Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 128

Thread: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    These are some notes from the Sergeant Major of the Army's Board of Directors meeting that took place 9-11 January 2012. They are not yet in effect but will be published and clarified in an upcoming update to AR 670-1.

    Some of these are going to cause quite an uproar. I'm dying to hear comments on these!

    -females may wear cosmetics conservatively, but can only wear nail polish in service, mess or dress uniforms.
    -Females fingernail length will not exceed ¼ in, no fake nails, add-ons, or extensions will be authorized.
    -The new regulation will specify civilian clothes standards both on and off duty and both on and off post.
    I am soooooooooooo glad I'm done with the Army. And OMG you have GOT to be kidding me about the civilian attire OFF POST specifiations! I think this should help w/the downsizing as anyone w/a modicum of individuality should be beating the doors down trying to get the hell out if all this is strictly enforced! Hmmmmm.....maybe that's the plan......

  2. #22
    Senior Member MisterBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Fighting for your freedoms!
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by CORNELIUSSEON View Post
    1. .
    2. Sideburns will not extend below the top of the ear. This was the case when I first joined, and it kept several Post Barber Shops in full service.
    So what year was this? When did AR670-1 change for all those black power Afros (and wearing doorags to pack their hair before drill) that I saw from the seventies to early 80s? Even the white soldiers with long hair.

    http://www.12sided.com/blog/tag/us-army/

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Elswhere
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    The sideburns are going the way of the mustache. The only people I have seen master the impossible mustache is old Armor guys they had it down.

    As far as shaving off duty I got used to that when I was at Benning it gets a little weird down there. They still had courtesy patrols too. That was fun.

    Civilian clothes off duty. If they want us in a "uniform" off duty they better pony up the money to issue it or a clothing allowance. Good luck making Joe buy those cool guy short sleeve golf shirts with unit logos that lots of senior leaders like to wear off duty.

  4. #24
    Senior Member CORNELIUSSEON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bordentown, NJ
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBen View Post
    So what year was this? When did AR670-1 change for all those black power Afros (and wearing doorags to pack their hair before drill) that I saw from the seventies to early 80s? Even the white soldiers with long hair.

    http://www.12sided.com/blog/tag/us-army/
    I joined in 1967, and it changed before 1974, when I moved to the New York Army National Guard. Just to let you know, I didn't approve of the change. I accommodated the shaving issue by using Magic Shave Depilatory, which kept my face in compliance.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

    H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

  5. #25
    Senior Member CORNELIUSSEON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bordentown, NJ
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by CON50582 View Post
    The sideburns are going the way of the mustache. The only people I have seen master the impossible mustache is old Armor guys they had it down.

    As far as shaving off duty I got used to that when I was at Benning it gets a little weird down there. They still had courtesy patrols too. That was fun.

    Civilian clothes off duty. If they want us in a "uniform" off duty they better pony up the money to issue it or a clothing allowance. Good luck making Joe buy those cool guy short sleeve golf shirts with unit logos that lots of senior leaders like to wear off duty.
    We Retirees are the inspiration for those shirts. You can spot us on Post at a glance. More than half of the people you see with those shirts are Retirees, although we tend to wear our Retiree Hat with the shirt.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

    H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by CORNELIUSSEON View Post
    We Retirees are the inspiration for those shirts. You can spot us on Post at a glance. More than half of the people you see with those shirts are Retirees, although we tend to wear our Retiree Hat with the shirt.
    I'd be careful about painting with too broad a brush here. Neither preference makes an individual better or worse than anyone else, but some of us don't even own, much less wear such items.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadencernr View Post
    Wow, really? Not all of us are crying about this. It needs to be done.

    I got this same email yesterday and agree with most of the changes. I do think some of it is over the top, but hey, roll with the punches and drive on. The Army needs some big changes. Soldiers have gotten soft and need to be brought back to reality.
    The mentality that "we put these rules on you, because you're in the military and your life is SUPPOSED to suck" belongs in the Marine Corps.

  8. #28
    Senior Member CORNELIUSSEON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bordentown, NJ
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by SENDBILLMONEY View Post
    I'd be careful about painting with too broad a brush here. Neither preference makes an individual better or worse than anyone else, but some of us don't even own, much less wear such items.
    My brush is fine pointed, actually, since I live 8 Miles from JB-MDL, where I do most of my food shopping, and attend the annual Retiree Seminar. I also have a lot of time in various parts of New Jersey and New York, where the Veterans and Retirees are easy to point out by what they wear. Incidentally, I was last on base on January 28th, and the persons I saw in both the PX and Commissary who were there in Camouflage were from accross the military spectrum, from Army and Air Force to Navy and Marines, and they were conspicuous by their numbers.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

    H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At your mom's house
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadencernr View Post
    Wow, really? Not all of us are crying about this. It needs to be done.

    I got this same email yesterday and agree with most of the changes. I do think some of it is over the top, but hey, roll with the punches and drive on. The Army needs some big changes. Soldiers have gotten soft and need to be brought back to reality.
    Yes, some DO make sense. But there's a difference between telling you what you CAN'T wear off duty (such as clothing with profanity or disrespectful of the government/POTUS/military) and what you can ONLY wear. That is ridiculous, and there isn't anything you can tell me that would make me change my mind on that. We already give up many freedoms that most Americans get because we serve in the military. Telling me I have to wear a polo shirt and can't wear a t-shirt supporting my favorite sports team when I'm off duty is nothing short of stupid. If you have to dictate to that level of detail, then that means you do not trust your troops to make their own intelligent decisions, and I don't want to work for a military that micromanages every aspect of my life.

  10. #30
    Senior Member CORNELIUSSEON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bordentown, NJ
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upcoming changes to AR 670-1

    Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    Yes, some DO make sense. But there's a difference between telling you what you CAN'T wear off duty (such as clothing with profanity or disrespectful of the government/POTUS/military) and what you can ONLY wear. That is ridiculous, and there isn't anything you can tell me that would make me change my mind on that. We already give up many freedoms that most Americans get because we serve in the military. Telling me I have to wear a polo shirt and can't wear a t-shirt supporting my favorite sports team when I'm off duty is nothing short of stupid. If you have to dictate to that level of detail, then that means you do not trust your troops to make their own intelligent decisions, and I don't want to work for a military that micromanages every aspect of my life.


    This brings to mind my sainted Basic Training Drill Sergeant, SSG William L. Carr, who was known to reply to someone like you: “When we want you to make a decision, we’ll issue you one and teach you how to use it! Until then, stand at attention, and button your lip!”

    It seems that you are mistaking the Peacetime Military for the Wartime Military. The US Military almost always loosens the reins when it goes off to war because it knows that Garrison rules never work very well out in Combat Zones. What you experienced during these war years was the Wartime Military, and what is pinching your butt now is the Peacetime Military. If you cannot live within the rules that govern Peacetime Garrison life, you certainly should head out the door before they push you out. However, I do recommend that you transfer to the National Guard and sample that and see if that is to your liking, because Garrison Life in the Guard is much lighter than it is in the Regular Military.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

    H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •