Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard Academy to honor first black grad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Coast Guard Academy to honor first black grad

Since becoming the first African-American to graduate from the Coast Guard Academy in 1966, Merle Smith has seen more diversity among the corps of cadets. But he says the academy still has work to do to better reflect the face of America.
    The service academy, which is honoring Smith with a pioneer award Sunday, has been getting pressure from Congress to boost enrollment of minorities, particularly African-Americans, who account for about 5 percent of incoming cadets.

Read more about it here:http://www.militarytimes.com/news/20...aduate-033012/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Coast Guard Academy to honor first black grad

The Coast Guard and the Coast Guard Academy deserve credit for making a mid-course adjustment and getting out in front on equal-opportunity issues. Even in the short time since the above post appeared, things have improved a lot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CORNELIUSSEON View Post
    The service academy, which is honoring Smith with a pioneer award Sunday, has been getting pressure from Congress to boost enrollment of minorities, particularly African-Americans, who account for about 5 percent of incoming cadets.
    It's always been my understanding that admission to the Coast Guard Academy doesn't involve Congressmen the way the other service academies do, and that it's more similar to trying to get into most other four-year universities with the exception of having to meet the requirements to serve in the Coast Guard.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From the Coast Guard Academy web site:

Q: Do I need a congressional nomination?
    A: No. Admittance is based solely on personal merit.

FLAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    The Coast Guard and the Coast Guard Academy deserve credit for making a mid-course adjustment and getting out in front on equal-opportunity issues. Even in the short time since the above post appeared, things have improved a lot.
    Not sure I understand how "boosting" minority numbers can be done without discriminating against otherwise equally (or more) qualified white people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Not sure I understand how "boosting" minority numbers can be done without discriminating against otherwise equally (or more) qualified white people.
    It's very difficult to find the right balance. No question. I believe in integration. I'm not so sure, though, about diversity.

FLAPS

It's very difficult to find the right balance. No question. I believe in integration. I'm not so sure, though, about diversity.
    Fair integration can only happen naturally, not by force. It's sad that in the name of "equality," many people insist that we apply some form of affirmative action to "right" the balance. The problem is, this very practice is discriminatory. I personally had absolutely NOTHING to do with the atrocities or discrimination against black people over the last 200 years. Why is it that I have to pay the price? Discrimination is discrimination, no matter how you apply it. Maybe one day it will stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Intergration absolutley. Diversity programs are complete bullshit though.
    “Tolerance is ok… but acceptance is much better!”

ISLAM...A religion of peace. And they'll blow you up to prove it!

There are three things I absolutely loathe...knee jerk reactions, micro-management and political correctness

“Political correctness is simply a speed bump in the traffic of truth, free thought and speech.”

"Take your blue Kool-Aid and choke on it!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes. FLAPS and golfer55 have it about right. Good points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your not the most qualified, not my problem. Do something to make yourself the most qualified. Don't push the bullshit diversity programs that eliminate MORE qualified people so institutions can look like a freakin rainbow of colors. It's complete crap in my book. Shit gets me agrivated about as much as people who push politically correctness around

rant over
    “Tolerance is ok… but acceptance is much better!”

ISLAM...A religion of peace. And they'll blow you up to prove it!

There are three things I absolutely loathe...knee jerk reactions, micro-management and political correctness

“Political correctness is simply a speed bump in the traffic of truth, free thought and speech.”

"Take your blue Kool-Aid and choke on it!"