Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Predicting the Downfall of USAA

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    I'm sorry, man, but no "regular guy" drops 30K on bulletproof glass or prepares his ride for the zombie apocalypse like you. It's your money, so rock on, brother, but, as the kids today say, I'm SMH.
    There's a letter in the Washington Times today from a lieutenant general in charge of "defeating" improvised explosive devices. Only in post-Orwell America can you "defeat" a device, Ever eager to expand his empire, he claims that there are 500 incidents around the world outside Iraq and Afghanistan and that terrorists will bring improvised explosive devices to our "homeland." You can bet they'll have a good job waiting for him on K Street when he retires. If there is any other reason to make like Tony Montana, it eludes me. The scariest thing on the road is people texting, not roadside bombs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PickYourBattles View Post
    Please elaborate. You mean no regular guy does because a regular guy doesn't have the money? Or do you mean something else?
    Both. No "regular" person is as paranoid as your behavior would suggest. I can think of a lot of things a regular guy would spend 30K on, but "up-armoring" his sedan isn't one of them.

Shaking your head in disapproval, why?
    Not disapproval, disbelief. It's your money, so it's not my place (even on the internet!) to disapprove of your choices.

It makes me and my wife safer. The world is less safe if you haven't noticed. The U.S. is less safe, and getting less safe especially for those of us who live on the border of Mexico and its drug violence. I take a look at the economy and the finances and the state of affairs in America, and I predict it will be much less safe. Because my look at the economy and finances had led me to make a little money, I've been lucky enough to be in the position to invest in something that makes it a bit safer for myself and my wife when we travel.
    Not sure I buy that argument. After all, you DO have to get OUT of the car at some point. It may make you safer from random gunfire (or even targeted fire), but perhaps (and I have done exactly zero research on the matter) a heavier car makes it MORE dangerous in a collision to yourself or others. Or perhaps your increased fuel consumption makes our little middle eastern wars of choice (tm) a little more likely. Maybe. But maybe not. Your choice. I'm shaking my head only because I don't think I've ever "met" anyone who exhibits your mentality before. It's amazement, not disapproval.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    There's a letter in the Washington Times today from a lieutenant general in charge of "defeating" improvised explosive devices. Only in post-Orwell America can you "defeat" a device, Ever eager to expand his empire, he claims that there are 500 incidents around the world outside Iraq and Afghanistan and that terrorists will bring improvised explosive devices to our "homeland." You can bet they'll have a good job waiting for him on K Street when he retires. If there is any other reason to make like Tony Montana, it eludes me. The scariest thing on the road is people texting, not roadside bombs.
    You must be referring to JIEDDO. I think we as a country would be irresponsible to not use our technological advantage to render the devices less effective. That doesn't mean the overarching strategy is sound...just that "we" can't do nothing when we have the means to do "something."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both. No "regular" person is as paranoid as your behavior would suggest. I can think of a lot of things a regular guy would spend 30K on, but "up-armoring" his sedan isn't one of them.
    Got ya. So we have terrorist attacks in the U.S. and intel that says troops here, and their families, are at risk of terrorist attacks (at least in certain targeted jobs). The FBI arrested an AQ member at a university not even a year ago, who was within two hours of my base. Full disclosure, I got the car to protect me from domestic terrorists wearing badges, but law breakers are law breakers and it all factors in.

So what would a regular guy spend his 30K on, given this situation? And consider this regular guy has necessities met, doing well. What would a regular guy spend his money on then, if not to protect himself and his family? And should we shake our heads at that regular guy because he didn't buy a bunch of Xbox 360s, or a new car, or put an expansion on his house, or dig a pool but took the "irregular" step of protecting himself and his wife while on the road?

Not disapproval, disbelief. It's your money, so it's not my place (even on the internet!) to disapprove of your choices.
    But you have. SMH.

Not sure I buy that argument. After all, you DO have to get OUT of the car at some point.
    That's true. As a pilot, I have to get INTO the jet at some point and fly missions where I may be shot at, so why put on a seat belt when driving to work prior to the flight?

It may make you safer from random gunfire (or even targeted fire), but perhaps (and I have done exactly zero research on the matter) a heavier car makes it MORE dangerous in a collision to yourself or others.
    It's not much heavier. Spectra Shield is great stuff. It's like two fat girls riding in the back, so it's not dangerous. Unless I have two fat girls also riding in the back.

Or perhaps your increased fuel consumption makes our little middle eastern wars of choice (tm) a little more likely. Maybe. But maybe not. Your choice.
    That's a real stretch.

I'm shaking my head only because I don't think I've ever "met" anyone who exhibits your mentality before. It's amazement, not disapproval.
    Just come out and say it. You are already saying it, so just be clear and own it.
    COURAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Well, you aren't going to like this answer either, but yes [I would follow an unlawful order to round up innocent Americans by force and throw them into concentration camps]. ...I probably would have obeyed the order for self preservation purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You must be referring to JIEDDO. I think we as a country would be irresponsible to not use our technological advantage to render the devices less effective. That doesn't mean the overarching strategy is sound...just that "we" can't do nothing when we have the means to do "something."
    We do have a responsibility. Indeed we do. Far too many young Americans have been blown up. The one percent have given far too many of their sons and daughters, or at least pieces of them, in detonations on roadways. But to attempt to neutralize these devices we're spending hundreds of times what it costs to plant them in the road and, like the Soviet Union before us, are in danger of spending ourselves into oblivion. We're in our eleventh year in Afghanistan and appear to have achieved only modest success against improvised explosive devices. It's possible we may never find a very effective solution. Our first responsibility is to provide for the common defense. No more women's programs, no more schools, no more anti-narcotics. We end any program in Afghanistan that doesn't directly kill core al-Qaeda members -- and bring everyone else home. As for the general's suggestion that improvised explosive devices will appear here, it's classic empire-building. No one could ever set such a device around here because of the volume of traffic in Fairfax County.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Got ya. So we have terrorist attacks in the U.S. and intel that says troops here, and their families, are at risk of terrorist attacks (at least in certain targeted jobs). The FBI arrested an AQ member at a university not even a year ago, who was within two hours of my base. Full disclosure, I got the car to protect me from domestic terrorists wearing badges, but law breakers are law breakers and it all factors in.
    You. Are. Exhibiting. Paranoid. Behavior. In. My. Opinion.

So what would a regular guy spend his 30K on, given this situation? And consider this regular guy has necessities met, doing well. What would a regular guy spend his money on then, if not to protect himself and his family? And should we shake our heads at that regular guy because he didn't buy a bunch of Xbox 360s, or a new car, or put an expansion on his house, or dig a pool but took the "irregular" step of protecting himself and his wife while on the road?
    Your choice. Obviously not one many others make.

That's true. As a pilot, I have to get INTO the jet at some point and fly missions where I may be shot at, so why put on a seat belt when driving to work prior to the flight?
    Surely you're not suggesting that the incidence of traffic accidents is anywhere near the incidence of random dudes being shot up by your friendly neighborhood jack-booted thugs, are you? Did you steal plutonium from the Libyans a la Doc Brown? Either way, you should always wear a seat belt.

Just come out and say it. You are already saying it, so just be clear and own it.
    That I think you're exhibiting abnormal levels of paranoia? That I think you revel in every little petty argument you can foment on this board? Guilty. At least you're adding to the economy by spending your money on James Bond 101 shit instead of stuffing your mattress with it. Bravo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, has this gone off topic :kev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The FBI arrested an AQ member at a university not even a year ago, who was within two hours of my base.
    With the exception of two people who were detained upon arriving from overseas in airliners, I have not heard of the federal government arresting an al-Qaeda member in the United States since September 11, 2001. There have been plenty of guilty pleas (under great pressure) and convictions on conspiracy charges -- the Lackawanna six, for example -- and there has been a lot of entrapment of self-styled violent morons, but to the best of my knowledge no known al-Qaeda member. The wife of the skipper of the Vincennes notwithstanding, a violent crime at Fort Hood notwithstanding, to my knowledge there has never been an occasion when an international terrorist group has targeted a member of the armed forces within the United States.

If PickYourBattles is armored up because of a fear of the government in Washington or a fear of local authorities, then my reaction is, "Right on!" The same concern has been on my mind ever since the darkest day in our nation's history, January 20, 2001.

To watch almost thirty minutes of unbroken violations of Constitutional law by sworn officers in uniform, look no farther than the television program "Cops!" They use enormous resources to go after poor people who often have no teeth and may have a little weed in addition to a broken tail light. The police who appear on that show are a disgrace to the many good and careful police officers who do a good job every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mustang View Post
    I love USAA. I have a new car loan at 2.5% (bought three months ago) and the car buying service was a great experience. I have most of my accounts with them, to include my Roth and kids college funds. The credit union I have been a member of for almost twenty years doesn't compare. Also, after going through hurricane Katrina, they covered my car damage and replaced my refrigerated food loss in record time and without a hassle. They have always been professional and given me great service...they have my loyalty.
    Might want to be careful with the investment side of USAA. I carry just about all my acct with them EXCEPT my retirement accounts. Go over to Vanguard.com and compare the funds expense ratio you have at USAA to similar funds at Vanguard. I would wager you are paying 2-3x the expenses at USAA as you would at Vanguard. Over the long term a funds expense ratio can REALLY drag down the performance of your accounts by thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been with USAA for over thirty years. Staying with them until the day I die. Service is great. They bend over backwards to help. I like those dividend checks every year, and especially the Subscriber's Savings Account. I trust USAA more than I trust any civilian financial organization. And the bigger USAA grows, the stronger they'll stay. Remember, USAA management doesn't answer to bankers anywhere. There is no share price to maintain. I particularly like a quote from USAA, "If we can't understand it, we aren't going to invest in it." If other banks and financial institutions had that attitude maybe the sub-prime debacle could have been alleviated or averted.

I also want to weigh in with Capt Alfredo on the subject of purchasing $30K of bulletproof glass for a vehicle. In San Antonio? Please. Lived there five years, no problems in that regard. You just watch where you go at night, just like anywhere else. Domestic terrorists wearing badges? Please. No, something doesn't seem quite right here.