Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

  1. #1
    Junior Member PatrickP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    Air Force will lose 22 general officer billets and will have eight of its top scientist positions downgraded as part of wide-ranging cuts by the Pentagon aimed at shrinking the size of the military budget, Air Force Times has learned.
    The memo targets 130 of the military’s 952 general and flag officer billets for elimination or reduction in rank, and the Air Force takes a bigger hit than the other services.
    Just 22? Somebody tell Bob Gates he can eliminate more than that from the AF...we should give up more GO positions to show the Army and Marines we are "all in" :nod
    If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to do so from the neck up instead of from the neck down.
    General James H. Doolittle

    Air power alone does not guarantee America's security, but I believe it best exploits the nation's greatest asset — our technical skill.
    General Hoyt S. Vandenberg, second CSAF

    It's STILL Bush's fault!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    If this is similar to the article about GO cuts I read in AFT last week, then I am not sure if it will be any realized savings... Once you make 2- or 3- star...your pay ends up being capped. The article talked about changing various billets at various locations. So, if you take a 4-star billet and knock it down to a 3-star...where is the savings - they are both making the same because their pay is capped at around $14-15,000 a month.

    And if you are talking 2- to 1-star billet...you are only talking $1-2K a month.

    I agree we need to cut some of the big wigs out because there are far too many, but not sure this is much of anything for real.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gopherhole, Nebraska
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    The grade creep in the AF has become out of control in the last 10 years. I strongly agree...the AF should eliminate 100 of their generals and 100 of their SES's. They should reduce all Wing CC's from 1-star to colonel, like that crummy little AF base in Nebraska. The AF should reduce their vice/deputy CoS to a 3-star position. Also, the AF should reduce all lettered commands (AMC, ACC, etc) vice-CC's to 3-star. All numbered AF's (8th, 12th, etc) should have their vice-CC's reduced to 1-star. All Wing vice/deputy CC's should be reduced to light colonel (O-5). All Group CC's and their deputies should be Lt. Colonels and Majors. AF squadron CC's should be reduced to Majors. There are too many AF flag officers (active and civilian) in the joint military commands (36 in that little, good for nothing joint military command in Nebraska) overseeing each other. Then they retire, collect their 6-figure pensions, go to work for a defense contractor, collect another 6-figure income...and still oversee each other. The grade creep has got to end.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Osan AB, ROK
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    Can we take the money from the cuts and put it into NIPR computers that will work?

  5. #5
    takthekak
    Guest

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    The grade creep in the AF has become out of control in the last 10 years. I strongly agree...the AF should eliminate 100 of their generals and 100 of their SES's. They should reduce all Wing CC's from 1-star to colonel, like that crummy little AF base in Nebraska. The AF should reduce their vice/deputy CoS to a 3-star position. Also, the AF should reduce all lettered commands (AMC, ACC, etc) vice-CC's to 3-star. All numbered AF's (8th, 12th, etc) should have their vice-CC's reduced to 1-star. All Wing vice/deputy CC's should be reduced to light colonel (O-5). All Group CC's and their deputies should be Lt. Colonels and Majors. AF squadron CC's should be reduced to Majors. There are too many AF flag officers (active and civilian) in the joint military commands (36 in that little, good for nothing joint military command in Nebraska) overseeing each other. Then they retire, collect their 6-figure pensions, go to work for a defense contractor, collect another 6-figure income...and still oversee each other. The grade creep has got to end.
    "Are you not entertained" with these cuts?

  6. #6
    Senior Member BRUWIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    You guys seem to think losing 22 GOs is gonna mean nothing to the AF. That's 22 GOs averaging about 30 years of knowledge and expertise. How many total years of knowledge and experience are we gonna lose? Do the math...I bet it's a lot. I come up with about 660 years...but I was using my fingers so I may be off a little bit.

    Anyways..you talk about a leadership void. Mark my words...this will break us. I give it one or two years and people are gonna be running around with no reflective belts and wearing black sox with PT gear because now GOs will not be around to the tell Chief, who tells the First Sergeant, who tells the SNCO's, who tells the rest of the Air Force to get their shit uptight. It all starts from the top...and if the top ain't there then the house of cards falls. Well, maybe not fall because I guess GOs are at the very top. The house of cards will do something though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by VFFSSGT View Post
    If this is similar to the article about GO cuts I read in AFT last week, then I am not sure if it will be any realized savings... Once you make 2- or 3- star...your pay ends up being capped. The article talked about changing various billets at various locations. So, if you take a 4-star billet and knock it down to a 3-star...where is the savings - they are both making the same because their pay is capped at around $14-15,000 a month.

    And if you are talking 2- to 1-star billet...you are only talking $1-2K a month.

    I agree we need to cut some of the big wigs out because there are far too many, but not sure this is much of anything for real.
    Its not even about their pay. Look at the funds that go into the perks for being a General. That is where the real savings are going to come from.

    As far as experience, the same people are going to fill the jobs with the same experience, the only change is they will not get that extra star. Nothing will change there.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    WPAFB
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    The grade creep in the AF has become out of control in the last 10 years. I strongly agree...the AF should eliminate 100 of their generals and 100 of their SES's. They should reduce all Wing CC's from 1-star to colonel, like that crummy little AF base in Nebraska. The AF should reduce their vice/deputy CoS to a 3-star position. Also, the AF should reduce all lettered commands (AMC, ACC, etc) vice-CC's to 3-star. All numbered AF's (8th, 12th, etc) should have their vice-CC's reduced to 1-star. All Wing vice/deputy CC's should be reduced to light colonel (O-5). All Group CC's and their deputies should be Lt. Colonels and Majors. AF squadron CC's should be reduced to Majors. There are too many AF flag officers (active and civilian) in the joint military commands (36 in that little, good for nothing joint military command in Nebraska) overseeing each other. Then they retire, collect their 6-figure pensions, go to work for a defense contractor, collect another 6-figure income...and still oversee each other. The grade creep has got to end.
    You know I hate to agree with him, but he is right. I remember reading somewhere about six months ago that we have more GO`s just n the AF than we did for all of the services at the height of WWII. I think they need to cut allot more of the O` positions from GO down to LT. Hell have 7 LRO`s in my squadron right now and for the life of me can`t tell you any purpose that they serve. Other than PTL`s

  9. #9
    Senior Member Shrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Local Group
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhound View Post
    You know I hate to agree with him, but he is right. I remember reading somewhere about six months ago that we have more GO`s just n the AF than we did for all of the services at the height of WWII. I think they need to cut allot more of the O` positions from GO down to LT. Hell have 7 LRO`s in my squadron right now and for the life of me can`t tell you any purpose that they serve. Other than PTL`s
    Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me that, for one example, we have COCOMs commanded by four-star generals, and the subordinate service component commanders are also often four-stars.
    Retirement rocks!


    A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Air Force to cut 22 general officer jobs

    We need to cut officers pay. It's not like they are doing work compared to the enlisted force. Ask your superintendent who the commander asks for advice.

    I bet you its not from the Lieutenant or Captain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •