will have me rolling out of here debt free (excluding house payment), with a nice chunk of change in the bank... makes retirement and actually spending some quality time with the wife look that much more appealling!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal