Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 178 of 178

Thread: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

  1. #171
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    So by your logic, just because many are also doing it and not getting caught that makes it OK. Again, no personal accountability. It is a very simple concept: if you do not like to get speeding tickets, don't speed. If you do not want to pay large penalties for exceeding your credit limit, don't exceed you credit limit. Why should the bank go out of their way to protect you from yourself?



    Guns do not spontaneously pull their own triggers. You willingly use your credit card. Your example fails because it would only make sense if someone stole your credit card and that is how the limit on the card was exceeded. Kudos for trying to bring in the 2nd Amendment / gun nut debate.



    I disagree. Credit is a service offered. It is very comparable to a product that one buys and uses. I don't need a sticker on my propane tank to tell me I should not drill a hole into it. I am already certain that is a bad idea. I don't need a warning on my garbage bags to know that I should not seal on over my head or I will suffocate. I already know that is a bad idea. When one applies for and is granted credit, there is paperwork involved that clearly outlines the limits of the credit, the fees for the credit, and the penalties for not following the agreement.

    The banks and credit card companies are in business to make a profit on the service they offer. If this was not the case, none of them would exist. That is why there is an interest rate attached to the deal. If you are so afraid of the "predatory practices" then you should either avoid credit cards until you know how to responsibly uses them or try to find a lender that does not care if you go over the limit and just gives you a pass for doing so. Lots of luck with option #2.
    Yeah, I don't know how to do this multi-quote bullshit that you guys that like to sit here all day and argue do so I am just going to answer you in one long rambling paragraph. I could give a shit about what you think about the speeding argument, because that argument has nothing to do with this situation and is non comparative. You are comparing apples and oranges. So you can get into semantics all you want but the speeding comparison is null and void. So you are saying that the gun owner bears no responsibility? hmm, interesting. 50 states have laws that disagree with you. I sure hope you don't have a license to own a gun, or worse a concealed carry license. And how is bringing up that example trying to bring up the second amendment? lol, I do own a gun and have a concealed carry fyi. You are just trying to sidetrack the main argument. You disagree with my example? I am so hurt. You disagree only because it perfectly illustrates how the bank bears comparative responsibility. Since you claim that USAA "clearly" lays out all their fees and tricks, I challenge you to go find their policy on over limit transactions and fees. Thanks for the 2 cent advise on credit cards, but I;ve never had a problem. ohh, btw, Congress has already passed some laws and is in the process of passing some more to stop these predatory practices by the CC companies. How's that for a multi-quote response? lol

  2. #172
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    It's a legal concept to responsibility for "injury". I'm not even sure there is an injury in this case.
    It's also called proportional responsibility. Either way, it answered your question.

  3. #173
    Senior Member grimreaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    4th Dimension
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    Yeah, I don't know how to do this multi-quote bullshit that you guys that like to sit here all day and argue do so I am just going to answer you in one long rambling paragraph. I could give a shit about what you think about the speeding argument, because that argument has nothing to do with this situation and is non comparative. You are comparing apples and oranges. So you can get into semantics all you want but the speeding comparison is null and void. So you are saying that the gun owner bears no responsibility? hmm, interesting. 50 states have laws that disagree with you. I sure hope you don't have a license to own a gun, or worse a concealed carry license. And how is bringing up that example trying to bring up the second amendment? lol, I do own a gun and have a concealed carry fyi. You are just trying to sidetrack the main argument. You disagree with my example? I am so hurt. You disagree only because it perfectly illustrates how the bank bears comparative responsibility. Since you claim that USAA "clearly" lays out all their fees and tricks, I challenge you to go find their policy on over limit transactions and fees. Thanks for the 2 cent advise on credit cards, but I;ve never had a problem. ohh, btw, Congress has already passed some laws and is in the process of passing some more to stop these predatory practices by the CC companies. How's that for a multi-quote response? lol
    LOL, if and when he gets reported to his Chain of Command by the bank for failure to pay, how do you think the excuse "But the bank allowed me to go over my credit limit" is going to fly? Nuff said.

  4. #174
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    LOL, if and when he gets reported to his Chain of Command by the bank for failure to pay, how do you think the excuse "But the bank allowed me to go over my credit limit" is going to fly? Nuff said.
    He'll probably get some paperwork, as he should.

  5. #175
    Senior Member efmbman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    ...one long rambling paragraph...
    I did not intend to get you all emotional... my apologies. I am just the type of person that accepts personal responsibility for my actions. Maybe you don't. To each his own I guess. I don't blame McDonalds for overweight people - I blame those that eat irresponsibly. I find it sad that there is such a large segment of our society that would rather point a finger at someone or something for all their troubles instead of looking in the mirror and changing how they do things.

    I appreciate your concern about if I own a gun. I can share concerns, too. I hope you are not a leader of troops. Your position on responsibility will further erode the readiness and maturity of any troops you are in charge of. Would you apply this same logic toward your troops? If a troop that you are responsible for shows up for duty drunk and offers the excuse that the bartender kept serving would you accept that? Or would you take the position that the troop is ultimately responsible for their own actions?

    You have your opinions, I have mine. Let's leave it at that. It was an interesting debate until the emotions arrived.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  6. #176
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I did not intend to get you all emotional... my apologies. I am just the type of person that accepts personal responsibility for my actions. Maybe you don't. To each his own I guess. I don't blame McDonalds for overweight people - I blame those that eat irresponsibly. I find it sad that there is such a large segment of our society that would rather point a finger at someone or something for all their troubles instead of looking in the mirror and changing how they do things.

    I appreciate your concern about if I own a gun. I can share concerns, too. I hope you are not a leader of troops. Your position on responsibility will further erode the readiness and maturity of any troops you are in charge of. Would you apply this same logic toward your troops? If a troop that you are responsible for shows up for duty drunk and offers the excuse that the bartender kept serving would you accept that? Or would you take the position that the troop is ultimately responsible for their own actions?

    You have your opinions, I have mine. Let's leave it at that. It was an interesting debate until the emotions arrived.
    ANd I'll flip it right back at ya buddy. I hope you don't lead troops. Your position on responsibility, that everything is 100% the troops fault all the time, leads to this zero tolerance bullshit we see in some units where people get article 15s for the smallest infractions.

    btw, don't let my above post saying I would give the guy paperwork throw you off. lol

  7. #177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Banking and finance is such a personal choice that it's hard to say why people leave one bank (or insurer) for another. What rates you get (and who is competitive) depends on the individual circumstances.

    For myself, I've found USAA to offer the best rates on auto/home insurance with the coverages I carry. Life insurance, they couldn't even come close to the VGLI rates. I can't say I'm thrilled at their loan/credit card rates, but I haven't found substantially lower rates anywhere else. The representatives are helpful and don't give me the "hard sell" on their other products. As a mortgage servicer, they are spot on, at least from my experience.

    But like I said, financial institutions are a rather personal experience. Your mileage my vary.
    Well said. When i initially got my car in Guam back in 05, i went local as it was quicker. When i got it stateside in 07, i shopped around, and USAA turned out to be 87 bucks a quarter cheaper for my bill. When i got my house in Gulfport, they were 73 bucks (72.50 to be exact) cheaper for home owners insurance than Geico, 88.75 cheaper than allstate, and iirc 102 or so cheaper than State farm. BUT by then i had been banking with NFCU for well over 15 years, so didn't bother shifting my banking over to them.
    Still have not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    When I PCSd I lost windshield coverage.. They never told me this. My rates went up so I raised my deductible. Well first week in my new car and my windshield shattered.. They wouldnt cover it.. $550 down the drain... When I called to get it replaced under the insurance they told me it wasnt covered.. I told them it was at my last base they said its not at this one. I asked them well why the hell didnt you tell me? Their response was do you expect us to tell you all the changes with your coverage when you PCS?? Uhh yeah..
    DAMN. you got borked man. So i can understand your frustration.

    Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    In all fairness, are there any banks out there where the majority of comments are not complaints? When you deal with money in today's economy, rarely are people going to be happy.
    +100. I have found out through the years, whether ti was NFCU, hotels, other banks etc, when people are happy with the service from said institution, they just stay content. When people are irked, they voice it.

    Quote Originally Posted by WPNS View Post
    Rep with an attitude? Far from it old man. My point is that there are so many people out there that want to be hand-walked across the path of life that it's quite comical. So of course you'll get the very best service possible from me, but that doesn't mean I'm not secretly calling you a total fuck-tard in my mind.
    Over the years, even with handouts showing what to do, i have been surprised at the number of numpties who still call our help desk (ADP/COMMS) to ask how do i do xyz. So i can understand where you are coming from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Anybody use the Home Value Monitoring on USAA?

    How does it work for you? I think mine is pretty low...there is a $40K difference between USAA Home Value and Zestimate. I kind of like the Zestimate one and think it's closer to reality.
    What's that??

  8. #178
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

    AH.. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Predicting the Downfall of USAA
    By VFFSSGT in forum Air Force
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •