Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Info on Travis AFB& KC-10 FE's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Looking For Info on Travis AFB& KC-10 FE's

I'm going to be graduating BFE (Basic Flight Engineer) tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I got KC-10's as my assignment at Travis AFB. I'm kind of surprised I got KC 10's seeing as to how they were my 6th choice...not that I mind. I heard a lot of really good stuff about KC-10's but was kind of hoping to be put on C-130s since I was a crew chief on them at Kirtland. I will hit my 5 year mark of being in the AF in September and have only been on 1 TDY and have never deployed, lol. I dont know what it will be like to PCS all the way from Kirtland to Travis so any information anyone could provide on PCS'ing would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any information anyone can provide about what its like to be stationed at Travis would be great. Any Maintainers or FE's out there on the KC-10's? What is the area around the base like? Where is the nicer part of town and the nicer places to live? Any KC-10's FE's that would like to divulge any Info on KC-10 IQT and to a new FE in general, would be Great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looking For Info on Travis AFB& KC-10 FE's

I started my AF career at Kirtland (130 Crew Chief), was there for just over a year '98-'99 before going to Ramstein, than I spent 6 years at Travis. I PCSed out of there last September.

Travis
    If you are wanting to live off base, look at Vacaville for an apartment, or Dixon, Davis, Winters, or Sacramento. Each of those places gets farther away. If you want to live in Fairfield look on the other side of 80. I spent 4 years Commuting from Sacramento. Was about an hour each way. If you are looking to buy a house, Sac has some good deals last I heard. The market is still pretty messed up being California and all.

I lived on base for two years and it was ok till the privatization took over. I had nothing but bad experiances with them. If my landlord in Sac hadnt sold his house I wouldnt have moved on base. It was nice for the kids, but the BS meter was off the charts. When I was trying to outprocess everytime I went in there office, there was a different chief or shirt talking to them on behalf of a troop.

I loved living in Sacramento. If you can afford the gas, I would suggest it. I heard some people say they liked living in Winters.
    Travis is a great location if you are not trying to get back to the east coast for a visit. It is right between Sacramento and San Fransisco. If you are flying in I suggest Sacramento as the airport is easier to get around and the drive to Travis is usually smoother. Reno is a few hours down the road, and Tahoe is great for Skiing/Snow Boarding.

KC10s
    I know one Pro-Super, a Boom, and one FE that just cross trained in. They seem like really easy planes to work on. (never have so cant say for sure) Cant say much on them.

I am not the most knowledgeable person out there and some one may disagree with me on some point but this is a short but wordy post on some things. I can go on for days. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, Thanks for the Info. So are you currently a C-130 CC or are you doing something else? My graduation went pretty well, I will be leaving for Kirtland tomorrow. I have SERE on the 31 of August through mid/late september, I'm still waiting on my IQT dates. Sacramento sounds really tempting, I love the city life. The only thing I am not looking forward to would be the traffic back home after work, did you ever have any problems with that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am a C-5 C-17 Crew Cheif now, out in the en-route system.

As far as traffic, it takes 45 to an hour to get home/work most days. Depending on where you live it can be more or less, plus if you are not on a regular shift than you can get around it most of the time. I had one major accident when I was commuting, some one was reading and seemed surprised when she looked up and saw traffic in front of her, she came into my lane. I ended up off the freeway up against a tree, and she ended up upside down on the frontage road.

Other than that if you avoid the causeway by taking the 113 to the 5 you can by pass most traffic (and you can stop in woodland for Sonic, the only one in a two to three hour radius) if you live on the north side of Sac. I know several people that live in the Natomas area.

Took me about two weeks to get used the commute, and gave me plenty of time to listen to the PDG for testing purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

welcome to the KC10 FE world! I finished BFE about a year ago and just got mission qualified, and deployed right away. I am out of McGuire, but out here with a bunch of Travis crews. You will love the -10, and fly a lot of cool places, especially being at Travis you guys get the trips out West more Definately a good plane to be an FE on, I think you'll enjoy it. Don't get injured at SERE, one of my buddies hurt is knee while out hiking in the mountains, luckily they are letting him go through SERE at a later date.

GForce

Yo BigBaze, whats going on, Im new to the fourms but Ive been reading about your success thru out the whole retraining process, not tryin to jack the guys thread but do you know anything about BOP in conjunction with retraining? I just got my flight physical done last week and Im waiting for the results to get back, thing is in 2 weeks Ill be deployin so I wont be able to submit my package until ive already left, and I was told that if I wanted to apply for both that I needed to submit my BOP app with my retraining package? if you have any input Id appreciate it, Im tryin to get out of Oklahoma, and AWACS is not what I want

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just dont have to have surgery on anything while at Travis and your golden

???

That is just wrong...funny, but wrong, even though that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big Baze, how long did it take you to go through IQT & MQT? What was the most challenging part of it all? Did you have any difficulty with anything? Any words of advice you could give me for IQT and MQT? Do you live near the Base or in Sacramento or San Francisco? My RNLTD is 31 January but I requested to leave around early-mid November. I'm really looking forward to it, but SERE first...

The most challenging part of KC-10 school is not killing yourself during IQT do to the extreme amount of boringness. The first 2 months are just power points and lectures. The sims are kinda cool, but it doesn't really get fun until you start FTU.