Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I honestly can't see WHY sleep apnea, which is a condition you have from birth (from what i remember of reading on it), so therefore it should not be considered military related, should count for disability.. IIRC all the disability rating is for is to compensate you for injuries and disabilities you received DUE to your mil work.
    I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and use a CPAP. For what I was told during my MEB process is that Sleep Apnea is a condition that can get progressively worst as you get older and if you get it diagnosed while in service it will be rated service connected.

They where trying to take it off the list but Congress put a stop to that in 2007. In my case the AF assigned a code of EPTS (existing prior to service) to my condition but speaking with a few subject matter experts of VA disability claims they tell me that if it wasn't on my records prior to coming in I will get the 50%.

The social security administration also considers sleep apnea as a disability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    wha?

Yeah...I had a troop with sleep apnea and he was always nodding off. He was worse than Rip Van Winkle.. I don't see why the taxpayers should pay people to sleep.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I'm retired, getting disability, and sleep apnea is an automatic 50%.... Just takes the VA a few years to get the claim process finished. and THEN the backpay has to go to DFAS for a 90 day audit. So don't plan on spending any of it for a good long while
    Confucius once said, "People who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly fingers" :kev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some people may think that 50% disability for sleep apnea is a scam, but rest assured, it's not.

I've had sleep apnea for the longest time, and even had the UPPP surgery done in order to correct it....it worked for a while but now it's ineffective. Using the CPAP device helps somewhat in my case, only no matter how hard I try to sleep with the mask on at night, I can never fall into the deep stages of REM sleep. It really sucks. Most of the time I sleep without it, and feel like a train wreck upon waking, since I never get good quality rest. I'm dragging ass throughout the day and have trouble getting to sleep despite being chronically tired.

Ultimately it is a life-threatening condition since you stop breathing when asleep. Sometimes it's just for a few seconds, and other times it can be up to a minute before your body's natural rhythm catches it and you start breathing again. Either way, it can affect your blood pressure, heart, and create secondary health problems.

So yes, 50% is worth it...
    "Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blew my mind when I found out too. From what I've researched though it is not always hereditary. much of the time extra wieght (i.e. fat) contributes greatly. Once I got diagnosed and talking to people I know a ton of people technically have it and most don't know it until a sleep study is done. I know people that have it so bad that they are walking zombies until it was treated... I was lucky mine is not that bad. Definitely don't know why it is considered 50% disabled but I'm sure there is a reason.

You'd think if it is from birth and so many people have it they would screen for it at MEPS?
    I fit that category.
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

rainman will be along shortly to berate all of you bloodsucking va leaches.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post

My problem is I had the sleep test, no sleep apnea, but severe sleep disturbance,
    have been on CPAP every sense
    Did you retire and receive a disability rating for the severe sleep disturbance? I also did the study, woke up 47 times, with 2-3 apnea episodes, but have to have at least 9+ per hour to be on the lower end for a diagnosis. ENT has suggested 02 therapy and possibly CPAP later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was diagnosed with it back at my 1st duty station. Tried the CPAP, but I kept knocking it off my face. They did a surgery on my nose to widen the nasal passages. That was awesome. It crept back though and a few yrs later I had a sleep study but it didn't register enough.

Def gonna get that study again before I retire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Forgive my ignorance but it will be a few years before I retire so I haven't looked into VA retirement benefits all that much. My doctor mentioned that my sleep apnea will be worth 50% disability from the VA when I retire. Can someone please tell me exactly what this means? Does the VA cut you an extra check every month or something or is there some kind of tax benefit? Do I get to park in handicap spots?
    (j/k on that last one....)
    38 CFR Part 4, Diagnostic Code 6847

6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):
    Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy 100
    Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine 50
    Persistent day-time hypersomnolence 30
    Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing 0

Google CRDP. Congrats.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I honestly can't see WHY sleep apnea, which is a condition you have from birth (from what i remember of reading on it), so therefore it should not be considered military related, should count for disability.. IIRC all the disability rating is for is to compensate you for injuries and disabilities you received DUE to your mil work.
    From what I understand, it can also develop later in life, and as a result of military service. The problem of course is that there are a lot of cases that WERE in fact pre-existing. I knew a guy who had it before he enlisted, yet was able to milk disability for it when he was discharged.