Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy Phrases That Make No Sense

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Navy Phrases That Make No Sense

"Full Bird Captain" - only reason I can see for using that one is to differentiate between someone whose rank actually is captain and the commanding officer of a vessel, who may be a CDR or LCDR, who would also be called a captain as they are the captain of their ship.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    "Full Bird Captain" - only reason I can see for using that one is to differentiate between someone whose rank actually is captain and the commanding officer of a vessel, who may be a CDR or LCDR, who would also be called a captain as they are the captain of their ship.
    Back when the name of the rank of present day one-star Admirals was "Commodore," were they called "Full Star Commodores" to distinguish themselves from Captains serving in that capacity, such as DESRONs?

If not, I doubt that could be it. I'm sure that there had to have been many more ways that would make more sense than "Full Bird Captain." Even just simply "Bird Captain" would make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ever sent anyone looking for a padeye puller?
    or bucket of prop wash?
    oldie but goodies. great for teaching someone the layout, and meeting folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    "The brow is now open for normal traffic."
    This is normally passed after the brow has been secured. What I'm wondering is why they don't say "the brow is now open for traffic." Why do they have to say NORMAL traffic? Can the brow be open for ABNORMAL traffic?
    Semantics. Normal, regular, usual, ordinary, customary, common. If the brow is in place it’s open for varying degrees of traffic. All hands, khaki (‘and above’) only, officers only, CO only, etc.

"There are divers working over the side. Do not throw anything over the side..."

Does this mean that when the divers secure, that we CAN throw things over the side?
    Mooring lines, water, emergency jettison for things burning, ashes for burial at sea (people do work OTS underway), etc.

I always thought it was interesting how punishment is "awarded" at Captain's Mast.

Dan
    CTOC(AW), USN, Retired

Recruit Training Command (Company 50), Orlando, FL Dec 1981-Jan 1982; CTO "A" and "C" schools NTTC Corry Station, Pensacola, FL Feb-Oct 1982; USS Saratoga (CV-60) 1982-1985; USS Forrestal (CV-59) 1985-1988; ONI Det Naval War College, Newport, RI 1988-1991; NAVSECGRUACT Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal 1991-1992; NAVSECGRUACT Rota, Spain 1992-1995; National Security Agency, Fort Meade, MD 1995-1998; USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) 1998-2001.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How about "All Hands." Shouldn't it be rephrased as: "All Enlisted?"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    How about "All Hands." Shouldn't it be rephrased as: "All Enlisted?"
    That's one of the things that have always pissed me off. I remember when I was a Second Class on shore duty, and there was "all hands" PT on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. E6 and above never showed up.

Now, here's the thing: If it was called "E5 and below" PT; or the official policy for the command was that E5 and below are required to attend, and it's optional for E6 and above; I'd have had absolutely NO gripe, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Just stop calling things "all hands" when it's really not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's one of the things that have always pissed me off. I remember when I was a Second Class on shore duty, and there was "all hands" PT on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. E6 and above never showed up.

Now, here's the thing: If it was called "E5 and below" PT; or the official policy for the command was that E5 and below are required to attend, and it's optional for E6 and above; I'd have had absolutely NO gripe, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Just stop calling things "all hands" when it's really not.
    No, All Hands means everyone. That the E6 and below didn't show is a failure of leadership. The phrase isn't incorrect, it's simply not being enforced.
    Disclaimer: All of the above statements may/may not be based on true events. Your comprehension will vary, based upon literacy, basic understanding of the English language, and most recent bowel movement (or lack thereof). No resemblance to any persons living, dead, undead or co-existing in a parallel universe is intended.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forcedj View Post

Originally Posted by Rusty Jones

"There are divers working over the side. Do not throw anything over the side..."
    Does this mean that when the divers secure, that we CAN throw things over the side?

Mooring lines, water, emergency jettison for things burning, ashes for burial at sea (people do work OTS underway), etc.

Dan
    If there are divers working over the side, as announced over the 1MC, and anything is thrown over the side, into the water, that is an automatic Art. 15...PERIOD.

As far as people working over the side while underway...another NO-GO! At least when I was active duty as a deck seaman and a BM3 between 1976-1984.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDave View Post
    No, All Hands means everyone. That the E6 and below didn't show is a failure of leadership. The phrase isn't incorrect, it's simply not being enforced.
    Actually, the phrase refers to "Deck Hands", which was the original Enlisted Rating which proliferated into all of today's Ratings.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:kiss

Gotta love it when a ground pounder schools swabbies on nautical terminology.

Dan
    CTOC(AW), USN, Retired

Recruit Training Command (Company 50), Orlando, FL Dec 1981-Jan 1982; CTO "A" and "C" schools NTTC Corry Station, Pensacola, FL Feb-Oct 1982; USS Saratoga (CV-60) 1982-1985; USS Forrestal (CV-59) 1985-1988; ONI Det Naval War College, Newport, RI 1988-1991; NAVSECGRUACT Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal 1991-1992; NAVSECGRUACT Rota, Spain 1992-1995; National Security Agency, Fort Meade, MD 1995-1998; USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) 1998-2001.