Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

Tak

Re: Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

Quote Originally Posted by Outback 1982 View Post
    Did you retire and receive a disability rating for the severe sleep disturbance? I also did the study, woke up 47 times, with 2-3 apnea episodes, but have to have at least 9+ per hour to be on the lower end for a diagnosis. ENT has suggested 02 therapy and possibly CPAP later on.
    I retire effective 1 Dec, I'll let you know what happens. In the meantime it's been a battle becuase the Dr who reads tests only diagnosis for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. So in one sentence I dont have it, but for my sever sleep disturbance the same Dr put me on CPAP. I will file the sleep disturbance with CPAP, and let the VA figure it out. I actually asked the rep from VA at TAP and he stated it would be in the percentages allowed for whatever is claimed. Meaning if there are other areas such as sleep disturbance, I better check the CFR 38, now that I think about it. I need the right termonology and also it will tell if it's like 0, 30, 50 etc based on the effects it has on your life. If you think about it, we sleep 30% of hour days/life, so it's a big effect. I am banking on the CPAP pushing the VA into rating at least something.

Note: Insomnia is in the mental arena. My connection says, mention the distrurbance with CPAP and hope VA rep throws it into the arena of apnea, as it more closely fits that. Just my two cents based on a trusted source.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Put down the Code of Federal Regulations and get back to work scumbags. You can sleep when you're dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bb stacker View Post
    rainman will be along shortly to berate all of you bloodsucking va leaches.
    Wow, do you know how to call it, or what?
    "Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Put down the Code of Federal Regulations and get back to work scumbags. You can sleep when you're dead.

Eat a turd.

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Blew my mind when I found out too. From what I've researched though it is not always hereditary. much of the time extra wieght (i.e. fat) contributes greatly. Once I got diagnosed and talking to people I know a ton of people technically have it and most don't know it until a sleep study is done. I know people that have it so bad that they are walking zombies until it was treated... I was lucky mine is not that bad. Definitely don't know why it is considered 50% disabled but I'm sure there is a reason.

You'd think if it is from birth and so many people have it they would screen for it at MEPS?
    That is true, you think they would screen out those who have it.. like they do epilepsy or asthma.

So yes, 50% is worth it...
    Not if you had it prior coming in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That is true, you think they would screen out those who have it.. like they do epilepsy or asthma.

Not if you had it prior coming in.
    How many people at age 18 have something like this? I'm willing to bet few. In my case, it was first noticed when I was about 32 years old, when a chick I was banging at the time said I stopped breathing in my sleep and it scared the crap outta her. None of my previous roomies had mentioned anything similar to that, except that I used to snore really loud. If you ever get the UPPP surgery done, I guarantee you it is the most painful experience, next to getting your balls smashed with a sledge hammer.

Either way, if I'm gonna be Uncle Scam's butt-monkey, then he needs to take care of me when I've got problems....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've never heard of this until recently. I'm wondering if I should get tested at some point. I've noticed cases where I've been falling asleep and then wake up because it felt like I stopped breathing. No matter how much sleep at night I get, I always have trouble waking and I fall asleep while sitting at my desk sometimes. Might be worth looking into.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Posted by MACHINE666 If you ever get the UPPP surgery done, I guarantee you it is the most painful experience, next to getting your balls smashed with a sledge hammer.

That's a big negative there ghostrider... Have a kidney stone pass down your urethra, then tell me what pain is!!!! I've had the UPPP surgery, I'd have that pain daily to guarantee I never felt the death of a kidney stone taking it's sweet ass time passing out the tip of my pecker!
    Confucius once said, "People who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly fingers" :kev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WPNS View Post
    Posted by MACHINE666 If you ever get the UPPP surgery done, I guarantee you it is the most painful experience, next to getting your balls smashed with a sledge hammer.

That's a big negative there ghostrider... Have a kidney stone pass down your urethra, then tell me what pain is!!!! I've had the UPPP surgery, I'd have that pain daily to guarantee I never felt the death of a kidney stone taking it's sweet ass time passing out the tip of my pecker!
    I'll have to take your word on the kidney stone thing...but that UPPP surgery was brutal for me.....

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE666 View Post
    I'll have to take your word on the kidney stone thing...but that UPPP surgery was brutal for me.....
    worse than your hysterectomy? what percentage did you get when they removed your ovary? Can one of you barracks lawyers with your noses burried in the CFR please enlighten the board...