Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army getting rid of the ASU already?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Army getting rid of the ASU already?

Really? The mandatory possession date of the ASU isn't even here, and now they're talking about getting rid of it already. I'm tired of having to spend money on uniforms and not getting a clothing allowance for it (yes, I'm an officer). You know what, Army? If you change to ANOTHER dress uniform, you can GIVE it to me this time. Make up your mind on a decent uniform that people want instead of ignoring us and then changing your minds later. Make the right decision the first time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Army getting rid of the ASU already?

I guess they are going to change to an all-service multicam which seems a good idea. There might be some leeway given because of the sudden switch. If not, just think of it this way, the multicam is a much better uniform.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You giggle every time you say 'cockpit'

-David Letterman "Top Ten ways to know you might not be ready to join the USAF"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by F4CrewChick View Post
    I guess they are going to change to an all-service multicam which seems a good idea. There might be some leeway given because of the sudden switch. If not, just think of it this way, the multicam is a much better uniform.
    ASU=Army Service Uniform, our dress uniform. You're talking about utility uniforms.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I was Navy, so take it for what it's worth:

The problem with the Army uniforms in general is that they have too much shit on them. Bages, patches, ribbons, cords; as if it's a damn Boy Scout uniform.

At least, with the Blues, it wasn't like that. Of course, with the phasing out of the Greens and replacing them with the blues, the asshats in specific branches of the Army bitched and moaned and wanted to keep the things that made them look different from the other branches of the Army on their blues. Thus, Airborne types get to wear boots with the ASU and tuck their pants in; and berets are worn with it.

Sad, because the blues were the one uniform that could stand against the Marine Corps blues. But, it's like, Soldiers wanted to give that up since they seem to hate service-wide uniformity.

The ONLY change to the uniform that I thought was good was taking the gold stripe off of the trousers for non-NCO's, and making them earn it upon becoming an NCO. Other than that, get rid of unit badges and pins, get rid of boots, and get rid of berets. Another change that should be made is that the belt around the coat worn by ceremonial units should be required for everyone.

And another change - don't make this the standard issue dress uniform. The Greens were ugly. The Army should bring back the Pinks & Greens like they had during the World Wars. Issue all Soldiers that, and then blue trousers, white shirts, and blue service cap. The blue coat can be optional. Just like in the Marine Corps.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Rusty about the Army uniform looking like a Christmas tree and a big consensus amongst soldiers is to revert to the WWII uniforms since we would like to honor the greatest generation by wearing the uniforms they wore.

https://surveys.natick.army.mil/Surv...lcome?openform

That is the survey and it has selections for changing the white shirt to tan and khaki. Many soldiers suggested to take the shoulder boards off for enlisted and put the ranks back on the sleeves and I agree with that. Also, get rid of that ludicrious CSIB and go back to patches.

Keep the blues for formal wear and soldiers are willing to handle the costs of the way it was before.

Also, stop with multicam being the same uniform for all the services because you just wore it once during an interlude lol.

I wear it daily and even though it is better than UCP; it does not solve the issue of suitable camouflage for all terrains. That is why the US Army is considering US4CES camo which is similar to MARPAT and NWU Type III/AOR.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I was Navy, so take it for what it's worth:

The problem with the Army uniforms in general is that they have too much shit on them. Bages, patches, ribbons, cords; as if it's a damn Boy Scout uniform.
    Definitely agree 1000%. I took the survey a week or so ago and selected the option to SEW on the combat patch like on the greens, as well as sewing on the unit patch. I'd say if they don't want the unit patch on it, then that's fine. But there's already enough crap to pin onto the uniform; the patches should not have become badges. I don't have any tabs, but I say for those who do, those should be sewn on as well instead of the little pin-on tabs.

I also agree with bringing back the vintage uniforms. Isn't that what most surveyed wanted when they selected a replacement for the greens in the first place? Yet the Army, in its infinite wisdom, failed to listen.

Oh, and what's with the timing of this idea to do yet ANOTHER major uniform change for something that the majority of Soldiers rarely wear anyway? Is it that important at this point in time to do that? Get through the drawdown, get through the handover of Afghanistan to their own people, stabilize the force, worry about all the IMPORTANT things first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have seen uniforms come and go and while I dread changing again, I think the Army made a mistake with the ASUs. I do not mean to infer that we should "copy" any other services, however, one size/uniform does not fit all occasions. Keep the pants and add a khaki short and long sleeve shirt to wear as class B's. For the short sleeve shirt, use the same design that the navy uses which is not meant to wear with a tie, looks way more professional with a collar that is meant to lay down and the shirt has permanent creases and is thick enough to support the weight of awards etc. Take our jacket and put a mandarin collar on it so that it has no resemblance to a buisiness suit, no more shirt and tie with the jacket. No longer would Soldiers have to left and right justify/allign their awards and badges, everything would be centered over a pocket and look more professional. The US Army Band has this jacket minus pockets and it looks very much like a uniform made for Soldiers and would be a fitting way to honor our heritage. Keep the stetson, maroon, green, and tan berets for those that earn them and dump the black beret for a service cap for everyone else. If we have to stick with a less formal uniform then go the route the Marines have with a belted jacket in a Army-specific color.

As a 1SG, I would designate more days where my Soldiers are in a class B uniform if it was more professional looking and could be a good office uniform as the Army used to for non-field/motorpool days.
    Best Regards, Jedi

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Master Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am with you Creaminess.

Here is the front page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    ASU=Army Service Uniform, our dress uniform. You're talking about utility uniforms.
    My bad--sorry creamy--As AF, I'm so used to switching uniforms, it became meaningless. I do hope you get what you want in this regard. Who knows? The Army might help defray the costs if they do choose I new ASU.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You giggle every time you say 'cockpit'

-David Letterman "Top Ten ways to know you might not be ready to join the USAF"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is why Marlow White has been in business for 100+ years.