Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I support the peeing Marines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I support the peeing Marines

I love all the Monday-morning QB'ing going on at the Pentagon and State Dept (why is Sec Clinton commenting?) over the peeing Marines.

How can we expect these killers to behave normally when they are surrounded by insanity? Structure drives behavior, when a human is put into a chaotic structure, we should expect them to act differently. Zimbardo knew this and so did Dr. Livingstone. Why does this surprise us? We should expect it and do our best to correct it, but not crucify.

We as a nation threw young troops under the bus with Abu Gharib and now we're doing it again.

All of D.C. is in line, pounding their chests, looking for a Marine to fry. How about somebody supporting them? How about a General stand up and explain what adrenaline does to one's decision making process?

Read Charlie Wilson's War and learn what the Taliban did to their male Russian captives--this gives some context and perhaps explains why the Taliban aren't too troubled by this story.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I'll pass no judgement on how someone behaves in a combat zone, especially after experiencing combat. Only in Hollywood can someone participate in a firefight and then go run a Boy Scout meeting. Only in Hollywood and D.C. ...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I support the peeing Marines

It's a shitty situation.

1) This is a cross-cultural conflict, which means both sides are operating under a different set of rules and values, so there's no camaraderie or respect for the opponent. The warm fuzzy stuff that we've seen in certain other wars (Like cease-fires for Christmas, or enemy medics working side by side), just doesn't happen. Because we see them not as fellow humans, but as agents of Satan, and vica versa.

2) The infamous ROE's are necessary - we can't afford to be pissing everyone off with indiscriminate killing, both on the local level (every American atrocity is a recruiting tool for the insurgents), and on the international level (again, every atrocity that hits the air waves will attract new recruits, weapons, money, and general public support for the insurgents) - but the ROE, however imortant strategically, does get people killed, so aren't exactly popular.

So you got the Idaho farm boys in a strange land with a foreign language filled with people who hate them, and the ROE keeps them from killing everything in sight... that's going to lead to a lot of stress and bad feelings, which leads to incidents like this. Its a nasty dilemna.

The only way to prevent things like this is to not fight the war in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems the American public is not so upset about it. It's a war and things happen in war.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...inategate.html
    Zach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it was dumb to put it on the internet. Other than that, I have No issue with it. They have done far worse to us and are trying like crazy to kill us daily. They won't face us. Instead they hide and plant bombs/shoot rockets. Fuck them. I've seen the young kids leaving here missing limbs and severely wounded, or even worse in a box.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I love how one news channel had Jessica Lynch on as a consultant in such matters!
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    I love how one news channel had Jessica Lynch on as a consultant in such matters!
    She kinda is an expert on such matters, from personal experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lynch is far from an expert on this matter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do we have a rule against peeing on someone? What if the corpses were on fire and we had no other way to put it out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raider8169 View Post
    Do we have a rule against peeing on someone? What if the corpses were on fire and we had no other way to put it out?

That reminds me of a time at PTA on the Big Island and Marines having to put out some fires.
    The state tends to expand in proportion to its means of existence and to live beyond its means, and these are, in the last analysis, nothing but the substance of the people. Woe to the people that cannot limit the sphere of action of the state! Freedom, private enterprise, wealth, happiness, independence, personal dignity, all vanish. - Frederic Bastiat

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellJD1969 View Post
    That reminds me of a time at PTA on the Big Island and Marines having to put out some fires.

PTA was the shit. It was like being TDY with out the hassle of flying 5 1/2 hours.