Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Memories

I am turning 40 this year and this war is what changed my entire life. I was on the path for 4 years of college and working at the locat paper mill. While working nights at a local hotel I was able to see the briefings given by Swartzkopf and Powell. Months later I was at basic. I am still part of the Army because of the Gulf War. Its not an appreciation moreover a realization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember that in Jan-Apr '91 we had the Gulf War and then in June '91 we had Mt. Pinatubo erupt in the Philippines. Eventually, we had to evacuate Clark AB and all other U.S. installations included, in the process of ending our long time military association and presence in the Philippines and getting out from under the ash of the eruption.

During the Gulf War (including Desert Shield and Desert Storm) it was a busy time at the PACOM (USCINCPAC) command center at Camp Smith, Hawaii. I was superintendent of the Cmd Ctr and the "Blue Eagle" airborne command post (9ACCS) operations and AF SEA to the J-3. During Desert Storm, it was our first time in 20 years to witness, in real-time the "actual" missile (SCUD) firings on our Missile Warnings Systems through the "Defense Support Program. (DSP)" satellites. For the first time, ever, we were providing another nation (Israel) with tactical warning of missile events. Unfortunately, because of the short distances involved, it gave them only about 5 minutes advanced warning before impact.

I remember how enthusiastic our Cruise Missile target planners were about the reports of how accurate and clever were the target route packages, when one day, in a national newspaper a cartoon depicted a cruise missile, in downtown Baghdad, idling at an intersection red light before proceeding on to it's target. Another cartoon depicted a cruise missile idling in front of a 12' wall around Saddam's Comm HQ, eventually levitating to 15' and then proceeding to and destroying the target.

We had a huge, full-time, war battlestaff, 24 hours per day and for once, it seemed, that all were excited to be at work and marveling at the swift and momentous successes of U.S. and coalition forces.

The later, mid year evacuation, closing of installations and returning of our forces from the Philippines marked the end of another era of a long-time presence in the Pacific and the loss of a great AB with a long and memorable history. (Clark was once known to Airmen as the best assignment in the AF, bar none.)

I know that many here, including myself, also have great memories of our time at Clark AB, in the PI.
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was a a special weapons site in Europe. We had increased security and one true attempted entry into the restricted area (a probe). We were on standby incase things became ugly. We never deployed and watched what occurs when you have the right equipment, training and leadership to perfrom your funtion. That was probably the highpoint of the US armed forces. After that the drawdowns started to take their toll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I flew in but took the boat out. Add sneaking (under orders) to my home town guard unit to re-appropriate anything they would spare that we needed. Hitting mop4 faster than I ever thought I could when the Scud that hit the Haffar-al-batten (forgive spelling) hit its secondary boost just overhead. Cooking everything (pack-rats, lizards, snakes, camel) that may be a palatable alternative to the de-hydrated MRE's of the day, and how excited everyone was when we finally got materials to build (showers) after over a month. Shaving everything because it seemed to help with the sand mites, including each others backs...LOL. Yes it was a great time for a teen from a Mississippi swamp. Looking back I'm kinda glad now they turned me down after 9-11. And Building what is still the only relationships in my life that were truly the Brothers I never had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was SW with 3/82FA 1CD Svc Battery. Who were you with, lja0265?

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Greetings,

I saw a post on military.com about the 870th Transportation Company and have been looking for fellow veterans who served in Desert Shield/Desert Storm as it pertains to the following: Mogadishu, Port of Dammam, Batar, KKMC and the Barge floating home. I know my unit was near the Saudi Arabia/Kuwait borders ( oil well fires), anti-chemical shots/pills (anthrax) as well as MOPP 4 during scud attacks. Anybody who served is more then welcome to respond. The specifics have been stated and need a buddy letter to add to my service connected claim. Look forward to someone responding immediately.

Sincerely,

John Holmes