Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: RHIP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: RHIP

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    Desert Storm, there were a few air to air battles. Jan 17 through 15 Jan there were several air to air engagements. Take a gander.
    40 in desert storm and 5 in Alllied Force

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Sorry for misspeaking, I was thinking of dogfights, guns blazing, pulling Gs, etc. I think the last US dogfight (F-4) with an enemy a/c was towards the end of Vietnam. Not taking anything away from our a/c or aircrews but it has been a long time that we've engaged in that kind of warfare.
    You're continuing to misspeak There were within visual range "dogfights" in WW Desert Storm.

Great site

http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/avc.asp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks all for the air-to-air education. I'll be the first to admit, that is not my strongpoint when it comes to AF history (as weird as that sounds). I've always been more into the stories of the people rather than the weapons.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Thanks all for the air-to-air education. I'll be the first to admit, that is not my strongpoint when it comes to AF history (as weird as that sounds). I've always been more into the stories of the people rather than the weapons.
    You know there are people in those weapons systems right and that the weapons systems require inputs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    You know there are people in those weapons systems right and that the weapons systems require inputs.
    Not if they become self aware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    You're continuing to misspeak There were within visual range "dogfights" in WW Desert Storm.

Great site

http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/avc.asp
    Ah.....he got you on this one... If you notice, in his last post, he specified the F-4 so yeah, the last aerial vicotory by an F-4 was Jan 8th 1973... All the ones in the Gulf War were F-15/A-10/F-16....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Ah.....he got you on this one... If you notice, in his last post, he specified the F-4 so yeah, the last aerial vicotory by an F-4 was Jan 8th 1973... All the ones in the Gulf War were F-15/A-10/F-16....
    I stand by my statement your honor. The parentheses merely state the type of aircraft in relation to the last "dog fight". I move for a mistrial.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Actually most Vietnam era F-4s didn't have cannon and only took missile shots.

Even though there were plenty of opportunities for gun kills in air-to-air engagements very few occurred due to this.

Most where missile shots and not your traditional close in dogfight with pilots calling Fox Three.

This began to change towards the end of the war when the F-4s were rearmed with 20mm cannon.