Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's your opinion of soldiers who've never deployed?

I have to agree that deployments should matter in determining promotions, but only for certain MOS's and more senior leader positions. Can't tell you how many times I've had to sit through SGT's Time Training on IED's taught by a SSG with no deployments to their name and finding it hard to not correct them on everything they say. I feel that certain MOS's would gain great benefit in experience from a deployment (such as medics, the big 3 combat series, etc....), while others no so much (such as finance and supply). It would be easier to trust a mortar-man with some combat experience than one without, but I wouldnt care either way for a supply person. And for me, I have a lot more respect for someone who spent their time in the Army in the sandbox at least once, rather than just in schools or staff positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One thing to consider is that while it may be something that is factored in informally, there may be a reluctance to implement any formal consideration because as the war winds down, there is apt to be less deployments and making formal changes that make deployments part of promotion consideration would require us to remain at war indefinately or promotions would stagnate. Another thing to consider is would be do you weigh stateside deployments differently? How about a deployment to Kuwait?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    One thing to consider is that while it may be something that is factored in informally, there may be a reluctance to implement any formal consideration because as the war winds down, there is apt to be less deployments and making formal changes that make deployments part of promotion consideration would require us to remain at war indefinately or promotions would stagnate. Another thing to consider is would be do you weigh stateside deployments differently? How about a deployment to Kuwait?
    Deployment to anywhere would be great. I just can't stand seeing Soldiers or Marines that have been in for a an enlistment or two and have not deployed ANYWHERE. When I was at MCRD Parris Island I saw numerous SNCO's who were there for a number of years. They would literally move around from one position to another. Then they would try and consul people about how Combat is...... B&tch Please....