Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 138

Thread: Minot; where easy is hard

  1. #1
    takthekak
    Guest

    Minot; where easy is hard

    So you thought dressing didn't take too much thought? think again

    http://www.minot.af.mil/photos/slideshow.asp?id={7760B56B-3793-4A1A-9487-92729AC0A2BA}

    This dual wing base is agruably the worst in the DoD. The weather get's down
    to -60 below or worse with wind chill. They have two seasons; summer and winter.

    The downtown community makes $360M off the base and don't have anything for them in town, not even a military discount at the theatre.

    Both missions on base are nuclear, hence the biggest headaches and worse inspections known to man and of course they mostly are not deconflicted.

    The housing rate in town is filled at 0.3 open. The rent has risen by 10% for the last three years, but BAH has only risen 5%.

    Most people are stuck here for 4 years and some either PCA back and forth from one side of the wing to the next or go to Korea for a follow-on.

    Becuase it's a dual wing, there is very limited support, becuase each side "hooks up" the other with services and no one is manned adequatly to help the other side.

    Deployments are plentiful and usually everyone wants to go, especially during winter.

    The funerals stop during the winter becuase the ground is frozen, so it's wait in the mourge until the winter ends.

    Lastly, ND is the least visited state in the Nation and has no landmark that anyone wants to see. I guess in a nutshell, it sucks balls!!!

    Photo is from Jamestown, ND in 1966

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    Seriously...this required a thread? Is this from that same place where your morale is super high? Where people are removed from duty obligations so that they can focus strictly on passing PT?



    So let's summarize -
    1. We need some leadership that can get a better handle on controlling the weather! No spring or fall? No Air Force.
    2. Make Minot like all the other bases where the locals right off the base treat us like gold (aka NOWHERE).
    3. Raise the Ops Tempo at places like Hickam or Ramstein...cuz if you're working non-stop, you at least want to know that there's a whole lot of awesomeness right next to you that you're missing.
    4. The TOS station needs tobe the same everywhere. There's no reason that the AF should require a longer tenure at Minot than other places.
    5. Showdown on Main Street between the two Wing Commanders at high noon. Losing wing must pack up and move to Myrtle Beach and re-open the base.
    6. Deploy engineering teams to ND in the summer to pre-dig graves so that people can die in the winter.
    7. Come up with ONE winter uniform combination and stick to it. Bring back mukaluks while you're at it. No one will come to visit us because our mixture of uniform items confuses them...

  3. #3
    takthekak
    Guest

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVO10000 View Post
    Seriously...this required a thread? Is this from that same place where your morale is super high? Where people are removed from duty obligations so that they can focus strictly on passing PT?



    So let's summarize -
    1. We need some leadership that can get a better handle on controlling the weather! No spring or fall? No Air Force.
    2. Make Minot like all the other bases where the locals right off the base treat us like gold (aka NOWHERE).
    3. Raise the Ops Tempo at places like Hickam or Ramstein...cuz if you're working non-stop, you at least want to know that there's a whole lot of awesomeness right next to you that you're missing.
    4. The TOS station needs tobe the same everywhere. There's no reason that the AF should require a longer tenure at Minot than other places.
    5. Showdown on Main Street between the two Wing Commanders at high noon. Losing wing must pack up and move to Myrtle Beach and re-open the base.
    6. Deploy engineering teams to ND in the summer to pre-dig graves so that people can die in the winter.
    7. Come up with ONE winter uniform combination and stick to it. Bring back mukaluks while you're at it. No one will come to visit us because our mixture of uniform items confuses them...
    You've pulled a tour here?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    Quote Originally Posted by takthekak View Post
    You've pulled a tour here?
    I've pulled tours LOTS of places. Think you have the market cornered on crappy locations?

  5. #5
    takthekak
    Guest

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVO10000 View Post
    I've pulled tours LOTS of places. Think you have the market cornered on crappy locations?
    After three tours at Minot, yes.

    Please stay out of my meaningless whiney thread.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    Quote Originally Posted by takthekak View Post
    After three tours at Minot, yes.

    Please stay out of my meaningless whiney thread.
    Right-o. Enjoy your pity party. I'll go hang out with the grown-ups.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    Make Minot like all the other bases where the locals right off the base treat us like gold (aka NOWHERE).
    Hey wait a minute there, the locals here treat us like gold. (Yokota AB, Japan).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sooner Nation
    Posts
    300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    "deployments" to guam....lol Real rough. I did a nickel+ in Minot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

  9. #9
    Junior Member StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    I did three years in Minot and actually enjoyed it. In fact I was standing off the wing of a B52 loaded with nukes when Sep 11 happened.
    We were promptly ordered to lock 'n load and take out a Cessna flying over.
    What a day that was. We were smack dab in the middle of an NSI.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Minot; where easy is hard

    I guess I'm missing what's so bad about the uniform page. Personally I think it's pretty cool there's a cut-and-dry place to go see what you can and cannot wear.

    As for it being the worst base in the DoD, while I've never been there, I'd have to say that's relative. I was at Laughlin AFB for 3.5 years, and except for the weather it's a similar story. Substitute nukes with thousands of 2nd lieutenants who all think they're the next Maverick (and NO other mission) and you get the picture. Still, some people loved it there.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][URL="http://www.afblues.com"]Air Force Blues [/URL]| [URL="http://www.airforcetimes.com/tnlink.php"]Air Force Toons [/URL]| [URL="http://www.mildenhall.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123151419"]Box D Blues[/URL][/FONT]

Similar Threads

  1. Minot; where easy is hard
    By takthekak in forum Air Force
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •