Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 20 Judges agree, "there is no valid governmental basis for DOMA."

Well, I'm not a Democrat, I'm Moderate, and I have an extreme distaste for those who spout off without knowing of what they speak.
    He who is remembered, is immortal. But he who is forgotton, never lived.
    We are the beasts, the bastards, the terrors in the night. And we're all that stand between you and what you fear most.
    Shaman Arbites of the Troll Cabal
    I voted for Shrike and all I got was this stupid Ambassadorship!
    Shrike's Czar of the War on Flat-Chestedness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
    Well, I'm not a Democrat, I'm Moderate, and I have an extreme distaste for those who spout off without knowing of what they speak.
    What's unfortunate is everything he stated about the decision-making capability related to marriage should rest with the states makes perfect sense from my standpoint. Then he launched into the old smarg rhetoric about the breakdown of moral society and flushed it all down the toilet.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DOMA is a blatant violation of the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution. Yes its a State's right to not recognize gay marriage (not really, majority rule not too long ago wouldn't let blacks marry non-blacks), but it's not there right to ignor the marriages of people from other states.

Its cowardly and disgusting to hide behind "State's Rights" when Equal Rights are at stake. I believe in small government but this country is founded on the equality of all as human beings, not whatever the voting white christian public decides.
    HM2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerE8 View Post
    Well I promise if you can find 20 Judges that say there is no valid basis then you can find 20 more who say there is a valid basis. I say put it to a vote and let the people decide. Just like in California with Prop. 8, let the voice of the people be heard...DOM will pass in almost all states. Marriage is a state issue, not a national issue! If Mass. wants "same sex marriage" then good for them if thats what the people vote on and approve; if Tx is against it than so be it. Leave it to the states to decide, which is where where it belongs...after all we are only talking about the breakdown of our moral fiber as a society and everyone should have a say in that...no big deal. Majority rules...or at least thats how it is supposed to be.
    The problem with putting things like this up for popular vote is that some things are too important for a vote like that. When an issue concerns a group's Constitutional rights, it's not up to the people, it's up to those people who interpret the Constitution. How long would it have taken to end segregation if it was left up to a popular vote by each individual state?

Majority rules is not how it is supposed to be, because then minorities will never be heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
    Translation is: You have a distaste for anyone who disagrees with your view. That is what DOMA is about, how some view marriage as opposed to how others view it. Does not make one right or the other wrong...everyone has an opinion on this and some are very strong on both sides. Does not make them right or wrong, simply how they feel. That is the beauty of living in the good ole USA. We can agree, diasagree and in the end whatever happnes we press on. For the most part anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
    The problem with putting things like this up for popular vote is that some things are too important for a vote like that. When an issue concerns a group's Constitutional rights, it's not up to the people, it's up to those people who interpret the Constitution. How long would it have taken to end segregation if it was left up to a popular vote by each individual state?

Majority rules is not how it is supposed to be, because then minorities will never be heard.
    Very valid points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iReddit View Post
    Ahh, the good ole days...
    I didn't give my wife's family any onions at all. My wife brought a couple of melons with her, though.

Buh-dum-dum.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget to tip your bartender and waitress!
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post

At first I thought you had a pretty stupid argument, saying "it's not up to the people." Your comment about segregation completely changed my mind though. Great points!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
    DOMA is a blatant violation of the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution. Yes its a State's right to not recognize gay marriage (not really, majority rule not too long ago wouldn't let blacks marry non-blacks), but it's not there right to ignor the marriages of people from other states.

Its cowardly and disgusting to hide behind "State's Rights" when Equal Rights are at stake. I believe in small government but this country is founded on the equality of all as human beings, not whatever the voting white christian public decides.
    ...if it's a "blatant violation of the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution" why has the Supreme Court not taken any action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post

Isn't it equally cowardly and disgusting to fly the banner of Equal Rights on a crusade for rights that don't fall under that heading? Gay marriage has nothing to do with equal rights. You currently have just as much right to marry a woman as a homosexual man as a heterosexual man does. A homosexual woman has just as much right to marry a man as a heterosexual woman... Or are you claiming they don't?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings