Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MilitaryTimes.com Community Editor CommunityEditor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Aug 5, 2011 14:37:57 EDT

It is official: Nine-month deployments begin January, and the change will be fully implemented by April. The new policy does not affect soldiers who deploy prior to year’s end.

The new rules, announced Friday by Secretary of the Army John McHugh, apply to units at the division-level and below. Corps-level deployments will stay at 12 months “due to their oversight for the entire operation,” though the goal is to get them to nine months, said Army spokesman Lt. Col. Craig Ratcliff.

Augmentees to a Joint Task Force will remain on a 12-month deployment, due to the nature of those missions. Deployments for high-demand, low-density units and individual deployers will also remain at one year, as cutting their tours would require more people in those skill than currently exist.

The change applies to ... Read the rest of the story here.

---------------------------------------------------
    Less time in theater may equate to less time at home, at least at the onset. Is it worth it, in your opinion to have less time in theater if you're going to spend less time at home? How will force react to this, what are your reactions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

It seems like for most of us the only thing that has changed is less down time and no more non-chargeable leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back in the day, serving 12 months in Viet Nam or Korea would constitute completion of a short tour. But it only allowed you to remain in CONUS for 12 months, sometimes shorter...and sometimes longer. For example, when I completed my 3rd tour in Germany, I was assigned to Eustis for 30 months, and then went to Korea. After Korea, I was assigned to Hood for 24 months and then went to Bosnia. I wonder if the Army will allow a 9 month deployment to constitute completion of a short tour?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    Back in the day, serving 12 months in Viet Nam or Korea would constitute completion of a short tour. But it only allowed you to remain in CONUS for 12 months, sometimes shorter...and sometimes longer. For example, when I completed my 3rd tour in Germany, I was assigned to Eustis for 30 months, and then went to Korea. After Korea, I was assigned to Hood for 24 months and then went to Bosnia. I wonder if the Army will allow a 9 month deployment to constitute completion of a short tour?
    Prior to the time we engaged in the “War in Vietnam” a MAAG Tour was 24 Months, and that was because Vietnam was always an Unaccompanied Tour. Japan was 36 Months Accompanied.

Once the war started, it started as an 18 Month Tour, but the Army quickly shortened it to 12 Months once the Draft was in full swing. It never was a solid 12 Months – there were early DEROS dates if your DEROS coincided with the end of the year in many cases. The Marines kept the 18 Month tour until the end, but that was flexible as well. The Army kept Vietnam at 12 Months until the wind down started, and then stopped sending new troops to prevent turn-around tours where moves to other locations to complete full tours might be required.

The 12 Month dwell time between Nam Tours required a firm “NO” if the attempt was made to send you back before the full dwell had expired. I was back less than 60 days when I was presented with deployment orders to go back to the unit I had just DEROSed from at the end of 1968, and I made that point. The orders were withdrawn, and I went to Okinawa for 90 Days to help prepare the port for the Japanese take over. Once back, I deployed to Germany in 1971, and came home in 1973 because I was unaccompanied. By then, the Drawdown was in full swing, so I transferred to the National Guard for the remainder of my time. I looked at how people – in effect – commuted between CONUS and Germany; CONUS and Korea; CONUS and Japan, and other such cycles.

You did 3 tours in Germany before the commutation cycle was broken. Once the wars are done, the commutation cycle will resume, but the length will most likely lengthen because of the smaller budget.
    [FONT=arial black]SSG Cornelius Seon, USA (Retired)
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][B][FONT=arial black]We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.L. Mencken
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Short tour credit doesn't really mean too much these days, I'm glad to see this 9 month gesture.... that obviously doesn't include the two month train up but at least it's a sign of good news. With all the budget issues it may not last too long though but it's still good to see something positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the Army will deploy for 9 months and not get R&R, yet the Air Force will still do their 6 month deployments and get R&R? Sounds fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JStatus330 View Post
    So the Army will deploy for 9 months and not get R&R, yet the Air Force will still do their 6 month deployments and get R&R? Sounds fair.
    Well I'd rather do 9 months than 12 or 15 honestly. 9 months makes more sense than 12-15. Who cares what the Air Force does? They have a different operational requirement than the Army does.

It'll be better when it's down to no deployments for the majority of the military. Plus it's supposed to end up with 2 years dwell time. But we'll see what happens by the end of this year with Iraq and after 2014 with Afghanistan. I think we should leave Afghanistan now because we accomplished what we went there for (bin Laden) so don't much see the need to stay. And Iraq we definitely need to stay on track with the withdrawal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candycane3482 View Post
    Well I'd rather do 9 months than 12 or 15 honestly. 9 months makes more sense than 12-15. Who cares what the Air Force does? They have a different operational requirement than the Army does.

It'll be better when it's down to no deployments for the majority of the military. Plus it's supposed to end up with 2 years dwell time. But we'll see what happens by the end of this year with Iraq and after 2014 with Afghanistan. I think we should leave Afghanistan now because we accomplished what we went there for (bin Laden) so don't much see the need to stay. And Iraq we definitely need to stay on track with the withdrawal.
    It is not like we do not care; it is about equality. And if they are allowed R&R based on 6 months deployment then it should be the same for the Army. We are not talking five-finger sneakers here. But your response, you make it sound that their operational requirement demands more work so they are deserving of R&R and the US Army isnt. I say at least give a 4-day R&R to soldiers. Everyone needs a little time with a LBFM to blow some steam.

I agree with the rest of your post. Take a different posture by pulling back to Kuwait and keep forces sustained in Germany with new units in Turkey because if the shit hits the fan again in the Middle East, we are much closer to react.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBen View Post
    It is not like we do not care; it is about equality. And if they are allowed R&R based on 6 months deployment then it should be the same for the Army. We are not talking five-finger sneakers here. But your response, you make it sound that their operational requirement demands more work so they are deserving of R&R and the US Army isnt. I say at least give a 4-day R&R to soldiers. Everyone needs a little time with a LBFM to blow some steam.

I agree with the rest of your post. Take a different posture by pulling back to Kuwait and keep forces sustained in Germany with new units in Turkey because if the shit hits the fan again in the Middle East, we are much closer to react.
    Seriously? Did I say that I think the AF does more work? I just said they have different missions than we do which is why they usually have shorter deployments. I definitely know that most AF do not do more work or demand more R & R. I don't recall the article saying we won't get R & R with 9 months though. I could have missed it if it does. I don't think we'd get 15 days anymore but there may still be time off.

I say we just get the f* outta there period. "If the shit hits the fan again in the Middle East..." We brought the shit! We went to Afghanistan because they wouldn't give up bin Laden. Well we got him. Let's go. We went to Iraq for who multiple reasons but should not have gone when we went. Basically I think we went so Bush Jr could finish what Daddy started. And eventually I think Saddam would be a threat. Okay he's gone and his sick sadistic sons. We gave them the tools to build a country. Have fun Iraq and time to go at the end of the year.

I don't compare myself to what the AF does. I work with the AF and there are things they do that we don't do. Different services, different things. If they get R & R and we don't - that will suck but there isn't much that can be done except complain about it. But I think there will be something. If it is 4 day where will we go? They stopped the 4 day in Qatar from what I recall reading or are going to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JStatus330 View Post
    Didn't realize someone forced you to join the Army. Sounds like pretty unique circumstances.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer