Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strat

Most people promoted to SMSgt/CMSgt are not strated. With that said, are strats just “one” good bullet or do you think they truly make a “significant” difference to the promotion board? For those who have been strated…did it significantly change your scores the following board…?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Strat

OK, I'll bite - what the hell is being "strated"?
    A TRANSPORTER - NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOMETHING MOVES!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calmo70 View Post
    "My #2 SNCO out of 6" as a line on your EPR; that sort of thing.

This year was my first eligilble for stratification, so I don't know how it will affect anything--or where I ended up at yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's short for stratification.
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've run into an issue where my unit has a Strat worksheet. It basically assigns point values for things like degrees, # of PCSs, #of post-2001 deployments, awards, etc. My big issue with it is that this unit is primarily aircraft maintainers. As a missile guy, I've been automatically handicapped by this worksheet. My career field simply does not have the PCS and Deployment #s to compete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Try View Post
    Most people promoted to SMSgt/CMSgt are not strated. With that said, are strats just “one” good bullet or do you think they truly make a “significant” difference to the promotion board? For those who have been strated…did it significantly change your scores the following board…?
    I was not strated when I tested for SMSgt; I made it the first time. I was not strated my first time testing for CMSgt, #1 of X the second time and got the exact same board score each time.
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SRE is the real deal maker - hard to get promoted without it. Strat, on the other hand, has all the jump through hoops and politicking requirements, with far more subjectivity. I would rather not have a strat than a have weak one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok - now I understand. Now, I retired in 1998, but worked for a retired E-9 dickhead at Ramstein in the late 80's as his Supt. He tried to give me a 4 EPR as a Senior because I fought with him so much on dumb crap he was trying to put on the troops in our shop. Luckily, our sq/cc made him change it.

But, he went the other way knowing it would hurt me with the first line on the EPR stating., "SMSgt ------ is without a doubt the best senior NCO in the Air Force." Long story short - I made Senior first time eligible, highest board score and number one selectee in my AFSC. After this line on the top EPR going before the Chief promotion board, my board score was 60 points below my senior score, and I was number 13 non-select in the AFSC.

So - to me, unless the person writing it is at a level that it matters, it could end up hurting you more than it helps.
    A TRANSPORTER - NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOMETHING MOVES!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strats are a product of a failed enlisted evaluation system. Since just about everyone is a 5, they had to devise another method to sort out who unit leadership REALLY wants to see promoted to SMSgt and CMSgt. It's a flawed system though because you're being ranked among other SNCOs in other functional areas and only in that particular rating chain/unit; but you compete against your career-field peers across the entire Air Force for the actual promotions.

Basically not having one or not sends a message to the board about how your leadership REALLY feels about your prospects for higher responsibility. Some say they don't matter, but I'd bet they have at least some impact on the board member's scoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You know, this is a pretty good question. I was given a pretty good strat at 1 assignment and it didn't seem to do much. Then I changed units and missed the strat board so I was left out cold for a whole board cycle. However, when the command chief reviewed my records, he realized I would have probably been given a strat. So, instead of the normal #X out of XX, I was given a very strong promotion statement from the Sr Rater. It was my best board score and I was selected. Coincidence? Don't know. At the very least it told me the strats (even from a 3-star) were not as important as everyone thinks.