Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Truth In This?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Any Truth In This?

I wonder why he goes by another name on FB... Kenui Bull Balutski? Is that Hawaiian for Full of Bull Balutski? Just seems odd to me....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo FE View Post
    MKopack was a MX troop on F-16's...not a pilot.

And you totally missed the point he was making, but I'm sure he can explain it to you better than I can.
    Thanks Mambo.

The point I was trying to make was about the "Everyone's a Warrior" image that the Air Force has tried to promote. I simply don't buy it.

I was a crew chief on F-16's, not a pilot in any sense. I wore a helmet, and carried an M16 with 120 rounds in my pockets and a speedhandle over my shoulder in the Gulf, and I was as dedicated and as committed as anyone. Was it an important job? Sure, I like to think so, but was I really a "Warrior"?

No I wasn't. In the end I was one of the guys shoveling the manure out of the horse shed. I was a mechanic. Had I been called on to be a warrior I'd have been ready and would have given it my best shot, but it just wasn'tmy role in the "big picture". But is that a bad thing? Of course not, without all of the people - the majority of people - who fill support roles, there is no battle for anyone to win.

There are few AFSC's where if the job didn't get done that the mission wouldn't eventually grind to a halt, and all of those serving in those positions deserve every bit of respect. Each and every one of you stood up and chose to serve and should be proud as hell of that decision no matter what you do. But at the same time there are members of our Air Force who go "beyond the wire" each day - people who serve, sometimes even in support roles, in positions where there is a real, ever present chance, that they may not be home that night - these are the people I tend to think of as "Warriors".

Tactical Controllers? Yes. Senior NCO inspecting yards for grass height in base housing? No. EOD? Yes. Rec Center snack bar guy? No. Security Police (Sorry, Security Forces, I'm old) doing convoy duty, or patrols in combat areas outside the gate, or K9's sniffing for bombs? Yes. Finance? No. (There are a hundred others I could add in here... and there are probably even exceptions to these ones.)

And finally - pilots and flightcrew? Yes. In my time on the flightline I bled a little a couple of times (and even more once or twice), was exposed to hydrazine a couple of times and my ears and knees don't work quite as well as they did. It came with the job. But I also have a lot of friends, way too many in fact, some of whom I've strapped into aircraft and saluted on the way out of chocks, only to have an expediter truck drive up an hour later with the driver shaking his head saying that they were gone. Doesn't matter if they were in a fighter, transport or bomber, on an operational mission or in training that feeling in the pit of your stomach is the same.

With risks come rewards, and for myself, I have no problem with recognizing those who take those risks each day as "Warriors" over the rest of us. Not better, but without a doubt different.

(Sorry everyone for wandering off topic here, after this post, I'll stop... - MK)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettGTO View Post
    Al Udeid AB is what I thought of first when I read this. This is some dumb shit that would ooze out of that place. Why can't they just let a dying dog die? No one cares about the creed and people have slaughtered the AF song by being clapping in it ALL THE F'N TIME

Does this guy know that nothing comes after E-9? Also, as a Command Chief don't you have other, more pressing stuff to do around the wing than chase down airmen and have them recite things?
    Reciting the CREED along with tucking in a PT shirt....things that are not helping accomplish the mission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evonyman09 View Post
    tell me again why this thread turned into a dick measuring contest?
    Because folks have their BLUE colored sunshades on pretending to be high speed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKopack View Post
    And everyone is just as much of a Warrior as well? Was the stable boy who shoveled manure out of the shed as much of a warrior as the knight who rode the horse into battle?
    "For want of a nail, the shoe was lost; For want of the shoe, the horse was lost; For want of the horse, the rider was lost; For want of the rider, the battle was lost; For want of the battle, the kingdom was lost; And all for the want of a nail." WS Richard III
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

With risks come rewards, and for myself, I have no problem with recognizing those who take those risks each day as "Warriors" over the rest of us. Not better, but without a doubt different.
    +1 26+ yrs in the military and I would never consider myself a warrior. Nor would I consider that an insult. I am also not a med tech, not an auto mechanic and not a chef :-) (I am, apparently, a sentry and avenger, though)

I am what I am ~ Popeye

If the base gets overrun, I'd be more than happy to pick up a rifle and give it my best shot...played around in the DFPs during exercises in Korea! During exercises in Edwards we were short of training weapons so actually went out with wooden rifles and shouted "Bang, Bang" when we encountered OPFOR, I kid you not.

I probably wouldn't be very good at it, though. If the AF wants me to be good at ground combat and a warrior, they should've probably trained me at it. Hell, until I read the OP Balutski, I didn't even know what a 5MT was. All of my combined combat training could probably be matched in 15 minutes with a decent wikipedia search.

I qualified on the M-16 probably less than 10 times in 26 years...and the M9 once. My civilian wife has more firearms experience than I do (which doesn't make her military). But then again, most SF, Infantry, TACPs, PJs, etc. can't do what I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is not meant to excuse anything this E-9 tool did, but seems he may have known something when he wrote this:

Over the course of the next few months all eyes will be on this wing. Many high-level officials will be coming here to put eyes on our efforts. Senators, Congressmen, Service Secretaries, Senior COCOM leaders, and maybe even higher.

Kuwait may host U.S. Iraq backup force
    By Rebecca Santana and Robert Burns - The Associated Press
    Posted : Thursday Sep 8, 2011 17:33:57 EDT

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is considering staging American troops in Kuwait next year as a backup or rotational training force for Iraq, after the Pentagon completes the scheduled withdrawal of its current 45,000-strong force from Iraq in December, U.S. officials said.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...-force-090811/

Thanks Mambo.

The point I was trying to make was about the "Everyone's a Warrior" image that the Air Force has tried to promote. I simply don't buy it.

I was a crew chief on F-16's, not a pilot in any sense. I wore a helmet, and carried an M16 with 120 rounds in my pockets and a speedhandle over my shoulder in the Gulf, and I was as dedicated and as committed as anyone. Was it an important job? Sure, I like to think so, but was I really a "Warrior"?

No I wasn't. In the end I was one of the guys shoveling the manure out of the horse shed. I was a mechanic. Had I been called on to be a warrior I'd have been ready and would have given it my best shot, but it just wasn'tmy role in the "big picture". But is that a bad thing? Of course not, without all of the people - the majority of people - who fill support roles, there is no battle for anyone to win.

There are few AFSC's where if the job didn't get done that the mission wouldn't eventually grind to a halt, and all of those serving in those positions deserve every bit of respect. Each and every one of you stood up and chose to serve and should be proud as hell of that decision no matter what you do. But at the same time there are members of our Air Force who go "beyond the wire" each day - people who serve, sometimes even in support roles, in positions where there is a real, ever present chance, that they may not be home that night - these are the people I tend to think of as "Warriors".

Tactical Controllers? Yes. Senior NCO inspecting yards for grass height in base housing? No. EOD? Yes. Rec Center snack bar guy? No. Security Police (Sorry, Security Forces, I'm old) doing convoy duty, or patrols in combat areas outside the gate, or K9's sniffing for bombs? Yes. Finance? No. (There are a hundred others I could add in here... and there are probably even exceptions to these ones.)

And finally - pilots and flightcrew? Yes. In my time on the flightline I bled a little a couple of times (and even more once or twice), was exposed to hydrazine a couple of times and my ears and knees don't work quite as well as they did. It came with the job. But I also have a lot of friends, way too many in fact, some of whom I've strapped into aircraft and saluted on the way out of chocks, only to have an expediter truck drive up an hour later with the driver shaking his head saying that they were gone. Doesn't matter if they were in a fighter, transport or bomber, on an operational mission or in training that feeling in the pit of your stomach is the same.

(Sorry everyone for wandering off topic here, after this post, I'll stop... - MK)
    I don't think anyone not fighting to the death with their bare hands is a true warrior. Maybe edged weapons, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefB View Post
    "For want of a nail, the shoe was lost; For want of the shoe, the horse was lost; For want of the horse, the rider was lost; For want of the rider, the battle was lost; For want of the battle, the kingdom was lost; And all for the want of a nail." WS Richard III
    I think we found an applicable AF creed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am wondering if anyone has the ORIGINAL email. The OP has what I presume to be the second and somewhere in here is the third (post Chaplain). There is also the one about standards but where is the original Creed/song email?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings