Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Certificate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Retirement Certificate

Ive seen it touched on here before but I thought I'd start a new thread in case anyone else was interested.

Is there a way to get a previous living President's signature on a retirement certificate? Politics aside, I'd like a sig of H.W. Bush since he was prez when I joined. Now, I have asked my MPF and was told no, it has to be the current prez. Were they just being lazy in their answer or is there really no way to get a different signature? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Retirement Certificate

Try contacting his office directly. I remember doing something similar for a guy after Reagan left office.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I"ve known of people getting letters from former Presidents, but never heard of the retirement certificate being signed by a former.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I could totally be talking out my ass here, because I am just making a conjecture (just had to add that caveat) ... but does a former President even have the command authority to actually retire anyone at all? They are no longer Commander in Chief, so my guess is they no longer have the legal authority to sign a retirement order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have read that a retired Officer can re-enlist an Airman so why couldn't a former President sign a retirement certificate?
    Strive for perfection and excellence will be tolerated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    Ive seen it touched on here before but I thought I'd start a new thread in case anyone else was interested.

Is there a way to get a previous living President's signature on a retirement certificate? Politics aside, I'd like a sig of H.W. Bush since he was prez when I joined. Now, I have asked my MPF and was told no, it has to be the current prez. Were they just being lazy in their answer or is there really no way to get a different signature? Thanks
    I doubt you'll get any former president to sign a retirement certificate (an official government document) invoking presidential/commander-in-chief authority he no longer has. Since you mentioned GHWB, you might want to write him at the following address and request a letter commemorating your retirement:

Office of George H.W. Bush
    P.O. Box 79798
    Houston TX 77279-9798

BTW, this is completely unlike having a retired officer administer the enlistment or commissioning oaths. An officer on the retired list is still an officer, just one in retired status. A former president receives some federal benefits under the Former Presidents Act and is accorded many courtesies according to protocol, but retains no military authority.

Tak

I suggest checking with your DAPS people, see if they kept older ones with former pres. Mock certs are authorized. We always had extra in graphics when new Csaf etc certs came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtS View Post
    I could totally be talking out my ass here, because I am just making a conjecture (just had to add that caveat) ... but does a former President even have the command authority to actually retire anyone at all? They are no longer Commander in Chief, so my guess is they no longer have the legal authority to sign a retirement order.
    You're probably not talking out of your ass. The MPF guy forwarded me the e-mail of where he got his answer. It was from the Pentagon (forget the office), so former Presidents not having command authority makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Request a flag that was flown over the nations capital form a member of congress, I did that they have an online process, of course you have to pay for the flag but it's bigger than the one retirement services will hand you when you out-process during that anti-climatic period of your life and the new chapter begins.

Thanks for your service, that may sound kind of cheesy now but in a few years you'll know what I'm talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh. My retirement certificate was signed by BHO. Well...the rubber stamp used to sign it matched his signature, anyway. I had a very good CSS, so I also ended up with a letter from every living president that I served under. Tragically, I could not get Reagan.