Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Army getting rid of the ASU already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Army getting rid of the ASU already?

what is wrong with the current class A's? They are distinctly "Army" and have been used since about '54, plus everyone already has them! I would not mind the WWII style either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soglejr View Post
    This is why Marlow White has been in business for 100+ years.
    ----

Good point. Just bought a brand new set of ASUs from them...

btw, the "Pinks and Greens" were only worn by officers. Enlisted guys wore the standard issue OD green wool dress/field uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I was Navy, so take it for what it's worth:

Of course, with the phasing out of the Greens and replacing them with the blues, the asshats in specific branches of the Army bitched and moaned and wanted to keep the things that made them look different from the other branches of the Army on their blues. Thus, Airborne types get to wear boots with the ASU and tuck their pants in; and berets are worn with it.
    I guess I'm one of those hats that likes tradition.

I'm tired of filling out surveys no one reads. If I remember correctly last time I already put khaki with a OD jacket. I think the khakis that went away in the mid 80s with a OD green jacket would be sharp. Please don't put black or gold braids on our pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it interesting when people say they like tradition but reject the ASU. Given that the ASU is an imitation of the cavalry uniforms of the 1800's and the "old west era" etc. I rather like that aspect of the uniforms. Personally I think they look a heck of a lot better than the Chair Force uniforms, and IMHO anyone who actually advocates for a belt around the outside of the jacket needs to seriously get a life, or get their head shrunk, or something. Those things look horrible, are a total nightmare to deal with, and serve absolutely no purpose what so ever! Why in the world would you want that thing? On top of that you are more likely that they will shoot for a cloth belt and sash like the Air Force tried... Let me tell you, that went over as well as the blue digitals they tried to go for as well!

Now change to a new uni, keep it the same, I really could care less. I personally hate WHITE in a uniform, it looks bad, and I just want to ask the guy to bring me a freakin Sprite! Plus the dang things turn brown easily, or what ever other color dinner happens to be that day because invariably someone always manages to get it on themselves.

I believe that the Army wears way too much crap on the uniform, and a simpler ASU would be nice given how much they wanted to simplify the ACU way back when. I also happen to like the collarless look the Marines have, and others have had that in the past as well, but I really do not care much. Again at least the ASU has four pockets rather than two or three, and they are not trying to look like a business suit. I dislike the shirt and tie look, and I dislike the collar and having to shift the salad all around because it looks lame IMHO. We are the world's most powerful army, the least we could do is try to look the part.

Long and short of it, I like the ASU's traditional styling, but I do not care for the tie and I couldn't give a crap if they keep it or not. I am never going to go to work in the Pentagon, so I will not have to wear it every day anyhow.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaplainC View Post
    I find it interesting when people say they like tradition but reject the ASU. Given that the ASU is an imitation of the cavalry uniforms of the 1800's and the "old west era" etc. I rather like that aspect of the uniforms.
    Bullshit. The Army can say this until it's blue in the face, but it's not convincing anyone. Take the common sense approach to this. Get a picture of someone in Civil War Era Union uniform and put it next to a picture of someone in the ASU's. They look NOTHING alike. Today's uniform is nothing but Army greens in a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaplainC View Post
    Personally I think they look a heck of a lot better than the Chair Force uniforms, and IMHO anyone who actually advocates for a belt around the outside of the jacket needs to seriously get a life, or get their head shrunk, or something. Those things look horrible, are a total nightmare to deal with, and serve absolutely no purpose what so ever! Why in the world would you want that thing? On top of that you are more likely that they will shoot for a cloth belt and sash like the Air Force tried... Let me tell you, that went over as well as the blue digitals they tried to go for as well!
    Look at the Marine Corps dress blues. They have a white belt around their jacket for enlisted. Compare it to the ASU, and you'll see that the lack of the belt is one of the many things that make the ASU look like shit compared to the Marine Corps blues.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even Chaplains are exempt from a tongue-lashing from Rusty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBen View Post
    Even Chaplains are exempt from a tongue-lashing from Rusty
    Haha, I do not mind, people get out of hand all over the place. What ever right?

Hey if they want to go with the belt for just the E's I am ok with that, but I still think you are nuts. They look like some big gay fashion accessory to wear, I would rather wear the Officer's CAPE and a Wheel Cap than that belt.

Kind regards

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Whoa, you guys aren't even in the Rep Wars forum. Who negged you two, if you know? What were the messages?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the first place, the Scout Uniforms are based on British Army uniforms, whereas our current Green, White and Blue uniforms are based on German uniforms. The point is that neither is original.

This is the first time that the Army has asked the opinion of its junior members on the subject of Uniforms, and I’ll bet that they are ruing the day they ever did. Why? Because all of a sudden the junior Troops are questioning the wisdom of the Seniors, and they are doing so completely in a vacuum. The only reason why the issue has come up again is probably because they want to put the whole subject to rest, and they recognize that the Junior Troops won't be satisfied until they put their full Two Cents in.

Once that is done, they will finish implementing the Blue ASU, tell all and sundry to button their lips, and life in the service will continue.

Incidentally, uniforms have always been gaudy when compared with civilian dress; the more gaudy the better.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

First off, I liked the green uniform. I wore it for 20 years, and was just fine with it.

I also purchased my own set of dress blues; I looked smokin' hot in the blues, so that might color my opinion. It's over, it's done, the end has begun. If you listen to fools, the mob rules.

Now that the blues are the ASU, we just need to return the gold stripe to ALL pants. It is fucking stupid to make an officer uniform, anyway. Service stripes also need to be included. That gold trim looks great on the sleeves.

And quit fucking competing with the Marines; they win. Let it go.