Thread: Combatives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Combatives

When in the hell did combatives become a mandatory block of training? Seems to be BS if you ask me and only in the Army due to the popularity of the F#$#@% MMA and UFC. What the hell has the Army come to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Combatives

Spent time as a Drill in 70's and can say for sure that combatives was always a mandatory block going back to WWII. My question would be, when was it stopped and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to current doctrine, Combatives is "The pinnacle of the Army PT program" (this is, in fact, straight from the manual and currently taught at WLC). The reasons they give are that it combines reflexive training, raw power, and endurance together at once.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I am not certain about the former" -Albert Einstein.

JD2780

It's an excellent PT program as long as it conducted with maturity. Just like when training for an amateur fight, you never go full speed against your buddy. Don't be too proud to tap.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weathtd View Post
    Spent time as a Drill in 70's and can say for sure that combatives was always a mandatory block going back to WWII. My question would be, when was it stopped and why?
    Agreed. To me the army and marines should always train hand to hand.