Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 254

Thread: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

  1. #1
    Senior Member DarkHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Great Lakes, IL
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Another nail in the coffin for this disgusting law.

    A California bankruptcy court Monday ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act violates the equal-protection guarantee of the U.S. Constitution.

    In a decision Monday signed in Los Angeles by 20 judges of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California, the court found that “there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA.”
    Full article from the Wall Street Journal

    For those of you with sad, meaningless childhoods, the forum title is a reference to Kids in the Hall skit "30 Helens agree...."
    HM2


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,324
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Personally, even though i am NOT religious, since marriage has always been linked to religion, and therefore has abided by those rules of religion, i don't think this should be decided by the govt, but by the churches..

  3. #3
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    800
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Personally, even though i am NOT religious, since marriage has always been linked to religion, and therefore has abided by those rules of religion, i don't think this should be decided by the govt, but by the churches..
    And what if the couple are atheists? Why should any church determine what or what constitutes a marriage. As I've said before, a church wedding is a combination of two ceremonies: the civil ceremony recognizes the legal (government) rights of a marriage while the religious ceremony recognizes the rights of that particular church beliefs.

    So who should decide? Let the couple decide which they want. Both government and churches can decide who can and cannot get married under their jurisdiction.

  4. #4
    Member Your_Name_Here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Some AETC base in TX
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
    Another nail in the coffin for this disgusting law.



    Full article from the Wall Street Journal

    For those of you with sad, meaningless childhoods, the forum title is a reference to Kids in the Hall skit "30 Helens agree...."
    It's not my fault I didn't have CATV growing up.
    Something or other, of the Troll Cabal (Retired)

    "You don't need to see my identification."
    "I'm not the Troll you're looking for."
    "I can go about my business."
    "Move along."

    "Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership."--Colin Powell

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Local Group
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Personally, even though i am NOT religious, since marriage has always been linked to religion, and therefore has abided by those rules of religion, i don't think this should be decided by the govt, but by the churches..
    Marriage has NOT always been linked to religion. Way, way back when marriage was basically a social contract between families. We give you our daughter, in return you give us a sack of onions and a goat. It wasn't until much later in civilization that the religious aspect came on the scene. To the thoroughly cynical among us such as me, the only reason the Church is involved with marriage is so they can make some money off of it.
    Retirement rocks!


    A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Shrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Local Group
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerE8 View Post
    Well I promise if you can find 20 Judges that say there is no valid basis then you can find 20 more who say there is a valid basis. I say put it to a vote and let the people decide. Just like in California with Prop. 8, let the voice of the people be heard...DOM will pass in almost all states. Marriage is a state issue, not a national issue! If Mass. wants "same sex marriage" then good for them if thats what the people vote on and approve; if Tx is against it than so be it. Leave it to the states to decide, which is where where it belongs...after all we are only talking about the breakdown of our moral fiber as a society and everyone should have a say in that...no big deal. Majority rules...or at least thats how it is supposed to be.
    Yes, because the 50% failure rate of heterosexual marriages - and I'd guess the majority of these were performed in christian churches - is a testament to the outstanding moral values of our nation and the holiness of the sacred bonds of marriage.






    Retirement rocks!


    A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerE8 View Post
    Well I promise if you can find 20 Judges that say there is no valid basis then you can find 20 more who say there is a valid basis. I say put it to a vote and let the people decide. Just like in California with Prop. 8, let the voice of the people be heard...DOM will pass in almost all states. Marriage is a state issue, not a national issue! If Mass. wants "same sex marriage" then good for them if thats what the people vote on and approve; if Tx is against it than so be it. Leave it to the states to decide, which is where where it belongs...after all we are only talking about the breakdown of our moral fiber as a society and everyone should have a say in that...no big deal. Majority rules...or at least thats how it is supposed to be.
    Monkey brain, please know what you're talking about. We are a Constitutional Republic. That means the minority are protected from the abuses of the majority.
    He who is remembered, is immortal. But he who is forgotton, never lived.
    We are the beasts, the bastards, the terrors in the night. And we're all that stand between you and what you fear most.
    Shaman Arbites of the Troll Cabal
    I voted for Shrike and all I got was this stupid Ambassadorship!
    Shrike's Czar of the War on Flat-Chestedness

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Since you have resorted to name calling..must be a Democrat (guess I am doing the same becuase suggesting your a Democrat is way more offensive than being called monkey Brain) my apologies . Where is the abuse in DOMA...that it is limited to male and female? That is not an abuse, that is marriage. Make civil unions legal or something similar. But, leave it to the States to decide. And you are right (minority are protected from the abuses of the majority) that should be the case, but that does not mean that the minority should always get thier way... now we are driven by the minority because one person CANNOT be offened, so everyone else has to adapt to them, instead of them adapting to the majority. That is the way things are heading now...hence the frivilous lawsuites that actully see the light of a court room because someone does not like the Pledge of Allegiance or a prayer, Under God on coins, etc. I guess we are all entitled to our opinions...I can respect yours even if I disagree. I just think the PC world of today is way out of control.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Well this issue is way too much of a "hot button" kind of thing...I am bowing out of the conversation. Good luck to all, no matter what your beliefs are.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
    Marriage has NOT always been linked to religion. Way, way back when marriage was basically a social contract between families. We give you our daughter, in return you give us a sack of onions and a goat. It wasn't until much later in civilization that the religious aspect came on the scene. To the thoroughly cynical among us such as me, the only reason the Church is involved with marriage is so they can make some money off of it.
    Ahh, the good ole days...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •