Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer Accountability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Officer Accountability

From Armed Forces Journal

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2010/12/5302816

Officer accountability

TO AIR FORCE SECRETARY MICHAEL DONLEY AND CHIEF OF STAFF GEN. NORTON SCHWARTZ for putting action behind their word when they pledged early in their tenures to hold accountable those who fail in their duties.
    Fourteen Air Force generals have been written up in two years — five in December alone for mishandling $87 million in funds for permanent-change-of-station moves. All but one received letters of admonishment from Donley and Schwartz. The other received a more serious letter of reprimand. Their screw-ups? Everything from shipping nuclear components to Taiwan to having an extramarital affair. Donley even made Air Force history by disciplining a former chief of staff, issuing a letter of admonishment to retired Gen. T. Michael Moseley for accepting gifts from a friend whose company later won a $50 million contract from the Thunderbirds.
    The Air Force has never before disciplined its top leadership like this. No one likes to see senior officers punished. But the fact that they do face serious — and public — repercussions is essential in an organization that routinely (and still more harshly than is perhaps fair) metes out discipline to enlisted airmen and junior officers. Making generals publicly accountable when they break rules is important for the credibility of the entire institution.

Junior Member Kirtland_Red_Storm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Officer Accountability

Officer accountability

TO AIR FORCE SECRETARY MICHAEL DONLEY AND CHIEF OF STAFF GEN. NORTON SCHWARTZ for putting action behind their word when they pledged early in their tenures to hold accountable those who fail in their duties.

my response:

LMAO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm still trying to figure out what actual "UCMJ" action was taken that holds these Generals accountable.

Were they fined? Reduced in grade? No, issued a piece of paper that proper saw daylight long enough to find the closest trash can or shredder.

Or how about the two generals that sit at HQ AFMC that were promoted to higher responsibility jobs?

Or how about Jill Metzger and the General North affair?

Yeah, I see the balance of justice here don't you......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I gotta admit...if I spent my time worrying about what officers were doing I wouldn't have stayed in. They really aren't my concern but the system is flawed.

FLAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Kirtland_Red_Storm View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what actual "UCMJ" action was taken that holds these Generals accountable.

Were they fined? Reduced in grade? No, issued a piece of paper that proper saw daylight long enough to find the closest trash can or shredder.

Or how about the two generals that sit at HQ AFMC that were promoted to higher responsibility jobs?

Or how about Jill Metzger and the General North affair?

Yeah, I see the balance of justice here don't you......
    Following the Minot fiasco, Sq, Group, and Wg/CCs were fired from their jobs, which for an officer means the end of the line...career is over. As for the Gen officers, the AF/IL (Lt Gen) was forced to retire as a Maj Gen, and the AFMC/A4(Brig Gen Bruno) retired. Not sure why Maj Gen Close got to advance in position from her Ogden ALC/CC job though...

Although accountability doesn't always seem equitable, there are several examples of officers who were held accountable for their actions....some of which don't really warrant a fine, loss of rank, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Admonishing 14 AF generals is only the tip of the corrupt iceberg in the AF top brass. Donley and Schwartz forgot to go after Goslin, North, McKenzie, Shelton, Koziol, Eidsaune, George, JJ Jones, Chilton, Sams, SES Callicut, SES Carpenter, SES Furlong, Kehler, Hinson, Shanahan, Preston and about 100 other corrupt AF generals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the Navy, the decline of discpline in the surface fleets started when ADM Zumwalt started pumping out his weekly Z-grams, giving the junior sailors more rights and privileges. Then when s**t hit the fan he couldn't understand why his COs couldn't take better control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you hand a Letter of Admonishment to a retired General, he'll smile and just walk away. You have to remember that the Senate has to approve their retirement at the rank they currently hold. Nothing permanent about it, that's why after the fact with just a letter is meaningless.

Close is like Metzger. Both have a keys to the skeleton closet that keeps certain big boys in line.

There was a petite Wolfpack Maintenance Officer that did a favor for a Wing CO at a party. She dressed up in a string bikini and popped out of a travel pod. She wrote her ticket till she retired as a Colonel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have to remember that the Senate has to approve their retirement at the rank they currently hold.
    I remember when it used to be that way for O-10 and O-9 retirements (Presidential nomination and Senate confirmation for retirement in either of those grades, otherwise they retired at their highest permanent grade ... usually O-8). Doesn't work that way any more. Makes it a tiny bit less political.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a petite Wolfpack Maintenance Officer that did a favor for a Wing CO at a party. She dressed up in a string bikini and popped out of a travel pod. She wrote her ticket till she retired as a Colonel.
    Prove it with photos or it didn't happen :fish2