Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does Army Times not capitalize the word "Soldier"?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why does Army Times not capitalize the word "Soldier"?

Mandating respect by regulating Caps? Maybe necessary when there is a strong perception that is disrespectful or less respectful not to do so. soldier vs. Marine is an excellent example. Writing is not a stagnate venue, it is an ever changing, dynamic and powerful tool which can be used to promote respect for those that serve.

I support any effort to use the Caps key, including all Vet organizations adding this to recommended Bills to be submitted by Congress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    At some point within the past few years (maybe more), a directive was put out within the Army to capitalize the word "Soldier" (also "Soldiers") in any written correspondence. At the same time, "Family" (and "Families") was also directed to be capitalized. Yet I notice everytime I read the Army Times, neither word is capitalized, while the word "Marines" is.

I'm very disappointed that the publication that is supposed to report on and for Soldiers does not show us the proper courtesy. I realize that Army Times is not written by Soldiers, but I would expect it to adhere to the same standards when we are its target audience and are one of its main topics.

Is Army Times going to correct this deficiency? Yeah, it's nitpicky or whatever, but it's a bit annoying.
    Because they are not owned and operated by the Army so they don't have to follow Army regulation on correspondence. In civilian journalism, you do not capitalize soldier, airmen, sailor. Marine always has been I think. If it's a newspaper on a military base or written by a PAO, then Soldier is capitalized. A civilian ran one not operated by the military, it's not. There are a lot of differences between civilian journalism and military journalism. Just the way it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoldierwhosaysNi View Post
    I personally think it's pretty silly to capitalize "soldier." Capitalizing "family" borders on ridiculous.

But the Army Times should be ashamed of itself for referring to the companion of a female general as "her wife." According to the English language, the United States government, and common sense, women don't have wives. If they are married, they have husbands. The Army Times should stop being a cheerleader for redefining marriage.
    The military just can't recognize her wife. But they obviously got married in a state that recognizes it. Pretty sure they said the same about the woman who just got promoted to I think four star general and that her wife was there. But not true anymore that if someone is married it's a person of the opposite gender. Don't worry DOMA will get repealed someday and then the federal government will recognize all marriages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Joined up with a Public Affairs unit. Haven't gone to the schoolhouse yet (I don't leave until Mid-October), but according to AP stylebook - "Marine", "Sailor", "Soldier", "Airman" are all supposed to be capitalized.

But I've noticed a lot of "journalists" can be pretty atrocious even with just basic grammar... so it should come as no surprise if they miss the other rules too.
    Is that in the newest AP stylebook? I'm a journalism major and I was never taught that but it has been about eight years since I did that. I was under the impression that it was only under military correspondence regulation to capitalize "soldier." I also took the PA correspondence course a few years back and there are a LOT of differences between PA and civilian journalism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once again the difference between MILITARY & civilians..........'landlubbers' I swear........just.don't.get.it.!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    Once again the difference between MILITARY & civilians..........'landlubbers' I swear........just.don't.get.it.!!
    It is Pentagon policy to capitalize a lot of common nouns including soldier, sailor, airman, family, and nation. It makes official documents read as if they emanate from the Stalin era in the Soviet Union. Magazines and newspapers do not capitalize the word soldier because it is not a proper noun. Their practice is, very simply, correct English. The Pentagon policy is an irritant and the practice of those in this Forum who;ve been drinking the Kool-Aid doesn't help. The word soldier isn't capitalized, plain and simply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    It is Pentagon policy to capitalize a lot of common nouns including soldier, sailor, airman, family, and nation. It makes official documents read as if they emanate from the Stalin era in the Soviet Union. Magazines and newspapers do not capitalize the word soldier because it is not a proper noun. Their practice is, very simply, correct English. The Pentagon policy is an irritant and the practice of those in this Forum who;ve been drinking the Kool-Aid doesn't help. The word soldier isn't capitalized, plain and simply.
    Thank you for clearing that up Bob; But I was led to BELIEVE it was a sign of respect to capitalize it,my bad.....got.to.be.PC.on.forum.arrrgghhh........... .........................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up Bob; But I was led to BELIEVE it was a sign of respect to capitalize it,my bad.....got.to.be.PC.on.forum.arrrgghhh........... .........................
    Thank you for not getting snarky here. Of course, it is intended as a sign of respect -- a profoundly misguided attempt that is a significant error and undermines the credibility of every document in which it appears. Wanting to bestow respect on someone is not a ground for changing the English language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:spy Makes you 'wonder' how we EVER made it past the 50's tru the 70's without the NEW rules.laws,taxes,regulations,we never needed before? Oh yea...took 'Respect' out of the dictionary!! :croc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how we made it through the entire nineteenth century without a federal income tax. Go figure.