Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Army Suicide Rate Hits New High

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Army Suicide Rate Hits New High

Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    Let's not turn this into a service vs. service dispute and instead figure out if we can pinpoint any common threads between suicides and how to stem the rise.

I'm personally at a loss because other than the mandatory suicide prevention training we get, I have no training on identifying those most at risk. Sure, we have the stats, but something those stats don't always tell us is what's going on in the person's life that might trigger suicidal thoughts or actions.
    Wasn't trying to turn anything into service vs service - but he was wrong about stereotyping the entire Army like that. Every service has shitty leaders I bet.

Sometimes you can't tell the signs until it's too late - and it seems most people don't tell anyone that they're going to do it. It's always after the fact people say they should have seen the signs but hindsight is always 20/20. I guess you just have to know your battle buddies, soldiers and even those higher in rank than you. If something even seems the slightest bit off, you should talk (general you).

I mean, the guy in my unit that killed himself, I never saw it coming. He was a little - slow but he was a very nice guy, always cheery and even when people made fun of him, he just seemed to laugh it off. But I never knew he had other issues that came before the Army. He wasn't in my section so I didn't work around him a lot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candycane3482 View Post
    It's always after the fact people say they should have seen the signs but hindsight is always 20/20.
    I agree that hindsight is 20/20 on these. I've been close to a couple of suicides...and the after investigation always comes up with some signals the guy was giving off that could've been interpreted as suicidal...and then they say "the supervisors/friends could have prevented this"

...OTOH, nearly everyone gives of something that could later be interpreted as a suicidal sign...if we sent all those folks off, then we would all be at mental health...

I dunno...this is one issue that I wish I had an answer for, but have no clue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I agree that hindsight is 20/20 on these. I've been close to a couple of suicides...and the after investigation always comes up with some signals the guy was giving off that could've been interpreted as suicidal...and then they say "the supervisors/friends could have prevented this"

...OTOH, nearly everyone gives of something that could later be interpreted as a suicidal sign...if we sent all those folks off, then we would all be at mental health...

I dunno...this is one issue that I wish I had an answer for, but have no clue
    I'm not saying send everyone to mental health because they're depressed or down - but if you notice someone is feeling down, sad, depressed, etc just talking to them might be the thing that stops them from continuing down that dark path that could lead to suicide. I mean everyone has down days. Everyone gets down on their luck once in awhile and might feel hopeless, or the world is against them, but if they have someone in their life to talk to it could be the thing that picks them up or helps them see it's not hopeless.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for posting!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candycane3482 View Post
    Wasn't trying to turn anything into service vs service - but he was wrong about stereotyping the entire Army like that. Every service has shitty leaders I bet.
    Concur.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's like this in the private sector as well in many locales. I lived in Nebraska in the early-mid 90s and worked out of temp agencies. The great bulk of the companies they sent me to treated the people in a sub-standard manner. The jobs themselves are usually okay, it is management, more often than not, that usually ruins the quality of the working experience.

One of the things that has seriously eroded morale IMHO is the mixing of gay, lesbian and women into the lower ranks. They should be kept in separate units for morale reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_DannyJ View Post
    After working with the Army in a joint environment, I can tell you they SH*T on their people really bad. Seriously. It's like a game to see who can stress someone out the most. This kind of ridiculous behavior leaves very little question in my mind to what the cause "might" be. It's a culture of disrespect, one-up-manship, and masocism.
    Last edited by ACME_MAN; 05-13-2019 at 08:58 PM.