Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

  1. #21
    Senior Member jshiver15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    Quote Originally Posted by JStatus330 View Post
    So the Army will deploy for 9 months and not get R&R, yet the Air Force will still do their 6 month deployments and get R&R? Sounds fair.
    Didn't realize someone forced you to join the Army. Sounds like pretty unique circumstances.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

    Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

  2. #22
    Senior Member jshiver15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    Quote Originally Posted by Creaminess View Post
    How am I out of my lane? I'm not saying the Army has it harder than the Air Force based simply on the longer deployments (some "deployed" Army folks have it as good as they do at home...even better in some cases). It's a matter of common sense that somebody on a shorter deployment shouldn't get R&R if somebody on a deployment 50% longer doesn't get it. Let's take what branches they are completely out of it. Let's say 2 Army guys deploy, one for 6 months and one for 9 months. Which of them should get the R&R leave? I think it's pretty clear what the answer is to anybody using rational thought.
    I'm not going to try and speak for the Army, but I do know a few guys who just got back from a 1 year deployment who worked a Panama schedule while they were down range. That means half of the time they were there, they were off. But like I said, I'm not going to speak for the Army as a whole because I don't know what your normal ops tempo is down range. However, in my AFSC (MOS to you), I can deploy for 6 months and work 8-12 hour shifts everyday while I'm there. We don't deploy as a unit, so when we get downrange we're usually on our own or with a 3-4 man team, so time off isn't possible.

    I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone, I'm stationed at an Army base and I see a lot of the training you guys go through and I can say I'd prefer not switching places. I chose a different path in life so I'm not going to bitch because someone's job entails different things than mine does. I'm never shy to complain about someone who doesn't do their job, but I'm not going to diminish someone's efforts or worth because they happen to be doing something that I may see as being easier than my job.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

    Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    I think it's common sense. I'm not in any way attacking the Navy or Air Force. They have a mission and a purpose and they are serving in their respective areas. It's just a question of equality and making sense. If Army personnel can't take leave in a 9 month deployment, then no one else should be able to. Especially if this is a question of saving money. I feel especially bad for combat MOS' who bear most of the burden going 9 months with no leave. A Soldier who is patrolling villages daily, showering once a week (if that), eating small portions of food because there isn't enough to go around, getting shot at daily, and not knowing if they will make it back to their family, well if they can't have leave, then the Airman or Sailor who never leaves the wire, gets days off, showers daily, has hot chow amenities readily available for only a 6 month tour should not get leave. I work in an office MOS (42A) and I don't even get any days off. I guess it depends on chain of command though. Maybe some Army units get days off while others don't.

  4. #24
    Senior Member giggawatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    The AF does not normally get R&R for normal 6 month deployments. Those deployments where we are working with/for an army unit or other hazardous duties such as convoying etc, we are offered 4 days within the AOR (Qatar) IF we have a lot sand in our vag. That security forces dude who said he was getting 2 weeks R&R for a deployment to Al Udeid and 30 days leave upon return is full of shit. Everyone gets 30 days of accrued leave annually. No one gets 30 days of leave for deploying. We get 2 weeks of re-integration/decompression time upon return. Come to think of it, that's probably what he was referring to. During that 2 week time period, we are not aloud to go anywhere that we would normally have to take chargeable leave for and anywhere we do go is at our own expense. But here in Europe, the Army gets 1 four day weekend a month. The AF gets sporadic goal/family days but they are only 3 day weekends.

  5. #25
    Senior Member jshiver15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    Quote Originally Posted by JStatus330 View Post
    I think it's common sense. I'm not in any way attacking the Navy or Air Force. They have a mission and a purpose and they are serving in their respective areas. It's just a question of equality and making sense. If Army personnel can't take leave in a 9 month deployment, then no one else should be able to. Especially if this is a question of saving money. I feel especially bad for combat MOS' who bear most of the burden going 9 months with no leave. A Soldier who is patrolling villages daily, showering once a week (if that), eating small portions of food because there isn't enough to go around, getting shot at daily, and not knowing if they will make it back to their family, well if they can't have leave, then the Airman or Sailor who never leaves the wire, gets days off, showers daily, has hot chow amenities readily available for only a 6 month tour should not get leave. I work in an office MOS (42A) and I don't even get any days off. I guess it depends on chain of command though. Maybe some Army units get days off while others don't.
    Who is getting to take leave while being deployed? And how do you know Airmen and Sailors don't leave the wire? I think you're basing your opinion off of a lot of assumptions.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

    Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

  6. #26
    Senior Member jshiver15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    The AF does not normally get R&R for normal 6 month deployments. Those deployments where we are working with/for an army unit or other hazardous duties such as convoying etc, we are offered 4 days within the AOR (Qatar) IF we have a lot sand in our vag. That security forces dude who said he was getting 2 weeks R&R for a deployment to Al Udeid and 30 days leave upon return is full of shit. Everyone gets 30 days of accrued leave annually. No one gets 30 days of leave for deploying. We get 2 weeks of re-integration/decompression time upon return. Come to think of it, that's probably what he was referring to. During that 2 week time period, we are not aloud to go anywhere that we would normally have to take chargeable leave for and anywhere we do go is at our own expense. But here in Europe, the Army gets 1 four day weekend a month. The AF gets sporadic goal/family days but they are only 3 day weekends.
    In response to the area I put in bold, that's exactly right about the 2 weeks of "R&R". We had some guys come back recently and their "R&R" was spent doing re-integration briefs, ancillary training, suicide prevention briefs, PTSD briefs, etc., etc. And no, they did not get to leave the local area as stated.

    We just recently got to start partaking in the 4-day weekends here.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

    Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

  7. #27
    Junior Member itty1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MacDill, FL
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    Quote Originally Posted by JStatus330 View Post
    So the Army will deploy for 9 months and not get R&R, yet the Air Force will still do their 6 month deployments and get R&R? Sounds fair.
    I am Air Force, and I have never had any R&R on a 6 month deloyment. The only R&R I have had was when I deployed out with the army, yes it was a 9 month deployment with 3 month build up at Bragg.
    If at first you don't succeed, Hit it with a bigger hammer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirtland_Red_Storm View Post
    Conservative could mean the difference between if I shoot them once or multiple times, it a matter of how much ammo I have......

  8. #28
    Junior Member itty1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MacDill, FL
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    [QUOTE=JStatus330;463458A Soldier who is patrolling villages daily, showering once a week (if that), eating small portions of food because there isn't enough to go around, getting shot at daily, and not knowing if they will make it back to their family, well if they can't have leave, then the Airman or Sailor who never leaves the wire, gets days off, showers daily, has hot chow amenities readily available for only a 6 month tour should not get leave.[/QUOTE]
    From your wording I will call you ignorant. There are airmen, and sailors deploying out with Army units, and unlike the Army, we deploy one or two people from each base to a certain location. You say that we do not leave the wire? I think out of the seven day work week that we had, I stayed inside the wire one or two days, and that was to fix the trucks that were damaged from going outside the wire. So I will ask that you know what and who you are speaking to and about

    Quote Originally Posted by JStatus330 View Post
    I work in an office MOS (42A) and I don't even get any days off. I guess it depends on chain of command though. Maybe some Army units get days off while others don't.
    As I stated before, maybe you should know what you are talking about before you speak. Have you ever hear the saying those who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones? Before you talk about people who do not go out of the wire, why dont you step outside and see who is there first?
    If at first you don't succeed, Hit it with a bigger hammer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirtland_Red_Storm View Post
    Conservative could mean the difference between if I shoot them once or multiple times, it a matter of how much ammo I have......

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    Thank God! It's still a lonnng 9 months for those of us here. They work harder and longer than anyone outside of forces realize.... They are ALL family

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Army announces switch to 9-month deployments

    That's a lame answer for someone who is enjoying the freedoms many died protecting. If these kids hadn't stepped up for the country we believe is worth protecting, you'd be alot worse off...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •