Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PFC Manning Hero?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PFC Manning Hero?

I ran across this yesterday I am surprised that no one has posted about it yet.
    Off the news wires:

Amid calls from some politicians to press treason charges -- which could carry the death penalty -- against whoever leaked secret cables to WikiLeaks, the Berkeley, Calif., entertaining a resolution to declare that an Army private accused of leaking some classified information to the website is an American hero.
    City Peace and Justice Commissioner Bob Meola, who authored the resolution, told the San Francisco Chronicle that Pfc. Bradley Manning, 22, is a patriot who deserves a medal.
    "If he did what he's accused of doing, he's a patriot and should get a medal," Meola told the newspaper. "I think the war criminals should be the ones prosecuted, not the whistle-blowers."
    Manning -- accused of leaking a video that depicted an Army helicopter attack that left 11 people dead in Baghdad and widely suspected of leaking hundreds of thousands of secret cables to WikiLeaks -- is currently being held in a Virginia military brig.
    And that's where he belongs, say members of a national veterans group, who call the Berkeley resolution "appalling."
    Ryan Gallucci, a spokesman for AMVETS, which represents roughly 180,000 U.S. veterans, said the City Council "would be wise" to vote down the resolution in support of Manning. A city commission has already approved the measure, and the Berkeley City Council will vote on it on Tuesday.
    "AMVETS believes it would be appalling to commend someone like Bradley Manning, who has betrayed his country and disgraced the uniform," Gallucci wrote in a statement to FoxNews.com. "Manning not only compromised American interests across the globe, but he has blood on his hands for our Afghan allies sought out by the Taliban from the first leak."
    Gallucci said Berkeley lawmakers should be "ashamed" that the proposal ever surfaced.
    Manning, who has not commented publicly on his case, faces up to 52 years in prison if convicted of leaking the video. Though widely suspected, he has not been charged in connection with the release of hundreds of thousands of classified military documents to WikiLeaks, many of which have been released in the last couple of weeks.
    His civilian attorney, David Coombs, did not return a call seeking comment. Army officials also did not immediately comment when reached by FoxNews.com.
    But Jeff Paterson, an organizer for the Bradley Manning Support Network, said he's "hopeful" the Berkeley resolution will pass.
    "I believe he's a hero," Paterson said. "There's an international witch hunt against WikiLeaks and if Bradley Manning is the source of the material, he needs all of our support."
    Paterson, who will attend Tuesday's vote along with Meola, says he considers the resolution's chances of passing to be "50-50."
    James Carafano, national security expert at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank based in Washington, said he considered the resolution to be jumping the gun.
    "First of all, someone is innocent until proven guilty," Carafano said. "And the investigation is not done. They're kind of pre-judging the judicial system -- at least wait and see what evidence and charges are presented. They have no evidence to base this judgment on."
    If Manning is ultimately charged and proven guilty of leaking the sensitive documents, Carafano said, the resolution could be construed as encouraging millions of U.S. military officials with access to sensitive information to disseminate that material.
    "I'm a great lover of democracy and I'm a great lover of federalism," he said. "But if people of that city want to earn the disdain of other Americans, that's their right. If these people want to vote against the crowd, have at it.
    "The most kind and generous thing you could say is that it's completely irresponsible."

All I can say is Wow are these people for real?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: PFC Manning Hero?

Simply a traitor that should get life or the death penalty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Found some additional info on Manning:
    More off the wires:
    HAGERSTOWN, Md. -- A support group for the Soldier suspected of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks says it hasn't received the anti-secrecy group's promised contribution to his legal defense fund. Oakland, Calif.-based Courage to Resist says WikiLeaks agreed in July to cover about half of Pfc. Bradley Manning's defense fees, about $50,000. Project director Jeff Paterson said Wednesday that a German charity official aligned with WikiLeaks told him they now plan to contribute about $20,000 for Manning's defense. Paterson says it hasn't arrived yet. A WikiLeaks spokesman didn't immediately respond to queries from The Associated Press. Manning is being held at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Va.
    Has anyone checked out this “Courage to Resist” web site? If you have not it will P@## you off. Their whole web site is a tribute to all the people who bailed on their buddies in time of war, they (CtoR) call them “Hero’s” instead of what they truly are “Cowards”. Manning has dishonored himself and his comrades!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Found some additional info on Manning:
    More off the wires:
    HAGERSTOWN, Md. -- A support group for the Soldier suspected of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks says it hasn't received the anti-secrecy group's promised contribution to his legal defense fund. Oakland, Calif.-based Courage to Resist says WikiLeaks agreed in July to cover about half of Pfc. Bradley Manning's defense fees, about $50,000. Project director Jeff Paterson said Wednesday that a German charity official aligned with WikiLeaks told him they now plan to contribute about $20,000 for Manning's defense. Paterson says it hasn't arrived yet. A WikiLeaks spokesman didn't immediately respond to queries from The Associated Press. Manning is being held at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Va.
    Has anyone checked out this “Courage to Resist” web site? If you have not it will P@## you off. Their whole web site is a tribute to all the people who bailed on their buddies in time of war, they (CtoR) call them “Hero’s” instead of what they truly are “Cowards”. Manning has dishonored himself and his comrades!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say he deserves a (cow) pie in the face for his actions. Humiliation works so much better than corporal punishment.
    "Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To whom it may concern, I for one can say PFC Manning is indeed an individual of good moral character. He did what others should have but did not have the courage to do. Are you all such war mongers that you have forgotten what your oath stands for? Or do you wish or reject the idea of having domestic enemies?

I want to to refresh your memories.

"I, _____________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States, the governor of the state of _______ (for National Guard enlistees) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Some of you might say that he was to follow the orders of the officers appointed over him. That is only true to some degree. If crimes were committed and then a "COVER UP" followed by an erroneous investigation. Which sadly happens on a weekly basis. Then the order is unlawful. General Military Authority overrides much my friends.

The real crime that is committed are the individuals that try to cover things up. To save their own careers. You call it what you want. I can tell you honestly that the war in Iraq is the biggest load of shit, followed by a side order of extra shitty also known as Afghanistan.

What amuses me ever more is how many of you stand behind our government and our senior officers. What? You think they carry a badge of justice on their chests and walk around with halos over their heads? I think not, guess what.... they don't give two shits about you, me and the man next to you. But they will send you to any country that they have a particular problem or there preconceived agenda is for that country. Dick Cheney was quoted as to say "We were going to invade Iraq anyway." WoW just WoW.

So here we sit with two conflicts, a waining economy, the largest national debt our country has ever seen, 800 billion dollar defense budget, and our own people are suffering on a daily basis. But you will call this young PFC a traitor. The traitors are the ones who are calling the shots and covering it up. Keep the war machine running for their agendas, tune in to CNN and believe what your told to believe. God only knows a third of you are actually capable of critical thinking and the rest of you will roll over on your backs when the master tells you to do so.

Luckily for me I will not be an indentured servant to the government for much longer. It just took a decade to wake up.

Suggested reading for some of you.

American History
    The Bill of Rights / The United States Constitution

Perhaps then you some of you can form a rational conclusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that Manning(not going to use rank that isn't deserved) should be locked up adn thrown in Gen Pop, or put to death whichever longer. For all that agree with what he did and think that everyone needs to know everyone else's secrets, why don't you share your secrets with the world first. Secrets are kept for reasons; embarassment, not to upset others, to save others, etc., etc.

If you have no secrets that you are keeping from others than you have not risked anything. For the majority of people alive fail at everything they try, and we do not want all of our failures to be of public knowledge.

So again I say what ehe did, no matter the reason is still wrong. He HAS cause embarrassment to himself, his uniform, and his country.
    If at first you don't succeed, Hit it with a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirtland_Red_Storm View Post
    Conservative could mean the difference between if I shoot them once or multiple times, it a matter of how much ammo I have......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that Manning(not going to use rank that isn't deserved) should be locked up adn thrown in Gen Pop, or put to death whichever longer. For all that agree with what he did and think that everyone needs to know everyone else's secrets, why don't you share your secrets with the world first. Secrets are kept for reasons; embarassment, not to upset others, to save others, etc., etc.

If you have no secrets that you are keeping from others than you have not risked anything. For the majority of people alive fail at everything they try, and we do not want all of our failures to be of public knowledge.

So again I say what ehe did, no matter the reason is still wrong. He HAS cause embarrassment to himself, his uniform, and his country.

So the correct answer would be to imprison or put an individual to death for having integrity? Let me ask you a few simple questions. Do you uphold our governments agenda by using its armed forces in secret and carrying out military operations outside of the realms of known conflict? Would you agree or disagree that it perpetuates further conflict and enrages those local nationals in those respective countries? Wouldn't you consider that kind of secrecy a crime to the american people? Let me ask you this. Have you ever presented a flag to a wife, a father, a mother? People have the right to know of any wrong doing.

Justified secret material as I have stated before would be that of advanced weapons, communications technology, radar, new forms of encryption data and of course military operations. But be wise to what I just said in terms of military operations. If an operation is a success and in the confines of a known conflict and no crimes have been committed and the reports are accurate then by all means if it warrants to be kept classified keep it that way.

But the point many of us are trying to get through your THICK skulls is when WAR CRIMES or other types of WRONG DOING has occurred which is NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE then it should not be possible to classify it.

But thats the problem isn't? PFC Manning released some footage etc and someone was caught with their pants down. And that's where the irony lies isn't it. Here is another great example, Pat Tillman. Do I need to say more?

You stated secrets are kept for reasons. I do not think embarrassment is a justifiable reason to classify something. To not to upset others? Hmm again like Pat Tillman? To save others? You mean to save others careers at the expense of whom?

I hate to break this to you all you work for the american people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's American people, not american people. Laws concerning espionage have been around a long time (are constitutional in other words), just ask the Rosenbergs. Oh wait, we can't, we executed them.