Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Minot; where easy is hard

JeffyB

Re: Minot; where easy is hard

I'd have no problem heading up there... Already did a Thule and an Ellsworth tour back to back; volunteered for both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFCARTOONIST View Post
    I guess I'm missing what's so bad about the uniform page. Personally I think it's pretty cool there's a cut-and-dry place to go see what you can and cannot wear.

As for it being the worst base in the DoD, while I've never been there, I'd have to say that's relative. I was at Laughlin AFB for 3.5 years, and except for the weather it's a similar story. Substitute nukes with thousands of 2nd lieutenants who all think they're the next Maverick (and NO other mission) and you get the picture. Still, some people loved it there.
    That is true everywhere. Any location you go to, some love it, some hate it. Cannon, some people tried to get Minot to get out fo Cannon others retired and stayed there. Hickham, some love it, others whine about the cost of living. You can never please everyone and there is always someone that says their base is the worst for one reason or another (though some cases are harder to sympathize with than others). I think any location you have been stationed at 3x without wanting to go to once would be bad...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Forsaken Wombat

Quote Originally Posted by dakratassassin View Post
    Minot is my 6th assignment and I will say all the good outweights the bad. Now if you are a single airman here, I do feel sorry for your lack of options, but the GF/BF mecca of Canada is only 30 miles away. As far as the non existant service on base, the lack of entertainment, the weather...the fact that I can let my kids walk down the street, leave my house unlocked, leave my vehicle running downtown and not have a single worry that something bad is going to happen...for me...that makes Minot ND one of the best assignments in the AF.
    Funny...Goldsboro, NC (home city to SJAFB, gee whiz) is a great place. Except you go out the back gate (Slocumb Street Gate) and you have to navigate about one mile of streets that are dead center in the projects. And not "projects" derogatory..."projects" as in actual social housing filled with 50 Cent and DMX types who rub shoulders with the base perimeter fencing. Once you pass the liquor/fried chicken store with caged windows and a frequent police presence, you're good to go.

As for the front gate, the biggest dangers are the "28% APR Buy Here-Pay Here" car places and numerous dive bars, all of which seem to swallow Airmen alive.

But it's still a great place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fort Wainwright (former Ladd AFB) and Eilson AFB are worse than Minot. It's just as cold and just as miserable. You have to plug in your car in the winter and leave it running when you go shopping. My uncle, aunt and cousins were stationed there back in the early 1950's and I was stationed there in the early 1980's, and it was the pits. The anti-government and anti-military sentiment in interior Alaska will never go away, no matter what Palin says. There's too many secessionists roaming around loose in Alaska.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what the issue is with the uniforms? Are you insinuating that Minot is the only place that requires you to wear a uniform? On an unrelated note...I miss my parka....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fort Wainwright isn't bad at all these days. Most new housing comes with heated floors and garages. The town has really grown up in the last seven years I've been up here.

I'm not from Eilson, but it looks pretty nice as well. The housing is nice, and they just got a new PX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eielson AFB was AWESOME!!! I would go back there in a heartbeat. I was stationed there from 2003 to 2006 and I went TDY there in 2009. Sure its cold, but there are plenty of things to do during the Winter. Snowboarding and Snow Mobile riding were always my favorite. The town has gotten bigger and has more things there than they did when I was stationed there. There is also a new BX and remodeled Commisary, the gym has just added a HUGE annex that has a indoor track, cardio room, football field, and other amenities. They have built new housing and it is now privatized. The cold does suck, but your talking to a person that worked out on the flightline and I STILL loved it there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alot of money has been put into Fort Wainwright and Eilson as of late. I'm dreading leaving this place. Not so much anti-military sentiment off post either. Military discounts are all over the place. Only thing is I see Soldiers getting ripped off with high rent for shabby places.

I'd like to see someone from Minot do a tour at Fort Greely. My wife was stationed there when we were dating. Her front door blew open one night while it was -60 and thats not counting the wind chill with an 80 mph wind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anybody remember Loring AFB? 1 tour there and 2 at Grand Forks. Can't say they were my favorite bases, but they were an experience i'll never forget. :rapture
    "You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on." - Jerry Lewis
    Just an old retired fart

Junior Member Kirtland_Red_Storm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember that Minot was a control tour for five years. You didn't go anywhere, period. Guys in SAC where jumping for the opportunity for stability in their family. Well those were the old SAC days.....don't know what goes into a tour now but the folks still volunteer for it.